• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s need advice on bourbon

royboy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2008
mound, mn
I am going to a tasting with a raffle at the end. 90 people and 30 bottles of Van Winkles you get the chance to buy one . This is what is available:10 year, 12 year, 15 year, Rye, 20 year & 23 year. If I get a shot what would you choose? I have had the 10 and 15 are the older ones worth what I will have to pay? rye?
thanks

Re: need advice on bourbon

From what I have gleaned after talking with our master distiller, it sort of depends on what your tastes are. As a bourbon ages, it picks up more and more of the oak flavors. I imagine this is subject to limited returns.

As far as I can tell, most of the price difference between "young" bourbons and the older ones come from the fact that more and more evaporates as time goes on. Prices of older bourbons have to go up in order to compensate for the decrease in volume per $ investment.

But bottom line, I would taste it and see if you like it. If you think it's worth it, pick it up. If nothing else a 23 year old bourbon is a testament to a kind of patience not common today.

I know nothing about rye, sorry.

I would say that bourbon is meant to be drunk not long after bottling; which means (to inexperienced me) that the customary ages on the bottle are desirable conditions.

Maybe O/T, I recently bought and tried "Devil's Cut"; which is processed from dumped casks to extract that remainder which is trapped deep in the wood. While flavorful and 'interesting', my take is that it leaves an overall bitter finish that I'm not at all charmed by. I will not buy more, and will not drink what I have without adding a ginger ale mixer. For my needs, plain old OGD is most adequate.

Greg

Greg, if I may suggest:

My Lady and I are quite partial to both Booker's and Blanton's. Though these up here are in the $75.00 range, ($85.00 after taxes) we have recently found out about Buffalo Trace.

Might I suggest that you give that a try. It is my Lady's new favorite, and I quite enjoy it myself. We think it is very enjoyable, as it is. We don't mix anything with our bourbon, and quite often drink it from a frozen glass. This way, the ice-cubes that we put into it melt slowly, and are largely still there at the end of the drink.

For about $35.00 a bottle. Give it a shot (pun intended)

We pray for the day, when Pappy is actually available up here. It is NOT on the 'list' of Bourbon's brought into Canada. Well, Manitoba anyways. Few others that we want to try, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would say that bourbon is meant to be drunk not long after <span style="font-weight: bold">bottling</span>; which means (to inexperienced me) that the customary ages on the bottle are desirable conditions.

Maybe O/T, I recently bought and tried "Devil's Cut"; which is processed from dumped casks to extract that remainder which is trapped deep in the wood. While flavorful and 'interesting', my take is that it leaves an overall bitter finish that I'm not at all charmed by. I will not buy more, and will not drink what I have without adding a ginger ale mixer. For my needs, plain old OGD is most adequate.

Greg </div></div>

Perhaps I misunderstood you, but a bourbon should last almost indefinitely in a properly sealed bottle without much if any alteration to taste. In fact, they found some of Shackleton's stash (in Antarctica I believe) recently and it was still good, over 100 years later.

Bourbons in general are younger than their Scotch cousins, and Pappy's seems to be more in line with Scotch aging tradition. Whether you prefer one over the other is up to you.

If what you were trying to say was that Bourbons are meant to drunk at a relatively young age, after 4-10 years in the barrel, than I completely agree with you (though I suppose some might not).

I also would recommend Buffalo Trace, it is a very good bourbon for the price.

Another vote for "Buffalo Trace". The first sip has just a bit of a bite, then every sip after is just heavenly.

Bob

I was surprised at the value of the Buffalo Trace, Bookers and Woodford Reserve, all three very nice bourbons at a very affordable price, much nicer on the wallet than say a bottle of 15 year Oban or 16 year Lagavulin.

Goooood stuff that 12yr is. I'd personally go with it. Seems to be the most consistent.

Yes, I meant the latter. Having worked in the wine industry, both as a cellarman and as a retail sales associate, I doubt that any properly aged spirit gains from further time in a bottle.

I appreciate the suggestions and advice. But I drink cheap. My Bourbon ends its existence in the occasional Bourbon Manhattan, and premium blends, etc., are simply excessive in my applications. It shares my attention with the occasional G&T, and Rum and Pepsi.

I'm no connoisseur of fine spirits.

Greg

Sean, if you like Blantons, give Elmer T Lee a try. He is the master distiller who makes Blanton. About $30 a bottle.

As for Pappy, I prefer the 15.

+1 for 15, I prefer it over all the others, 2nd would be 20, then 12 and i will never buy a 23 again. I personally buy as much 15yr Pappy, and George T Stagg as I can find annually. They're my 2 personal favorites. If you want rye, try the Sazarac.

Pappy 20 yr reserve was rated the number 1 bouron in the world !!! I have had the pleasure of consuming two bottles and have a third I can't bring myself to break open as there are no more bottles. If you can, and I strongly suggest you try, get your hands on the 20 yr reserve, don't miss the opportunity. For the upper tier, I also recommend A.H. Hirsch 16 yr reserve and Mitchter's 20 yr reserve. For mid-tier, Jefferson 18 yr is solid. For "daily" consumption, Blanton's is my go to.

Did I mention Pappy 20 yr reserve is F*CK!NG amazing...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was surprised at the value of the Buffalo Trace, Bookers and Woodford Reserve, all three very nice bourbons at a very affordable price, much nicer on the wallet than say a bottle of 15 year Oban or 16 year Lagavulin. </div></div>

I agree, I've never had the pleasure of trying pappys, so these will have to do.

I am a Makers Mark fan. Have not had Pappy's . I hear it is superb. I bet regardless of age it's all top notch!

I just got back from Rye House in Manhattan where I got to taste a couple different bourbons and ryes for the first time. If you can find a bottle of Jefferson's 18 year Presidential, buy it. It's fantastic and taste remarkably close to the Pappy 20 at much less cost. Second, Hancock's President Reserve was also stellar. I haven't seen it on shelves very often in my communist state of Maryland, but I'll be keeping an eye out.

I also had to excellent rye whiskeys. Old Scout Rye is distilled in WV and has a fantastic taste with little burn. Give it a try. I also really liked High West's Double Rye, which for me is much more available than the Old Scout.

I've had Angels Envy and it has won a spot on my shelf. Currently the shelf is holding up 2 Makers Mark, 1 Angels Envy and 1 Lincoln reserve. The Buffalo Trace that was keeping those guys company gave it his all the other night and went the way of the buffalo...now to find one of his brothers to take his place.

Now youre speaking my language.

Jefferson Reserve is top notch. Anything thats "small batch" is what you want. Older the bottle, the smoother it gets. On the rocks or straight, dont commite a crime and mix it with anything.

Speaking of which.....Im gonna get going

My wife recently brought home a bottle of Eagle Rare single barrel, distributed by Buffalo Trace. It was a great find, and I later learned that it had racked up a number of awards in the past few years.

Yup, that Jefferson 18yr should also say "Presidential Select" in cursive writing and have a small, round, red wax medallion on it. $99 is about ten bucks cheaper than what I paid in Virginia.

I still haven't been fortunate enough to try any Pappy's or George T. Stagg.. can't ever find any..

But the bourbon I enjoy on a weekly basis is Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, and Jack Daniels Single Barrel. I enjoy the taste of each of them. I've seen Jefferson locally so I may have to give it a try after looking here..

I buy the $55 bottle of Jefferson Reserve Very Old Very Small Batch and its very good.

Another fine example of small batches, Bruichladdich Scotch is outstanding. Try the Lady 10. It's a ten year scotch with a smokey tequila like after taste. It's about $60 too.

thought I would update you. When my name was picked what was left was the 12 yr. B Van Winkles better than nothing price was 56.00.
The highlight was , the city didnt like the idea of the raffle at a paid event so the bourbon and food was free!!!!!!
Here is what was there:
Prichards and PRICHARDS SWEET lUCY
JEFFERSON'S 18 AND VSB
Four Roses
Cedar Ridge
New Holland Beer Barrel
Blantons Eagle Rare
Courtney's and Woods
Jeffers Creek
Bernhiem
George Dickle 8 and rye
Bulleit 10yr and rye
Knob Creek, single barrel and rye
Basils Haydens
Bakers
Bookers
Jim Beams Signature craft series( not released yet)
my favorite was the Berhiems.
It was a shame to have to dump samples out but I would have had to crawl home if I drank it all.