• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a new deer gun and recoil help please.

child7928

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2013
Hello I'm wondering what deer gun to with. As I also would like use it for lr. I have been using a 7.62x54r but the recoil is a little to much for me.
So my question is what would think of a 7mm-08 for say 300yd, and how would the recoil be compaired to my mossin 7.62x54r ?
Thank you.

The recoil of the 7.62x54R is comparable to the 30-06. The 7mm-08 will have significantly less recoil. I want to use it for long range as well, look at the 6.5 offerings.

I second the 6.5mm offerings: 260 Rem, 6.5x47L, or 6.5 Creedmoor. If you don't reload, then get a 6.5CM because the factory offerings are pretty damn good. If you do reload, any of the options will work for you.

Or consider a lighter recoil rifle in .243 Winchester. With a 95 Ballistic Tip or 85 TSX, or Federal Fusion, you'll have plenty of dead deer at 300 yards!

Reactions: moosemeat
Any brand of lightweight rifle in 243 is plenty for deer, no recoil and tons of hunting ammo available.
Couldn't be simpler.
Cheers

Or consider a lighter recoil rifle in .243 Winchester. With a 95 Ballistic Tip or 85 TSX, or Federal Fusion, you'll have plenty of dead deer at 300 yards!
+1 and with a brake it will be even less . I can even see the trace when shooting my .243 prone at 600 with the brake.

Last edited:
Need a new deer gun and recoil help please.

.243 with 105s will drop them out to 800 with well placed shots. We didn't gut or clean them to check the wound cavity or damage as it is illegal that time of year.

Hello I'm wondering what deer gun to with. As I also would like use it for lr. I have been using a 7.62x54r but the recoil is a little to much for me.
So my question is what would think of a 7mm-08 for say 300yd, and how would the recoil be compaired to my mossin 7.62x54r ?
Thank you.

part of the issue with the mosin is the steel buttplate and stock design. they are kickers.

Thanks for all good info, and yes the 6.5 is a great one. I already have two of them in 6.5x55se, but really looking into a 7m08 for an all around gun to help save my 6.5 for years to come.

7mm-08 will do just fine, all of the major rifle manufactures have current models, and also compact models with "20 bbls for a nice compact brush rifle.

If you are into milsurps, consider a 7x57. Will do everything the 7mm-08 will and can handle heavier projectiles.

.243 is plenty for deer or pronghorn at 400 yards. I will probably pick one up when my kids are old enough to hunt.

7mm-08 is a really versatile chambering. Pick your poison on several great factory hunting rifles.
Tikka T3, Rem 700, Savage 11, Howa 1500/Weatherby Van., Winchester 70..... Any of these are capable of sub-moa accuracy, depending on stock/trigger configurations. All supported in the aftermarket very well too!

Just built a 6.5 x 06. Much better recoil for me than the 06. Especially when using the 30-06 with 180's. In your situation I am going to recommend a .260. The 6.5 in .260 and 6.5 x 47 is a great deer round.

Since you already own 6.5 Swedes, why not stick with it. A nice 6.5 Swede in a modern action would make a stellar big game rifle, as well as be an excellent long range cartridge. Plus you have the added bonus of having Lapua brass and ammo available to you in this cartridge.

One of my dad's Tikka T3s is chambered in the Swede and it is a beauty of a rifle.

Last edited:
My vote would be 6.5 CM, or equivalent. My 13 yo son just killed his first elk at 250 yds with one.
He has shot this rifle out to 800 yds on steel, never complains about any recoil.

Ive recently built a 6x47 Lapua shooting 105 Hybrids and Ilike it so much I will be taking it hunting. Very minimal recoil compared to my 260 shooting 140's. No factory ammo available but it is simple to neck down and load, nothing fancy

6.5x47. I've been using one on white tail and Blackbear for two years now. Recoil is soft, and its super easy to tune a load. The cartridge has superb inherent accuracy, and is very efficient on powder too.

For a hunting rifle i wood go with the .308 and call it a day. Ammo available everywhere and the .308 is plenty to whack any deer under 400 yards. Don't overthink it and recoil will be less than the old mosin nagant.

Just to stir the pot.... How about a 223?
Depending on locale, .223 is considered too small for deer hunting by the powers that be (Dept Nat Resou, Game Comission, aka whoever makes the rules). Its not universal, but its out there