• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need accurate, light(er) weight AR .308 barrel for hunting

Scottyman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2008
Maine
Had a Faxon Gunner that couldn't do under 3-4 MOA. Current Wilson Combat 20" Super Sniper won't do under 2 MOA with 5 different factory loads and it's heavy 50.7 oz
JP Rifles? I heard Wilson Combat makes the blanks?
Rainier Ultra Match?
Proof Research? Do carbon barrels have erratic accuracy issues?

Do you reload? I have the Wilson 20" and I get under 1" with my loaded 168's or 175's.

If you are using factory ammo for hunting, 2" isnt good enough? I dont hunt myself but I ask as I see these threads frequently on the hide and the answer always seems to be that you dont need to be under MOA with a hunting round / gun.

No, I don't reload. The barrel is too heavy to be 2 MOA. Just not worth it when I could get a cheapo pencil barrel for the same accuracy and be much more enjoyable lugging it around.

Lead sled. TT 315M. Warne one piece mount, TriggerTech, JP bolt, Ascend Armory set.

Criterion M118LR barrels ... pick your length and go ... my 22" version runs ball ammo anywhere from 1.5-2MOA 5 shot group ... best with XM80C ...

16” mid length gas. Ballistic advantage. I haven’t started hand loading for it yet. The top 2 are loads built for a different gun.
It’s not a laser gun, but it’s decent for a walking around rifle. Was $118(?) on sale.
IMG_5641.jpeg

Reactions: Thorbeast
I have a 20" Rainier Arms Ultra Match .308 barrel on my AR.308. It shoots better than moa with quality over the counter ammo, like AMAX 168grns and Gold Medal match 168grns. Works for me anyways.

Had a Faxon Gunner that couldn't do under 3-4 MOA. Current Wilson Combat 20" Super Sniper won't do under 2 MOA with 5 different factory loads and it's heavy 50.7 oz
Rainier Ultra Match?
There is a very informative thread here that might help:

If weight is a concern, I'd be looking at a 16" barrel and appropriate contour. The Ultra Match has an awesome satisfaction guarantee, but are heavy. Their 16" barrels use rifle length gas, which is ideal if you're running suppressed. If you go 16", you would have to take into consideration your existing handguard length.

Rainier Ultra Match?
I just put a 6.5 creedmoor together with a criterion barrel, its shooting .4s

Criterion M118LR barrels ... pick your length and go ... my 22" version runs ball ammo anywhere from 1.5-2MOA 5 shot group ... best with XM80C ...
+1 on the CBI barrel m118! I have 2) 22" that short soft (recoil wise) 11t that I love!