• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need advice: Budget scope comparison

CDMMA

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2011
Colorado
After searching around this, and other, forums for a scope, I came up with a few options all in the same price range (which is limited at this point). Currently, I'm not looking to spend all that much on a scope, and in the future when I acquire more funds, I'll probably be looking into the Zeiss lens' (I'm a photographer, and Zeiss is what's up).

Unfortunately, most of my findings were from 2009-ish, so if there are some newer and better scopes for the same price that have been recently released, I'm open to suggestions.

Here is what I came up with:
Burris 3-9x40mm Fullfield II
Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40
Swift Premier Waterproof 3-9x40
Swift Premier 2-7x40mm
Swift 4-12x40mm Premier

My main uses would be for hunting (medium-larger game) and target practice, on a low EGW 20 (or 15, can't decide) MOA picatinny rail on a Remington 700 SPS. Not positive what rings I'll be using atm.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Need advice: Budget scope comparison

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hunting optics won't get you too far....and cheap optics even less so. </div></div>You could just roll up a few twenties and burn them, at least you'd be warm for a few seconds.
laugh.gif

Seriously, how much do you want to spend and what will you be doing with the scope? Saying that you want to 'hunt' and target shoot' is like saying I want a car to 'drive' and 'drive my friends'. It says nothing about the intended use of the car.

The best budget variable you will find is the Mueller 3-10 TAC 2 scope. It goes for about 260 bucks, is Japanese made and sports 95 MOA of adjustment.
Crystal clear glass and rock solid adjustments.

Your other option is the bushnell elite 10X mil/mil

The Mueller TAC II is a good budget scope, I've been using one across a few different .308's for several years. Add $80 to that and you can get a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50, 30mm side focus, it's a plain Fine Plex Reticle. Midway has a dealer special running on them.

Out of those ones that you have listed, the bushnell is the best choice of those options.

I had that exact burris you were looking at but I was frankly VERY unhappy with it the entire time. Clarity was just "ok" in my book, although light gathering was pretty nice. (To understand what I mean, basically the image was "bright" enough to see no matter the conditions but you may not necessarily see much of the detail in the image at distance. A bright but crappy image is still a crappy image.) The fullfield II also have cruddy reticle options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hunting optics won't get you too far....and cheap optics even less so.</div></div>

???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could just roll up a few twenties and burn them, at least you'd be warm for a few seconds.
laugh.gif

Seriously, how much do you want to spend and what will you be doing with the scope? Saying that you want to 'hunt' and target shoot' is like saying I want a car to 'drive' and 'drive my friends'. It says nothing about the intended use of the car. </div></div>

$200-ish.

Saying the scope will be used for hunting purposes is like saying I want a car to race.

I don't know what more you want to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best budget variable you will find is the Mueller 3-10 TAC 2 scope. It goes for about 260 bucks, is Japanese made and sports 95 MOA of adjustment.
Crystal clear glass and rock solid adjustments.

Your other option is the bushnell elite 10X mil/mil</div></div>

I'll check those two out, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madcratebuilder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Mueller TAC II is a good budget scope, I've been using one across a few different .308's for several years. Add $80 to that and you can get a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50, 30mm side focus, it's a plain Fine Plex Reticle. Midway has a dealer special running on them.</div></div>

I will check that one out too, been hearing more and more about the Vortex's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of those ones that you have listed, the bushnell is the best choice of those options.

I had that exact burris you were looking at but I was frankly VERY unhappy with it the entire time. Clarity was just "ok" in my book, although light gathering was pretty nice. (To understand what I mean, basically the image was "bright" enough to see no matter the conditions but you may not necessarily see much of the detail in the image at distance. A bright but crappy image is still a crappy image.) The fullfield II also have cruddy reticle options.</div></div>

Absolutely understand, thanks for the insight, I saw someone mention it was solid, guess not.

I have a couple of the Burris FFII's and my opinion is exactly the opposite. Mine is very clear, as well as has great light gathering. It's one of my favorite hunting scopes I've used, and I've used quite a few of them. I'd like to check out the new E1, but I haven't yet. It's the one I'd go with if it was me. The FFII had better glass than my VX-II I had, and to me that is pretty good for the price. It also seems durable and has held up great. Plus the one time I did have to deal with Burris CS they were great.

On the other hand I've had Bushnell Elite 3200's, and imo they still very much showed they were a Bushnell. The regular edition one I had was a 5-15x40 and the glass was pretty good. Much better than I expected, but the tracking was horrible. I was shooting 1" left when sighting it in at 100 yards, so I moved it 4 clicks right, and to my surprise it started hitting 3" right. I finally got it dialed in, but the click adjustments were way off and the thing just tracked horribly, like most Bushnells I've had. To me this was enough to ditch the scope. I've also heard of others complaining of this same issue. If you were going to set the scope and never touch it, it might have been okay.

The other I had was a 10x tactical. This one was decent. The glass in this one didn't seem as good as the 5-15, but it was decent, and this one actually seemed to track very well. I liked it and for it's price range it doesn't have much competition, but it's not really a hunting scope, and it wasn't anything special by any means.

Takes this next part with a grain of salt as I've never personally used Bushnells customer service, but I have friends that have.
Plus Bushnell has a horrible rep for CS. I hear more stories from people saying that Bushnell either told them the tube was damaged, or that it was damage caused by them, so it wasn't covered under warranty. Then they offer to sell you a replacement at a "discount" that really isn't a discount when you see what other retailers are selling them for. This has happened more times than I can count, and seems to be a reoccurring even. Occasionally someone posting it online will get the issue taken care of for them, but you shouldn't have to post online and hope you get their attention for them to take care of you.

Another good scope I like if you can find one used in your price range is the Nikon Monarch. I've got a couple of them, but honestly, the Burris FFII has better glass imo. However, the Nikon has better turrets, so it's a wash imo. Both seem durable.

I have no experience with the Swifts, or the Vortex, but it gets a ton of good press, and I have friends that have used and like Swifts.

I've had quite a bit of experience with several other scopes in this price range and if you'd like I can type up a reply on them, but since you didn't ask I figure you might not want to read a long post about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowr1der</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple of the Burris FFII's and my opinion is exactly the opposite. Mine is very clear, as well as has great light gathering. It's one of my favorite hunting scopes I've used, and I've used quite a few of them. I'd like to check out the new E1, but I haven't yet. It's the one I'd go with if it was me. The FFII had better glass than my VX-II I had, and to me that is pretty good for the price. It also seems durable and has held up great. Plus the one time I did have to deal with Burris CS they were great.</div></div>

Thanks man, for the long post (that I decided not to fully quote :p)

It's weird, because initially I heard great things, similar to what you said, then earlier today I got some bad feedback, seems to be a hit or miss.

Really looking at the Vortex Viper 2-7 right now, as many people have such high praise for them.

cameralandny.com has a sell going on the vortex viper 6.5-20x44 for like $250. Be very hard to find a better scope for that amount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cookjp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cameralandny.com has a sell going on the vortex viper 6.5-20x44 for like $250. Be very hard to find a better scope for that amount.</div></div>

Nice man, good call! Are they having a sale on any other scopes?

I should also include the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40, for whatever reason, I thought it was over the same price of the other scopes.

I will throw in a different budget minded option. Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 with BPlex reticle. I bought several for some rimfire rifles. I was really pleased with how bright they are for a small, light weight scope. Really decent eye relief, box tested nicely. And I like the 4-14 range for hunting purposes.

The only thing i do not like about them is that the reticle does not match the turret adjustments but I has just gotten spoiled in that respect using mil/mil adjustments.

If you do not mind this type of reticle then it would be a good +/-$200 option for hunting.

YMMV

that is a great price for those scopes but I'd pass on it due to the reticle

Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I'll be going with the Viper 2-7, or possibly fork up $90 more for the 6.5-20x44. Still have yet to decide.

Where at in CO are you? I have a few Burris scopes you are more them welcome to check out. I think they make great hunting scopes. I am up North, Greeley area PM me if your close and want to check some out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where at in CO are you? I have a few Burris scopes you are more them welcome to check out. I think they make great hunting scopes. I am up North, Greeley area PM me if your close and want to check some out.</div></div>

Highlands Ranch.

Thanks for the offer man, but I'll probably be heading to a local gun shop and see what they have that I can check out. I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the Viper 2-7 though.

A few months back, I had both the Burris FFII 3-9x40 and the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40.

I sold the Elite 3200 and kept the Burris.

Also had a FFII 4.5-14x42, which I (reluctantly) sold to help fund another project.

I personally find Burris to have excellent value, and if hunting is a primary use of your rifle, you will like the light gathering capability of the FFII, especially at its price point. I also have no beef with the Ballistic Plex reticle - it ain't a mildot and the holdover hashes are thin but I like the clean look compared to other BDC reticles.

I have an older (maybe 15 years?) Swift 4-12x40...tracks well and recently got a clean bill of health from Swift's CS department but I'll give the damn thing to you for the cost of shipping if you want it. It was on my Savage 110 .270 for years, worked well enough to kill a few deer & coyote, but then I moved <span style="font-style: italic">just a little</span> upmarket (FFII, Elite 3200, Nikon Buckmaster/Monarch) and realized just how poor its light-gathering capability is. Not a bad scope for shooting in the middle of the day, but there are much better choices if you're hunting in a stand of woods.

I think there are MUCH worse uses for the $150 you'd spend for a nice used FFII.

I dig the SWFA Super Sniper line and have a 3-9x42 which is a great scope. I bought it at the warehouse and they allowed me to compare it out of the box with a Leupold Mark 4 and it smoked it in clarity and quality. It may be a bit higher than what you are looking at but buy right, buy once.

I have seen different brands of scopes in the budget class as many people call it and the Burris Fullfield II will out class them and even alot higher priced top brands.