• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need advice from the Canadians or northerners

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
Just got a call from my Brother in law. Apparently the lake in Ontario that we go to every May experienced the earliest ice out since 1942 this year. I don't consider this good news for two reasons; the lake trout are going to be deep and more difficult to catch and the bugs are going to be absolutely crazy. We got a light dusting of snow our first night last year which was perfect, we're not going to be so lucky this year.

We're headed up May 20th - 28th like we do every year. Normally things aren't too bad but two or three years ago the bugs were horrendous and it put a real damper on the trip. Looking for any tips or tricks for keeping them at bay if there are any to be had. I've got a head net and will have plenty of bug spray but thought it'd be wise to ask those who are more familiar with the black flies and mosquitoes up there. Is there any particular bug sprays that work better than others up there? The bugs aren't usually too bad out on the water but we're planning to clear out an old portage to a walleye lake this year so we'll be spending some time in the woods.

TIA

Re: Need advice from the Canadians or northerners

As politically uncorrect as it is, DEET is your friend. Don't bother with the spray, go with the oil that is at minimum 95%.

Avoid putting it on your skin. Put it on ALL of the outer clothing you are wearing, including your hats, socks, and footwear.

And the outer shell of your sleeping bag, or your bivvy-bag if you're using one.

Put some 'lighter-grade' bug dope on your exposed flesh. But the smell of the strong stuff will repel most black-flies and mosquito's. They'll be buzzing around you, and takes a bit to get used to, but they won't land.

Cut out Salt from your diet, right now. And as much fat/carb's as you can too. Sounds crazy, but it's like they can 'smell' it on ya.

These are things I've learned when living with flying vermin. Sometimes all you want is a flame-thrower.

Enjoy.

Avon Skin So Soft.

Trust me, bug spray doesn't work, stinks, melts dashboards and is bad for you.

Avon Skin So Soft will cover your nasty smell after camping for a few days, mosquitoes and flies will NOT bite through it.

It's what works. Period
smile.gif
Doubts - google it- you'll see.

What he said about salts- also applies to sweets- CUT the salts and sugars for a few days, 5-7 days ahead of time- it's a NIGHT and day difference.

When we were in the field on the Tanana river in Alaska - after about 5 or so days the bugs stopped biting so bad.

Good advice from the Nailer.

Be advise that the 95% DEET will melt some plastic and may damage other material.

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for. Hoping for breezy weather which helps keep them at bay out on the water. Time spent on shore is going to be miserable this year.

If possible, avoid getting any of the above products on your hands. When you bait your line, the fish can smell/taste the unnatural stuff on your bait. I've heard Trout are especially picky fish, so I would at the very least rub my hands in some dirt around where you're fishing and rinse it off with the lake water to help mask your smell. I've never been trout fishing, so take that for what it's worth. Can't hurt, tho.

And Skin-So-Soft works amazing on fleas, I can't see why it wouldn't work for ticks, skeeters, etc.

I get to work in wetlands from the arctic circle to central America, and consider a thermacell an absolute essential piece of gear for mosquitos. I wear one on a holster and put another on the dog platform for my retriever when hunting. They're good for a 10-15 foot mosquito-free radius around us. Put one in the front and back of the boat and you'll be gtg.

Thermacell in holster on off-gun-shoulder:
Copyof09-24-09012-1.jpg

A few skeeters resting on my waders in the swamps of south Louisiana prior to turning on the thermacell:
16Jan08010-2.jpg

Good luck!

There's a skeeter on my peter whack it off...
There's a skeeter on my peter whack it off.
There's a dozen on my cousin I can hear the fuckers buzzin..
There's a skeeter on my peter whack it off, whack it off...

+1 on the therma cell works wonders at keeping the bugs away

The skeeters in the U.P. are heavily attracted to skin so soft, here its an appetizer on they're way to your eyeballs.

I've used Skin so Soft with moderate success when the black flies and mosquitos get bad here in the Maine woods. Use the SSS on your skin and anything with deet on your clothes. Cigars help on those fishing trips as well.

For those that want to take their dogs into the woods I've heard dried yeast bricks in their food helps keep the fleas flying pests away.

John

Thanks for the help guys. I've got a couple of Thermacell's on the way and I'll be picking up some Deet filled goodness as well as Skin So Soft before I head up.

Vanilla extract, some on the wrists and behind the ears. Sounds crazy as hell but fishermen in my family have been using it for years in Northern MN

+1 I had a brand new SILVA compass for a week, by the end there were no markings left and the corners looked like somebody had taken a lighter to it, lucky it was issue
laugh.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good advice from the Nailer.

Be advise that the 95% DEET will melt some plastic and may damage other material.
</div></div>