• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need advice on 1st precision rifle

NordicG3K

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Southern Oregon
I've decided my next long gun is going to be a precision rifle. Most of my rifle experience has been with AR format guns in various calibers and so I've decided on a bolt action rather than an AR10 platform. I've had a Ruger 77 in .30-06 for years, but I don't feel hunting out to 300 yards is the same kind of experience, so I still consider myself a newbie.

What I'm thinking of so far is starting with a Remington 700 5R in .308 Winchester. I was leaning towards a .300 Winchester Mag at first, but I seriously doubt I'll be doing any shootin past 1000 yards, plus I'm already set up for reloading the .308. (Is there any significant advantage to the .300 Mag for a recreational/hunting/competition rifle?)

I'm currently waiting on a YHM .308 Titanium Phantom for my .300 Blackout SBR. Is there any reason why I shouldn't go with a threaded barrel and YHM QD brake?

As I understand it the current factory Remington triggers leave something to be desired. Again, I know about AR aftermarket triggers, but what's a good trigger for the 700?

For the chassis I was first looking at the JAE stock, but they are quite expensive when you start adding on all the options, and the wait time is supposed to be long. My second choice would be a AICS. The folding stock option is cool, but is it a practical upgrade worth the price?

As for optics the only premium glass I have experience with is my 2-12x Valdada. It's been a great scope for my 6.5 Grendel AR, but probably not the best choice for this kind of bolt gun project. My glass budget is going to be about $1800, so what are some good options? Should I be looking for a 1st or 2nd focal plane scope? When you're going out to 1000 yards how much magnification do you really need?

I'm sure there are probably other things to consider as well, but that's all I can think of right now. Any and all advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: need advice on 1st precision rifle

Folding chassis is totally worth the money. Cleaning is a breeze compared to the original AI chassis. Scope I would look at Nightforce or IOR. Then add the Jewell trigger and start shooting. I really enjoy my Jewell trigger and my AI 2.0 chassis. For scopes I like my Nightforce but after playing with a IOR ffp I'm thinking I should have went that way.

I had a fixed AICS, I got over taking out the cheek piece to take the bolt out every time pretty fast. I'm much happier with the folding stock and I run them in two of my r700s in 300 win mag and .338 Lapua. I've had my triggers worked over by gunsmiths and they are quite fine, other than that you can look at Jewell or Timney. For a scope I run Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x on my .338 and a 3.5-15x F1 on my 300 win mag. You should be able to find a NSX for just under 2k, if you don't go FFP and in MOA. You could always buy used as well. I don't think you NEED FFP, but it's a great feature. Vortex is another good option for a scope as well, however, I don't have any experience with them.

You have a couple of good folding options.
AICS
McCree
XLR
Maybe more.
1800 sounds like an IOR 3.5-18, they come with a high quality set of rings and are on sale at liberty optics.

Yes there is some very big advantages of the 300 WM over the 308 and there are some draw backs to, namely recoil.

But to make the advantage list short. Well there is extended range, higher velocity, flatter shooting, higher energy.

FFP or SFP, well you need to go look through one before you make that decision. I bought one because I bought into all the hype and turned right around and sold it. I do not like the fluctuation in the size of the cross hair with power changes.

Stocks, I prefer McMillan A5, M40A1-HTG, A3-5, & the A1-3

I wouldnt go less than 20x on a scope. If you start with a 308 then you can always re-barrel when you want to another cartridge. There's no need to go beyond a SA shooting a G & in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RufDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no need to go beyond a SA shooting a G & in. </div></div>

Okay, you lost me on this last part. Please educate me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NordicG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'm thinking of so far is starting with a Remington 700 5R in .308 Winchester. I was leaning towards a .300 Winchester Mag at first, but I seriously doubt I'll be doing any shootin past 1000 yards, plus I'm already set up for reloading the .308. (Is there any significant advantage to the .300 Mag for a recreational/hunting/competition rifle?)</div></div>Good choice. And, no, there's no benefit to a 300WM for what you want to do.

Shilen is a good inexpensive trigger. The Manners MCS-T and T3 are hard to beat as a stock. The AICS is hard to beat as a chassis. The folder is not necessary with a short action R700.

For a scope, if you want value in your price range, have a look at the Bushnell DMR.

Most of those questions can be answered with a search here.

Go with a 308, get decent glass, and proceed to throw lead downrange.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NordicG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RufDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no need to go beyond a SA shooting a G & in. </div></div>

Okay, you lost me on this last part. Please educate me. </div></div>

SA= Short action caliber ie 308 a 300 win mag = long action

G= im guessing he means 1000 yards

I'm a little confused. Are you going to be using the new rifle for " hunting out to 300 yards", or is that the type of shooting you've been doing previously with your Ruger 30-06? If you are using the new rifle for close to medium range hunting, what are you going to be hunting with it (deer, moose, bear)? The answer to those questions will help answer some of yours. There is a ton of information available on this site, as well as other places. Probably the best advice I can give you is to read and research the things you are considering, and then make your own decision as to what will best fit your needs.

HRF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrfunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a little confused. Are you going to be using the new rifle for " hunting out to 300 yards", or is that the type of shooting you've been doing previously with your Ruger 30-06?

HRF </div></div>

Just to clarify, so far my long range shooting experience has been limited to hunting situations out to around 300 yards. I've spent the last five years or so building various ARs and am looking for something different. I'm intrigued by the prospect of shooting at targets way beyond what up to this point I have considered long range and so would like to put together a precision bolt gun. At this point I only plan on using it for recreational target shooting, but may use it for competition, or possibly even hunting, and so I want to make sure it will fit these rolls if needed. This will probably be my only precision rifle, so I'm trying to find a happy medium between a beginner's rifle and a fully loaded custom gun (without breaking the bank). Maybe this is impractical for a first gun, but that's my goal.

So far you guys have been great and I appreciate all the advice. I've ruled out the .300 Winchester at this point and will just go with the .308 5R. I'm still open as to what stock/chassis system to use, but I'm set on something with detachable mags (I guess that's the AR part of my personality). As for glass, I really like my IOR Valdada 2-12x and like the looks of the IOR 3.5-18x which is in my price range. I'll also have to do some more research on triggers. Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!

If your wanting to shoot out to 1000 I would look at something other then a 308!

What's wrong with using your Grendel???