• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns need advice for a pistol

shooter65

General
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2004
    Indiana
    A friend of mine wants to buy her husband a .40 caliber semi auto for $600 or less. What would you recommend?

Thanks

Springfield XDm. Comes with all sorts of goodies like holster, molded double mag holder, and magazine loading doojigger.

Junk compared to what? They're not on par with a Blackhawk Serpa holster and Butler Creek LULA loader, but that's an extra $100 right there.

XD or XDm, Glock 22 or 23, M&P 40... you can't go wrong with those. The Ruger SR series gets mixed reviews, though most are very positive. That's a low cost option, with a low bore and a nice trigger.

My favorite is a Glock 23 (Gen 4).

The OP didn't talk about intended use. Knowing that always help refine the advice given.

XDm. i had a few in 9mm, but i recently switched to sig. a few buddies of mine have the ruger SRs, and they are ok. but for the $600 price range, the XDm is the way to go.

I don't have one, nor do I own a Glock so I have no dog in this fight (I'm an original Colt Series 70 or Smith Revolver guy) but I'll chime in anyway.

I shoot a lot of different action style pistol/revolver matches every other week in Spearfish South Dakota. They shoot a different style match every other weekend.

.The last few months I have been watching different pistols, to see what jams, what works, accuracy, etc. etc. I discounted modified guns and stuck to observing stock pistols.

I've seen them all, Smiths, Glocks, Tarus, Springfields, Sigs, and what ever.

From my observations the Smith M&Ps have the others beat hands down.

Like I said, I don't own any of those mentioned. I doubt I'll give up my Colt single stacks nor my Smith Revolvers.

I'm not asking you to take my word for this, my advise is to go to as many such matches your self and see what people are shooting, how they are shooting and if they function, then make the choice.

The two guns I recommend to all new shooters are Glock or M&P. Wasnt a fan of the XD that I owned and I am not a fan of the XDm that my buddy owns. Wasnt a Glock fan until the Gen 4 and it changed enough that I can actually shoot it without it feeling all wonky in my hand.

Glock, m&p, XD, all good. Can't really lose with any. Buy whatever is available.

A used USP is a Stretch but would be worth it.

Junk compared to what? They're not on par with a Blackhawk Serpa holster and Butler Creek LULA loader, but that's an extra $100 right there.

Thank goodness they aren't on par with a Serpa. Anyone who buys one of those holsters is an idiot. That said, junk compared to almost anything else. The mag holder holds the mags at awkward angles, and the loader is basically useless. I have multiple Springfields and the gear the ship 'em with all lives in a box.

M&P, it was designed as a .40 cal pistol. Why does it have to be .40?

.40 cal XDM. I have 1911s and have used other guns, but I carry an XDM. it holds 16 rounds and the ergonomics are great. Plus, if SHTF, the federals carry the caliber so ammo will be readily available ;)

I have been very happy with my M&Ps. They run between $500 and $550 where I am. Great guns, reliable, accurate enough for defensive or competition use. If your friend is going for concealment a compact or Sheild would work great. Ergonomics work for just about everybody.

Though personally not a fan of Glock, they are still a reliable gun and at the sub $600 point.

George

If the OP's friend isn't put off by gently used, you can occasionally find sleepers on GB. I like SIG P239s and HK P2000SKs for carry. For range and winter carry in .40 S&W I'm partial to all steel 3rd generation S&W pistols.

Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

Glock 23. Compact, .40cal, carry-able, very easy to shoot, extremely reliable ect...He can shoot it, she can shoot it, every can shoot it. When ever I take some one to the range i give them my 23 and they love it.
    I carry mine everyday and occasionally compete with it, i will never get rid of it.

. Plus, if SHTF, the federals carry the caliber so ammo will be readily available ;)

"Readily available"?

I don't know anyone with any training or experience who will be putting themselves in position to be relieved of their health or property. The Feds are unlikely to run into gunfights and die in the streets.

The consensus seems to be, "if SHTF, stay out of the way, and let the stupid people kill each other."

Plus, if SHTF, the federals carry the caliber so ammo will be readily available ;)

"Readily available"?

I don't know anyone with any training or experience who will be putting themselves in position to be relieved of their health or property. The Feds are unlikely to run into gunfights and die in the streets.

The consensus seems to be, "if SHTF, stay out of the way, and let the stupid people kill each other."

Hmm. Maybe it's good on zombies, too? :rolleyes:

Just for Jayson, some slightly out of date source material, starting on p. 188: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/lemas00.pdf Go crazy downloading it!

Rbid: that's the point. SHTF can stand for a lot of things. A revolution, marshal law, an attempt at disarmament. You lack the look into the depth of what I said. If .40 is carried, ammo will be plentiful...
    This is why I put priority on quality guns of common calibers...

Rbid: that's the point. SHTF can stand for a lot of things. A revolution, marshal law, an attempt at disarmament. You lack the look into the depth of what I said. If .40 is carried, ammo will be plentiful...

My bad for the context miss. Unfortunately, I don't think anything would be readily available, unless you already had it stocked up.

Then again, people aren't going to revolt as long as the Kardashians are around to keep them occupied. We're probably safe.

As an avid M&P fan, I'll say that they are great pistols. However, for someone looking to get into them right now magazine availability is a concern. They are damn near impossible to find, and have been for more than 6 months.

Unfortunately, because of that, I'd recommend the Glock 22,23 or 27.

"Marshal law" is Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke. What you mean is martial law. And ammunition would not be plentiful in any case. All readily available sources would be stripped bare almost immediately, corpse-robbing and station house-looting fantasies aside. If you think you're going to need it then, have it now.

From my observations the Smith M&Ps have the others beat hands down.

The M&P was my first thought too, in your price range. Sometimes you see Sig certified pre-owned P226s in that price range as well, but while they are better guns all around they are obviously a little harder to carry.

The M&P was my first thought too, in your price range. Sometimes you see Sig certified pre-owned P226s in that price range as well, but while they are better guns all around they are obviously a little harder to carry.

While 226s are, in my estimation, a bit boat-anchorish (pardon the pun), you can carry more than you might think with a good holster and a stout gunbelt. The 229 is a fair compromise on size and capacity, and CDNN is advertising excellent to like-new .40 S&W 229Rs at $589.99. If I were looking to use a $600 budget I might consider that, as well. I've handled, but not shot the M&Ps, and while I'm not averse at all to the idea of polymer pistols and in fact own a few, I prefer the weight and feel of conventionally constructed firearms.

Glock 23, Gen 3 or 4...got rid of my sig226 for one and could not be anywhere near happy enough i love this gun!

While 226s are, in my estimation, a bit boat-anchorish (pardon the pun), you can carry more than you might think with a good holster and a stout gunbelt. The 229 is a fair compromise on size and capacity, and CDNN is advertising excellent to like-new .40 S&W 229Rs at $589.99. If I were looking to use a $600 budget I might consider that, as well. I've handled, but not shot the M&Ps, and while I'm not averse at all to the idea of polymer pistols and in fact own a few, I prefer the weight and feel of conventionally constructed firearms.

Yep, I bought Sig P226 after trying the Glock, M&P, and HK, and checking out the other usual suspects. Couldn't be happier, but I might get a 229 if I were going to carry it every day.

She is leaning towards the M&P for her husband. Appreciate all the comments.

I bought two M&Ps, after hearing so much about them. However shooting them was a bit harsh after shooting a Sig P226 for years. The ergonomics on the M&P are great, but to field strip them you need to lower the sear disconnect. I did not like having to find a tool, such as a car key, to lower the sear disconnect each time I wanted to remove the slide.

The heavier Sig I can shoot all day long, and this leads to better practice and better accuracy. I quickly sold both M&Ps and bought a Sig X5 Allround...

Last edited: