• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing need a smith to install pillars

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
i have a fn pbr that i am placing in a mcm stock and i know with my luck it is going to get messed up plus i live in a apt and using power tools is frowned upon so can i get some sudgestions for a smith to do the job i am not looking for skim bedding just installing the pillars in the stock

Re: need a smith to install pillars

If you are going to install pillars you'll need to bed the rifle also. Get GAP or equiv to "pillar bed" the rifle. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to install pillars you'll need to bed the rifle also. Get GAP or equiv to "pillar bed" the rifle. JMHO </div></div>

Not necessarily. I assume that the OP is talking about the pillars that some people add on Win rifles that are adjacent to the action screw hole. I've seen them installed sans action bedding.

dont have a mill and like i said with my luck if i drill it out the bottom end will blow out my dog will die the wife will leave me and i will get audited by the irs

just send it back to McMillan

Don't be cheap! send it off and have it done right ,pillars,full bedding,etc. If you only install pillars "half assed" you will then be starting threads as too why your rifle don't shoot for shit!,and then we will have to kill ya
laugh.gif

i plan on doing the bedding myself i am just looking for a smith to do the pillars

chad the thing i am most worried about is opening up the action holes in the stock and having a accident i will give you a call tomorrow if you arent out having too much fun at the rally

Here's what I'd do: (what I do)

Say your pillar is .500" OD. I use a reamer that measures .5156" reamer (33/64)

The reamer will want to follow the existing hole and it won't grab and take off on you the way a drill will. Chucking reamers are cheap. less than $20 each if you buy the import brands. Its not worth buying high dollar carbide for a silly rifle stock.

Mount your pillars onto your receiver as you bed the thing. Bores in pillars should be oversize. I punch them out to .3125" (5/16) ID. Use a few winds of masking tape wrapped around your actions screws and coat with wax/shoe polish/whatever.

Put a coat of resin on your receiver and goop it around your holes a bit. Goop the stuff on the pillar than contacts the action. Assemble and snug it up a bit. Don't bother torquing it like it was assembled. Waste of time.

Now drop the thing in your stock (also coated in a layer of resin and go watch TV. If you wrapped your barrel in two places with tape to set the show line height and center in the barrel channel you'll be in good shape once it comes time to pop it out.

Easy stuff.

For me I intentionally leave the pillars too long as its a good way to center the stock when working on the bottom. If you need to trim before hand its no biggy either.

Just be sure to swab the bottom really well while the stuff is wet so you can clean it up nice.

You want the bores oversize so the pillars can "wiggle and get happy" when going into the stock. I intentionally leave mine a touch loose till after the gun is sitting the way I want it. The extra clearance also ensures a layer of resin exists between the stock and pillar. You don't want it getting driven out of the hole during assembly.

Easy stuff.

PS. Pack your guard screw heads with clay and you won't have to cuss a storm when cleaning them out.

Good luck.

C.