• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need advice on .308 purchase

sierra11b

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Sacramento
Been too long since I did any real shooting and I want to get back into doing what I love. I sold most of what I had years ago to fund my wedding. My budget would be around $3500 for a rifle w/o optics but am entirely open to less if it means a solid platform. For now I want to focus solely on the stick and then optics (and the funds for said optics) later.

I've decided not to rush my purchase and really do things right by saving. I always tend to get carried away and invest too fast into something I may not necessarily want in the long run.

I'm very much open to a 700 5r build but am now weighing my options on what else is out there.
So now I've been considering the Sako TRG-22 or various builders that can get (almost) everything I need done in one swoop. Problem with the Sako is that I'm not sure replacement barrels are an option down the road? What attracts me to this rifle aside from its reputation and looks, is the option of liquidity should I ever need to sell. Although building a rifle is great, it seems like many take a considerable loss at resale because of it being so personalized. Maybe I'm wrong here? If not, then it may benefit me to wait for something good to pop on?

Another option is the AE MkII. Meets my budget and has a solid reputation. I have held an AICS and it fit me well, never shot one, though...

So in a nutshell my options are:
-700 5r build over time.
-Sako TRG 22
-AE MKII
-A built 700 from a custom smith (<span style="font-style: italic">recommendations and links would be great</span> around $3500)
-Hold the money and wait for a classified that fills my criteria <span style="font-style: italic">(btw, I only have enough <span style="font-weight: bold">currently</span> saved for a 7005r out the door, so any links from the classified would be pointless).</span>

My intentions are pretty simple for now... just to have a tactical nail driver for starters. Maybe eventually get into a local club, make some friends and shoot. I don't have time for competition right now considering my profession involves me living and breathing work (chef). Maybe down the road if time and interest peaks? I can cross that bridge if/when I get to it...

Please help a confused buyer in a market filled with unlimited choices.
wink.gif

-Eric

Re: Need advice on .308 purchase

5R, I have one so my opinion is biased but I have never regretted purchasing it. The gun will shoot better than I can. There is a 5R picture thread you can look at to see different directions people have gone with them.

Good luck choosing

Depending on your taste for refinement, for a few hundred bucks over your budget you can get probably the most accurate and well made rifle on the market - a Tactical Operations.

Here's the link.
Tactical Operations

Call Mike, the gunsmith and he'll go over the details with you. They are truly flawless rifles.

If you only have enough for a 5R then your missing base, rings, optic.

So what your truly saying is that you have around 1,000 bucks for a gun/optic?!?

Or do you have a different budget for that?

The 5r's are nice but seem to be fairly hyped up for what they are...they do hold there resale value though.

If your willing to wait a while a GAP Gladius or GAP Crusader would be my choice of custom rifle.

Personally I would never reccomend a custom gun to someone as there first rifle. You need to shoot for a bit to figure out what you like/dont like and what you really want in a gun.

Spending over 3 grand to figure out it isn't exactly how you want it is a big buzzkill.

What I'm saying is that I currently have enough for a factory 700 5R but am patient enough to save for the right weapon. Saving $3500 would be my absolute max for a rifle without rings and optics. I couldn't stomach going over that amount as I would feel too guilty having that much invested. I just want to talk rifles, I will focus my energy on optics afterward. Sorry, should have been more clear...

Would recommend the AIAE Mk II. May be able to find a used one for very decent price. It will be a shooter out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you only have enough for a 5R then your missing base, rings, optic.

So what your truly saying is that you have around 1,000 bucks for a gun/optic?!?

Or do you have a different budget for that?

The 5r's are nice but seem to be fairly hyped up for what they are...they do hold there resale value though.

If your willing to wait a while a GAP Gladius or GAP Crusader would be my choice of custom rifle.

Personally I would never reccomend a custom gun to someone as there first rifle. You need to shoot for a bit to figure out what you like/dont like and what you really want in a gun.

Spending over 3 grand to figure out it isn't exactly how you want it is a big buzzkill. </div></div>

The OP said he had been a shooter previously and wants to get back into it.

There is a nice GA Precision Rock 308 on gunbroker ready to go for around $3200

GA Precision = good stuff

Right. Back when I was a kid I used to shoot an old .243BDL out to distance accompanied by my grandfather that had a fancier set-up. In the Army I shot a lot and even carried an M24 for a little bit in the 82nd that saw better days... it was practically held together with 100mph tape. After I got out I shot for awhile with a 700 .308 but it wasn't a tactical set-up or custom by any means... A basic rifle with harris bi-pod and Leupold glass.

Spend some on a decent rifle and a GOOD optic and the rest on ammo. I could have saved enough by now to buy an AI AE but no optic and no ammo, I built a sub moa Savage for $900 and got a NF 5.5-22 NXS and have plenty of budget left for range time. My point is don't buy a baby that you cannot feed, if you read Zak Smith's excellent series on getting into shooting you will see that the equipment is less than half of the budget that you will need.

But then again WTF do I know, I'm not a sniper but I play one on the internet.

Sierra,

My take on Tactical 308 rifles is slightly different from what has been proposed. I view the complete rifle, with bases, rings, scope and bi-pod as part of a package.

If your missing one the key parts, you don't have a shooting system, just a nice collection of parts.

With that in mind, how much you have to spend on just the rifle is irrelevant because you don't have a complete package.

So what should you buy? I have no idea, but here are some thoughts for you:

Remington 700 XCR Tactical Compact in 308 Win = $1150.
Seekins Precision 20 MOA Base = $100.
Nightforce 3-15x50mm F1 w/rings = $2290.
Notched Leg, Swivel Base 6"-9" w/ Pod Loc = $112.

Grand Total: $3652.

Which is pretty darn close to the $3500. you were planning on spending for the rifle alone. Over time, and as your skills improve you can upgrade your rifle, with a DBM system, action blueprinting, new barrel, new stock, et al. But the majority of your initial money is spent not on the rifle, but on the optics.

Remember it's a system, not just a rifle.

Best of luck,

Bob

I own a Remington 5R in .308 and I also own the new LBC Tactical Recon in .308. Each shoot well but the LBC gives a noticeable edge on long range accuracy. My 5R with optics and accessories is about $2,800 while my LBC including optics and accessories is $5,200. Depending on your own personal preferences and finances either one will perform well. If you can afford it I'd get the LBC but be prepared to wait a few weeks for it.

I see it every week here, somebody's gettin' into it, and they think big.

No real harm, but honestly, I believe also no big benefit.

Take it in easy stages. Rather than a superb rifle which may or may not perform at/near its peak with your current or soon forseeable skills, get a decent basic factory rig and a .22LR trainer, and work on your skill set.

I suspect that with the current state of decent factory rifles, especially like the Savage Varmint rifles, it'll be quite awhile before the basic factory varminter significantly holds back your marksmanship development potential.

Same/Same for optics. Yes, good optics are betetr, but the cost may hold you back when what you really need to be doing is getting basic, wading in, and getting the process actually happening.

Meanwhile, you're in a far better financial position to feed your avocation (and maybe afford a decent handloading capacity), and have more time to save up for that superb rifle, and maybe a better idea of what it should actually look like.

You should be able to do all this for a half, maybe a third, of what you're earmarking.

Just a thought...

Greg

I would go with the TRG 22, especially if you can find a cherry used one. I bought a slightly used one and it shoots 0.5" groups or less alll day long. I formerly used a Remy PSS. You can't go wrong with a TRG 22. Even a new one from Euto Optics would probably cost you less than $3500 depending on what accessories you put on it.

If you have a $3500 budget for the rifle there's no need to buy a Remington 700 action, then true it, add a side bolt release, add a base, bed the base, and still end up with a rifle with the resale value of a Remington.

You don't need a custom build unless you are in a position to take advantage of what it offers - the 'smith being able to tailor/chamber the gun exactly for your precise need.

If the AICS chassis agrees with you then it's hard to beat an AE for value and quality. But I would look at the MK I instead of the MK II unless you need magazine capacity over magazine length.

I am still very much taking everyone's opinion into consideration, even if it means starting from scratch.

But I'm still shopping around and weighing my options... I ran across Suarez Tactical's STR-308C seen here: http://www.suareztacticalrifles.com/our-rifles/

Seems like a nice alternative for the AE MkII but with the option to customize further. Anyone know more about this smith?