• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need ACOG Advice For New Marine Recruit

Senderofan

Rock Chuck Nightmare
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2003
SD
Hey fellow SH'ers.......My daughter is going to take her oath this Thursday.......to join the Marine Corps. She won't do basic until August / September of 2018. She will be going to Parris Island.....according to the recruiter. Anyway, she has her heart set on Military Police.......Canine Handler. I'm trying to assist her in this dream by gathering the appropriate equipment for her to practice. Her recruiter informed us that she will be qualifying with a TA31F ACOG and a Beretta M9A1 pistol. I'm looking to purchase a TA31-D-100549 and a Beretta M9A3 for her to practice with. I was told she needs to qualify "Expert" in both categories.

Any information / advice for this young recruit.......would be greatly appreciated!!! Full disclosure.......I was denied four times due to exercise induced asthma....her mom is a first Persian Gulf War veteran. We are both extremely proud of our daughter.....and want to support her in her journey!

Thanks in advance,

Wayne ( Senderofan )

She needs to qualify with iron sights first, learn the basics, then learn the ACOG. ACOG is pretty fool proof.

Learn the fundamentals first, get her trigger control on par and breathing down, and everything else will fall in place.

They don't shoot with optics in boot camp.
She will learn to shoot there, with irons, to 500 meters.
To the best of my knowledge, she won't shoot pistol in boot camp (I wasn't a Marine).
However, a quality .22 semi auto pistol, work on the fundamentals of marksmanship and develop GOOD habits (perfect practice makes perfect).

I graduated from the Island in 2012. They were just starting to phase the RCO into recruit training at that time. With that being said i had to qual with irons but by now they should all be qualing with RCO’s.... the RCO is the same thing as the ACOG we just call them RCO’s in the Corps. She also will not qual with the M9 at basic. That will happen at her mos school or when she hits the fleet and makes it through her mos school. All female recruits go to the Island. Thats the only place femal Marines are made. My advice would be to let her train and learn about the RCO when she gets to basic, some of the best shooters in the Corps are on the range teaching the recruits about everything from how to carry the rifle to how to actually send the round down range and hit the target. If you teach her anything i would suggest teaching her basic form and how to slowly squeeze the trigger the same everytime. The rifle she will be shooting with have a standard GI issue crappy trigger in it that will be gritty and about 6-7lb pull..

I gotta agree with some said here. Familiarization will help, for certain BUT....they will want her to do it THEIR way, and it will be different from yours or her way. It's not rocket science to qual expert and if you're listening to a recruiter.....well, you know that story. MP's will get extensive training with a side arm, no need to rush that. Get her out with an AR and find her zero with Iron sights. Shoot a LOT of ammo and don't get to involved with teaching. Let her get used to the rifle, grouping it and then shooting for score.

I was a prior military dog handler. Hence, my name EDDK9 (explosive detector dog K9). Unless things have changed, you do not come from basic as a dog handler. Her MOS will be an MP and then she will need to work her ass to get into K9. That’s where shooting “expert” and her PT scores come into play. She will need to volunteer herself to be a pooper scooper if she wants to become a dog handler. Get in good with the kennel master wherever she gets stationed.

Last edited:
To the OP..please dont buy those items in thinking it will help her. It will take additional time to untrain her of bad habits then retrain her in the Marine Corps way. The best thing is if you have a local shooting team( i dont know if CMP exist anymore) either service or small bore to learn basic fundamentals and marksmanship and perhaps a pistol markmanship course would be beneficial in my opinion.
Congradulations sir and best of luck to your daughter.

Good luck to your daughter.

Here is an article that may help you with which ACOG to buy. I wish I had read it before I bought the one I did.

I was an SDM instructor in the Army before it moved to Benning and I have a bit of advice:

I wouldn't spend the money on the ACOG unless you just want one, focus on irons, the ACOG is easy and they'll teach that. A 20" AR15, probably the FN rifle would be the closest to what she'd be issued. I actually was issued an FN in basic, NIB Colt M4's at unit. If she shoots the M4, the trajectories will be different than the 20". So not sure I'd buy this either. Her own pistol may be handy though, now and later.

What would behoove your daughter now is PT. The Marines will give her better rifle training than the Army, so I wouldn't worry about it. They'll take care of her. You could take her to a shooting instructor at a range, but that'll likely be derailed by Marine doctrine once she gets there.

If it was the Army and she wanted to be a good shot, I'd say yeah, get her own and practice now and later when possible because they have the blind leading the blind on the POG ranges, and a lot of infantry ranges aren't much better either. They'll still get her to where she needs to be for the job, but Army doesn't care much for marksmanship (in general) just volume of fire in general directions. If she's interested in serious marksmanship in the Army, she'll have to do it on her own time. Can't say how Marine MP's are to be honest.

Military also uses special targets and at certain ranges for their qualification and initial zeroing. The Marines may use KD ranges for this too, I don't know.

I think she'd be better off focusing on PT and getting mentally ready because like I said, they'll take care of her. If she has to shoot expert for her position, then they'll make sure she shoots expert.

Without the proper training she'll likely just learn bad habits on her own. Without someone teaching her with a military background and teaching it the way they teach it, it won't be of much help. Just trying to save you money. But I do think the pistol could be a good idea, especially with an experienced pistol instructor. She'll should be able to incorporate that into what she learns there too. IME, soldiers have less proficiency with pistols than almost anything else. They get carried and cleaned a LOT, but seldom used. MP's may be different though, they're more pistol oriented.

Again, and were it me, I'd do PT (lots and lots of running, because that's the number one thing that'll make her life easier when she gets there, period). Train to be a marathon runner, seriously, but don't cause any injury! Since she has time, she may want to talk to the recruiter about taking classes at the community college in the meantime. If she's working on her degree, she can continue that in service and apply to take some time off and finish school while in the military, graduate, then apply for OCS and end up an officer, all in a few years. Which she may not be interested in now, but will be if she stays in. Plus it gets school out of the way and it's paid for. The college credits may also earn her rank going in, as does completing certain tasks like a PT test, drill instruction, etc.; this does/did in the Army, don't know about Marines.

And tell her good luck! It'll be an adventure, that's for sure. It was one of the best times in my life coupled with some of the worst. I miss it.

The amount of old information in this thread is disturbing, that that I think anyone is being malicious about it. I’m active duty Marine and was a weapons instructor for 3 years. If you want to talk on the side or text, let me know.

First off, don’t buy the M9a3, it’s so different it will hurt her fundamentals of shooting. An M9 or M9A1 will help but only if you can teach proper technique, if you aren’t teaching it the right way it’s better not to teach at all. Her Marine Corps instructors are good at their jobs and I always had higher scores coming from Marines that never shot a gun vs the “I use to shoot competitions” guys. Getting use to the ACOG is helpful, getting use to shooting and feeling recoil is also helpful. But the specific ways she will have to shoot her first few times will almost certainly not be how you teach her, again no bad habits are easier to teach than a lot of experience with bad habits. Lastly, for the love of all expert rifle scores, don’t put anything other than a standard mil spec trigger in the rifle! Practice on a nice aftermarket trigger is my biggest regret that hurts my scores the most. Tons of practice with a 3lb Timney Trigger vs a 5 stage, 9lb Mil Spec Trigger Will rape your soul lol.

Forget the technical stuff just PT.

If your daughter is waking up dreading the first two hours of her day because its PT than she starts each day behind the 8 ball.

If she PTs now so that when she gets to basic and is looking forward to those first two hours, knowing she can kick ass on any run they plan and realizing that those hours belong to her and benefit her personally, the rest of the long day will be much easier.

Too many young people give their PT ability way too much credit.

PT is the base line test that sets the tone for how DIs judge their little tabula rasa's. Examples........

"He is dumb as a rock but he can run"

"Sure fucker has a brain but what good will it do when he cant keep with the platoon"

The only other thing that may benefit and save her some time on the quarterdeck.....

Learn the general orders, study some USMC history, start referencing shit in the house by its proper nomenclature - deck, bulkhead, head, overhead, etc.

and I don't know if they still have scuzz brushes but for shits and giggles anyway have her sweep the entire house nightly in a crouch with a hand brush.

oh and if you want to help her with rifle.......have her sit indian style all the time. When standing, have her hold ten pound weights at arms length from her body until blood streams from her forehead in exertion. The sitting will stretch her out and allow her to comfortably hold a sitting rifle position. The weights will make a 7 pound rifle seem light shooting off hand.

Based on what little I know about USMC BRM, unless you are a shooter skilled in traditional position shooting (aka NRA highpower) don't bother because you'll be teaching her useless shit.

And again, while I was not a Marine, I did serve and had a fairly physical initial training period (USNA Plebe Summer) so +1,000,000 for PT'ng her ass off. Nothing will pay off more than being fit.

Reactions: TACC
Thanks to all who have offered advice. We greatly appreciate it!!! The Marine Sergeant recruiter said my daughter would do her rifle qualification using an ACOG. I wanted to ask the question here....because of the expert knowledge base.....as I have no experience with them...I'm a scope, red dot or iron sight kind of guy. I just want to assist her.....if y'all think it's something she'd benefit from? We will go over how to field strip and clean at a minimum. We've already been working with several 9mm pistols and will just practice basic grip and aiming. So she won't be freaked out by noise and recoil of the side arm.

The recruiter happens to also be an MP that is a canine handler. He did tell us the path starts as an MP recruit and she'd be best served volunteering time in the kennels and volunteering to wear the attack suit. She has enjoyed volunteering at the local humane society shelter....working with the dogs.

I will pass on the info. regarding PT. We've been working on cardio and strength training. She is a cross country runner.....so she knows how to get into her zone. We will continue to encourage her to train daily.

Also appreciate the pointers on shooting position. We will have her practice. I'll also have her work with the weights held straight out.....I think that will be one of the big challenges for her.

Thanks again y'all........I'm so proud my little girl wants to serve!!! I was declined several times due to exercise induced asthma......but my wife served in the Persian Gulf War. I think it's a great option for young people to figure out their path in life.

Thanks to all who have offered advice. We greatly appreciate it!!! The Marine Sergeant recruiter said my daughter would do her rifle qualification using an ACOG. I wanted to ask the question here....because of the expert knowledge base.....as I have no experience with them...I'm a scope, red dot or iron sight kind of guy. I just want to assist her.....if y'all think it's something she'd benefit from? We will go over how to field strip and clean at a minimum. We've already been working with several 9mm pistols and will just practice basic grip and aiming. So she won't be freaked out by noise and recoil of the side arm.

The recruiter happens to also be an MP that is a canine handler. He did tell us the path starts as an MP recruit and she'd be best served volunteering time in the kennels and volunteering to wear the attack suit. She has enjoyed volunteering at the local humane society shelter....working with the dogs.

I will pass on the info. regarding PT. We've been working on cardio and strength training. She is a cross country runner.....so she knows how to get into her zone. We will continue to encourage her to train daily.

Also appreciate the pointers on shooting position. We will have her practice. I'll also have her work with the weights held straight out.....I think that will be one of the big challenges for her.

Thanks again y'all........I'm so proud my little girl wants to serve!!! I was declined several times due to exercise induced asthma......but my wife served in the Persian Gulf War. I think it's a great option for young people to figure out their path in life.

I have also heard the same with qualifying on ACOG and not iron sights in the “new” Corps. IMO, that is absurd and I was trying to dismiss that as false information. Sure hope they change this ridiculous behavior and get back on track to being the best trained military unit in the world.

As solid and fool proof the ACOG is, you still cant dismiss the underlying fact that optics can fail.

BTW, who is the recruiter and where from? Can I make a wild guess and say; Champaign, IL? Thats the only former marine K9 handler I know and he’s a Master Guns. Great guy.

The weights at 90 degrees was a suggestion thing kind of in jest but it is also good training.

When doing drill if we screwed up a movement the Di would have you hold your rifle straight out in front of you and threaten with more punishment if it sagged from 90 degrees in front of you.

Talk about making time slow down.

DIs don't waste any time that can be filled with training. So while they harangue you about your failure to do a proper "Dress right Dress" you will work on your upper body strength.

Don't make your daughter go stand in the yard with weights at 90 degrees, just include some upper body resistance exercise to her workout.

If she is a cross country runner that is good. Lean with good cardio is better than bulked up Amazon. Excessive weight even if its muscle is just more to pack when you are packing a pack.

Good luck to her.

Yes, Marine Corps boot camp they now shoot the ACOGs on M16’s. Don’t stress too much about the optic, it handles itself very well. Weapon familiarization goes much farther. And physical fitness even more so. Most of the good stuff in boot camp come from discovering ones self, especially as a leader. The stuff you really need to be good at can’t be taught as easy as going on a run or shooting a rifle. it’s your limits, character, ideas, and leadership that really make you stand out.

I graduated from the Island in 2012. They were just starting to phase the RCO into recruit training at that time. With that being said i had to qual with irons but by now they should all be qualing with RCO’s.... the RCO is the same thing as the ACOG we just call them RCO’s in the Corps. She also will not qual with the M9 at basic. That will happen at her mos school or when she hits the fleet and makes it through her mos school. All female recruits go to the Island. Thats the only place femal Marines are made. My advice would be to let her train and learn about the RCO when she gets to basic, some of the best shooters in the Corps are on the range teaching the recruits about everything from how to carry the rifle to how to actually send the round down range and hit the target. If you teach her anything i would suggest teaching her basic form and how to slowly squeeze the trigger the same everytime. The rifle she will be shooting with have a standard GI issue crappy trigger in it that will be gritty and about 6-7lb pull..

I agree with most of the above , however,
the RCO its a specific ACOG model
featuring a red chevron reticle with both elevation and windage holdover

"BTW, who is the recruiter and where from? Can I make a wild guess and say; Champaign, IL? Thats the only former marine K9 handler I know and he’s a Master Guns. Great guy."

My daughter is working with Staff Sergeant Joshua Johantgen. I didn't ask where he is from.....but I have to agree.....he is a great guy. He really seems to go the extra mile to assist Poole / new recruits prepare for basic.....he offers training with them at least once a week. But.....I wouldn't expect any less from one of our service members...Y'all are great people!!

I greatly appreciate all the advice and tips. It will all be used to help prepare my daughter......as best we can......to be a successful recruit! If nothing else.....we'll make sure she's in decent shape and able to handle an AR 15 in a safe and effective manner.

Thanks a bunch for the information! Especially for the explanation of why she'll be going to Paris Island. My wife had hoped she would be going to California.......so we could visit and enjoy the weather come fall / winter of 2018.

You might want to watch this

Pay careful attention to what sling they use, how it is rigged on the rifle, and how it is used to support the rifle. Pay attention to the exact construction of the kneeling and sitting positions.

I'll say again; if you don't have experience in shooting with a sling and in assuming the crossed leg sitting position, the std NRA kneeling position, and the sling supported prone position don't try to teach your kid because she'll be doing it wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC
You might want to watch this

I might be wrong but looks to me like the recruit has his sling under his support hand when it should be on the back of his support hand.

Maybe even these videos should be suspect.

Unless that is an example of how not to do it. I cant open the video on the computer Im using.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the above , however,
the RCO its a specific ACOG model
featuring a red chevron reticle with both elevation and windage holdover

True that... didnt take the time to get into all the specifics, just sharing some terminology his daughter will have to know....

speaking of boot camp stories... you would be surprised how bad a nut rag (wash cloth) can make your shoulders/arms burn when you hold it straight out for extended periods of time.

Thanks for the video's. I was thinking of just having her sit / kneel and go prone...........and hold the rifle.....not working with the sling. More about being consistent with how she addresses the rifle i.e. start to develop muscle memory with her cheek weld and getting a sight picture. I understand the sling is extremely important to stabilize the rifle. I've used the sling and positions when shooting my Garand......but that wouldn't be useful to my daughter....So I hadn't planned on anything with slings. I don't want to clutter her mind with bad habits and wrong techniques.......but simply want her to be comfortable with the platform.......rather than 100% green and afraid.

I appreciate each and every one of y'all that have taken the time to offer advice / experiences. It is an honor for us to learn from y'all!!! My daughter passed her MEPS physical about an hour ago.....and should be signing contracts as I write this. My wife and I are very thankful that our daughter has a direction she wants to go with her life......and she is 100% committed to achieving her goals.

[No message]

Attachments

• photo78254.jpg
    photo78254.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 67
She'd would've had a lot easier time going AF security forces then into k9 as an E-4! But best of luck with the toughest branch in my opinion!

She'd would've had a lot easier time going AF security forces then into k9 as an E-4! But best of luck with the toughest branch in my opinion!

Thanks, appreciate the insight.......We had mentioned the AF since my wife is an AF vet. But my daughter says she likes the rigorous physical training the Marines go through. Right or wrong......I can't argue against it..............just support her along her journey.

Thanks, appreciate the insight.......We had mentioned the AF since my wife is an AF vet. But my daughter says she likes the rigorous physical training the Marines go through. Right or wrong......I can't argue against it..............just support her along her journey.

Yeah I was all Gung Ho and went in guaranteed Infantry and almost didn't leave on leaving day because I saw my recruiter had put me in a "Combat Arms" contract - Tanks, Arty, Infantry, Tracs - rather than the straight up 03 Contract - 0311, 0331, 0351/2, 0341.

I told them I wouldn't go unless I got what I was promised and the Marine at MEPS put me in the latter while there..........Yeah I learned pretty quick that riding a truck with a big ass gun behind it probably wouldn't have been a bad gig.

When she succeeds and becomes the sharpest MP in her unit tell her to look into the Marine Security Guard Program and she will enjoy the best duty in the Corps.

Last edited:
Yeah I was all Gung Ho and went in guaranteed Infantry and almost didn't leave on leaving day because I saw my recruiter had put me in a "Combat Arms" contract - Tanks, Arty, Infantry, Tracs - rather than the straight up 03 Contract - 0311, 0331, 0351/2, 0341.

I told them I wouldn't go unless I got what I was promised and the Marine at MEPS put me in the latter while there..........Yeah I learned pretty quick that riding a truck with a big ass gun behind it probably wouldn't have been a bad gig.

When she succeeds and becomes the sharpest MP in her unit tell her to look into the Marine Security Guard Program and she will enjoy the best duty in the Corps.

Man......You hit the nail on the head!! After MEPS, she was informed that she would not qualify for the MP program due to her eye sight. So the recruiter is pushing artillery and / or driving heavy equipment were mentioned to her. I'm hoping, as an alternative, that she tries to go for helicopter mechanic or something along those lines........she enjoys working with me on our summer "Fun" cars.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Funny that they seem to really push a similar MOS on my daughter...that they tried to push on you.

Take Care,

Wayne

Man......You hit the nail on the head!! After MEPS, she was informed that she would not qualify for the MP program due to her eye sight. So the recruiter is pushing artillery and / or driving heavy equipment were mentioned to her. I'm hoping, as an alternative, that she tries to go for helicopter mechanic or something along those lines........she enjoys working with me on our summer "Fun" cars.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Funny that they seem to really push a similar MOS on my daughter...that they tried to push on you.

Take Care,

Wayne

That Combat Arms MOS catch all probably gets them bonus points on their recruiting as it gives them a body they can plug into anyone of the Combat Arms MOS's that at any time are in need of Marines.

Is her eyesight correctable to 20/20? I thought even some of the more high speed MOS's are open to Marines with vision issues as long as its correctable to 20/20 or better?

Don't be afraid to push. I know its not the way people looking to "serve" want to be but she should get what she wants if its available.

There is not a lot of post enlistment marketability in the Combat Arms MOS field unless you are creative in explaining what you did or aggressive in making the most of your schooling. I have yet to find an employer that could use my skills as a Dragon Anti Tank Gunner but sure the problem solving and leadership that went along with it are important in any field.

If your daughter does something in aviation there are lots of skills that can translate to the civilian world perhaps. Thing is though does that interest her?

Seriously though when she is in the fleet have her look into the MSG program. In some ways it is similar to MP. As far as seeing the world goes that is the way to do it. Ive posted up some pictures here of my life in MSG....

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-room/the-bear-pit/6723014-usmc-birthday-2017

New to group but a marine, old school we used Iron sights but I do use a scope now to shoot cmp matches. I can only agree with lots here have her start her day with a run. Also buy her a good pair of boots and have her hike on weekends. Also as a former MP have her prepared for the other side. In the Marines there are several different jobs in the 5800 field. When I graduated MP school I was sent to a field unit so I drove a hummer instead of a crusier. But I digress As far as shooting goes the one thing you can do at home and pound in her head is natural point of aim in every position standing off hand, Kneeling, Sitting, and Prone. Just let her sit behind any rifle line up on target close her eyes take a breath or two with eyes closed open eyes if rifle is still on target she is good. If not work on it. Also work on controlling your breathing.

if you aren’t teaching it the right way it’s better not to teach at all. Her Marine Corps instructors are good at their jobs and I always had higher scores coming from Marines that never shot a gun vs the “I use to shoot competitions” guys.

As a former PMI...This^^^ Bad habits are the bane of trying to get someone to shoot correctly; it's much harder to" unlearn" than learn what is being taught.

That Combat Arms MOS catch all probably gets them bonus points on their recruiting as it gives them a body they can plug into anyone of the Combat Arms MOS's that at any time are in need of Marines.

Is her eyesight correctable to 20/20? I thought even some of the more high speed MOS's are open to Marines with vision issues as long as its correctable to 20/20 or better?

Don't be afraid to push. I know its not the way people looking to "serve" want to be but she should get what she wants if its available.

There is not a lot of post enlistment marketability in the Combat Arms MOS field unless you are creative in explaining what you did or aggressive in making the most of your schooling. I have yet to find an employer that could use my skills as a Dragon Anti Tank Gunner but sure the problem solving and leadership that went along with it are important in any field.

If your daughter does something in aviation there are lots of skills that can translate to the civilian world perhaps. Thing is though does that interest her?

Seriously though when she is in the fleet have her look into the MSG program. In some ways it is similar to MP. As far as seeing the world goes that is the way to do it. Ive posted up some pictures here of my life in MSG....

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forum/...-birthday-2017

Thank you for the advice. We will encourage her to be more vocal about her MOS when she gets closer to heading out for basic. Unfortunately, as newbies to this process, we figured the poole / recruit had very little say......so it's nice to hear that she can have some input.

I'm not sure what her corrected vision is. Guess we just have to have her look in to the MSG or think of a plan B MOS.

Thanks for all your advice and insight.....along with everyone else who has taken the time to share advice. We greatly appreciate y'all taking the time to help us out!

Wayne

I only did this one time and can only relate my experience. Others here were on recruiting duty and I defer to their greater knowledge regards want can and cant be done regarding contracts.

MSG wont be an immediate option, its a billet she will have to volunteer for after she has some time in. If she decides to make a career of it though MSG is one of those duty assignments she should punch in order to go further in her career. Recruiting and DI would be the other duties she would need if she builds a career.

I only did this one time and can only relate my experience. Others here were on recruiting duty and I defer to their greater knowledge regards want can and cant be done regarding contracts.

MSG wont be an immediate option, its a billet she will have to volunteer for after she has some time in. If she decides to make a career of it though MSG is one of those duty assignments she should punch in order to go further in her career. Recruiting and DI would be the other duties she would need if she builds a career.

Thanks. I think this is going to be a really good fit for her. She, without influence from her parents, thrives on having her life organized and scheduled. This isn't to the point where she's rigid or antisocial. But I think she'll feel very comfortable in an environment where there's specific ways of doing things......and I can envision her making a career out of being in the Marines.

She's currently at a weekend long training session with Poole's / recruits. I'll share with her the MSG info. and make sure she understands that this would be a longer term goal that she has to seek out and work for. I think she will come home very anxious to leave for basic. She says she's ready to be done with high school and get on with her life.......senior-itis I guess.

Thanks again for sharing your experience. My daughter will have to work with her recruiter to see what MOS they, and The Corps, come up with for her.

Just as an aside, Marines have "boot camp", the Army, Navy and Air Force have "basic" training. ;-)

Just as an aside, Marines have "boot camp", the Army, Navy and Air Force have "basic" training. ;-)

Thanks.....you can tell I'm a "Civi"....as I don't use the correct terminology. My apologies if I've offended any of y'all by confusing Boot Camp with Basic Training.......It is an honest mistake on my side I can assure y'all.

That may be true, but when I attended basic training (Navy), we called it boot camp.
We also called all fresh arrivals from training 'boots".

I don't know what you call it in the air force, after all, they stay in "dormitories" and have special kids stuff.

When I went through "basic" training,, knowing how to shoot wasn't a handicap,
not listening to the guys who's job it was to train us on the M-16 was..

They broke us up in to groups and put a guy or two in each group of 8
that had shot so we all were not in the same group. I was always in to guns, but
I had used a coach before and was ready to listen, then I helped the other
7 guys understand what was said (Some if the info came fast.) I then used
any free time during our practice rounds to help the others.
All 8 of my group shot expert, our instructor was awesome, I like to think I helped out
just observing and watching for bad habits..

Having enough time behind a rifle and pistol to just get past any inhibitions
with holding and firing it would be well worth it.
Don't need anything fancy I wore the rifling out of a old Nylon 66 and a old savage
single shot 22 pistol, other than some light shooting with my hunting rifle.. Seldom shot
with a scope.. Wore out 2 daisy BB guns before I moved up to the 22.. :D

Honestly, there is no reason for her to learn any bad habits. You spend an entire week

I'd spend more time reviewing the contract and spend the money on a crossfit membership or some sort of grappling training. Or both. Getting her in shape will pay dividends far more than learning to shoot.

And I never heard of MPs having to qualify Expert. I know plenty that didn't.

I'd listen to the former PMI. Bad habits are hard to break. Though some basic trigger time on an AR can't hurt. What would be helpful is learning how to disassemble and reassemble the rifle down as far as removing the extractor, over and over and over, until she can do it with her eyes closed.

20+ years after leaving the Marine Corps Infantry, I can still do this. I bet any Marine can too! Semper Fi

Oh yeah, and PT...lots of PT!

Thanks y'all.....We greatly appreciate all the advice / information we can get. We will work on break down, cleaning and reassembly of an AR. I've tried to train her to not have a "Victim's" mentality......so she is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do......but I'm trying to get her into Krav Maga or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.........just have to see what's offered in our new location.

Thanks Again.........Can't thank those who have contributed enough......this is helping us tremendously!!!!!

Wayne

Just wanted to update all the SH brothers who shared their valuable knowledge and advice. My daughter attended college for one semester......to help convince her that the Corps was her calling. She did very well in school but wasn't "Feeling it." So off to boot camp. She did extremely well there ( she scored higher than the IFT requirements for male recruits....the first week....her recruiter helped her train for a couple months prior ( Priceless training).) She qualified "Expert" and her platoon set a new high score total for females at the Island......which was mentioned at the graduation ceremony.

So.....Our family extends the sincerest "Thank You" for all of your help. Your information / advice really helped with this journey.

Picture of my Marine with her mom at graduation.

We have a second child in the works to become a "Devil Dog!" Couldn't be Prouder parents.........one of the highest callings.....serving ones country!

Reactions: The DFC
Hey fellow SH'ers.......My daughter is going to take her oath this Thursday.......to join the Marine Corps. She won't do basic until August / September of 2018. She will be going to Parris Island.....according to the recruiter. Anyway, she has her heart set on Military Police.......Canine Handler. I'm trying to assist her in this dream by gathering the appropriate equipment for her to practice. Her recruiter informed us that she will be qualifying with a TA31F ACOG and a Beretta M9A1 pistol. I'm looking to purchase a TA31-D-100549 and a Beretta M9A3 for her to practice with. I was told she needs to qualify "Expert" in both categories.

Any information / advice for this young recruit.......would be greatly appreciated!!! Full disclosure.......I was denied four times due to exercise induced asthma....her mom is a first Persian Gulf War veteran. We are both extremely proud of our daughter.....and want to support her in her journey!

Thanks in advance,

Wayne ( Senderofan )

Advice. Tell her to stay out of the male barracks.

Thanks for the updates and their service! I just read this thread for the first time and enjoyed hearing the advice given and hearing about their progress.

Thanks for the updates and their service! I just read this thread for the first time and enjoyed hearing the advice given and hearing about their progress.

I cannot thank the members on this forum enough. I wanted to update this thread.........to say "Thank You" and show folks that my kids have joined their brothers and sisters serving in the US military. They both have done very well and are happy with their decision to serve.