• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need advice on performance calibre and rifle

walgren45

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
Kansas, Trego co.
I have owned a DPMS .308 for a couple years now, and although it performs well I think I am ready to spend some money and purchase a quality bolt gun. I need suggestions on what caliber and in which rifle to shoot it. I want to engage targets effectively out to 1 mile. I don't mind a little overkill. I am experienced in shooting as I spent 4 years in Marines. I mostly spent all those years in CQB so didn't learn much about the sniper MOS, although I shot expert every year on rifle range. I think If I can put together an effective bolt gun I can make hits downrange. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: need advice on performance calibre and rifle

Once you say "effectively" out to a mile, you are limiting your choices rather quickly.

50 cal
416 Barret
408 Cheytac
375 Cheytac
338 Lapua

Re: need advice on performance calibre and rifle

For effective hits out to 1760 yards without being overkill would probably be the .338 LM. One thing that someone is eventually going to say is get a cheap .308 and take yourself out to 800-1000 yards with that rifle before upgrading. Something that is always stressed here on the Hide is practice, practice, practice. If you want a rifle that will make it possible to practice out to 800 or so yards with good accuracy but want the capability to hit 1700 yards I'd get the Desert Tactical SRS. Order the chassis then order the .308 kit and order the .338 LM kit after that.

Re: need advice on performance caliber and rifle

Arctic, thanks for the imput and I agree with starting with a smaller caliber rifle such as 308 but I have been engaging targets out to 800 meters with my DPMS. I just want to start shooting farther. I like the AI rifles but am not sure if the 338 is quite big enough. I know it is an ass kicker of a round don't get me wrong. In your opinion what are the limitations of the 338 and the cost of loading the ammo? and what kind of performance can I get out of an Accuracy International rifle. what is the difference in the 338 vs the 408 cheytac?

338 Lapua is the minimum you might be able to get it done, but this round is going to start subsonic transition at this range depending on temp or altitude; I'd recommend however nothing less than the 375 Cheytac, possibly the 408 CheyTac, 50 cal is an option, but I thing it's a better option for anti-material vs. anti personnel.

The biggest gun I shoot long range with is a .308 so... I can't help you with any personal knowledge, just what I've read/seen. Go with a Cheytac or the .416 Barrett and you'll have no issues.

Build up a 375 CheyTac. It ballistically is supperior to either the 408 or the 50 cal. The effective range of this round is closer to two miles. It may be slight overkill for mile shooting, but the additional speed, BC and trajectory will be welcomed.

Once you get set up, you could get down to around 5 or 6 dollars per round to load these. When you get a bunch of loadings on the brass, that cost will go down even more.

To buy loaded ammo is steap though, up to 8 bucks a pop.

If you want the best thing going right now, the 375 is it.