• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a scope for my squirrel gun

I've got a nikon p tac mk1 3-9 mrad I pulled off a .22lr rifle I no longer have if you are interested.

You may want to check out Camera land. You’re likely to find some thing that checks all your boxes and get a deal to boot. 😉

Reactions: JKW70
There's an old thread here somewhere about adjusting parallax on fixed parallax scopes. That may open up some more options.

Most scopes fpr 22lr have fixed 60yd parallax.
Leopold makes a 3-9 EFR with adjustable parallax.
I have been using one on a Brwoning T-Bolt Target/Varmint and one on an Anshuetz 22 Hornet Mannlicher for decades.
When shooting a squirrel at 20 yds, it’s nice to have a sharp sight picture.
Look for one used on eBay.

Squirrels are best hunted with open sights as the bore and the sight line are much closer together.
But, do as you will. :)

A dark squirrel against an oak tree can be difficult to aim at with irons in dark timber.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandwarrior
EEFE1BA0-BD07-4D99-8153-E541651CFB27.jpeg

assuming youre in the ~300-500 price range and want to keep weight down, if you want adjustable parallax theres only a few in that price range.

-leupod makes two. a VX Freedom 4-12x cds with side focus parallax, and a VX Freedom 3-9x with AO as well. these are both moa.
-if you need mrads, the only one afaik, is the Athlon Talos 3-12x40 mrad. all of these weigh around the 12 to 16oz range SFP, some have hash mark/mildot reticles in addition to the regular duplex.
-your options open up a lot of you go to the 4-16x range ofc as theres way more options at this mag range, but they have more weight (usually these are around 18-30+ oz rather than 12-16oz).

if you *dont* want parallax focus theres much more options. although in terms of fixed parallax in a rimfire range, the leupold 3-9x rimfire fixed at 60yds comes to mind. the others are all 100-150yd fixed parallax.

Last edited:

Dammit man, those 52 sporters are too pretty to hunt with. Beautiful rifles. Envious. As for the OP's quest, I like to use a 3-12x or a 4-16x on most of my squack rifles although I am not opposed to irons either. One of the best budget scopes out there today is the Hawke 4-15x-50 SFP illuminated. Another nice glass is the Mueller in 3-9x or 4-16x. They are cheap but have very clear glass and decent turrets for the money. There are better scopes and cheaper scopes out there but both of these are good ones that I would buy again.

I have the Hawke on a CZ452 American and it is one of my best hunting rigs. I have a Zeiss 4-16x on another rifle that is not nearly as clear.

Take a look at the Weaver 3-9 rimfire. It also has adjustable parallax, focuses down to to something like 10 yds (don't quote me though, going off memory), and has decent glass. I have one on a CZ FS in .22 mag and like it.

Nice to see Weaver back in the optic business!
Need to bring back the target 36X scopes/
Who makes the scopes for Weaver?

Burris 2-7x35 rimfire scope with ballistic plex reticle. Very nice piece of glass and perfect for hunting.

The Unertl is obvious so the other one is a Leupold Alaskan. Long discontinued but good scope. They came in 4x and 6x. This is a 6x.

I have a Burris Timberline 4.5x 14 x 32, w/AO, on one of my CZ 455 LUX Works good.