• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need advice on savage 111 long range hunter 7mm

losthelegend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
South Western Wyoming
I am just getting into this long range shooting obsession and I have to say that it is very addicting. I am finding myself going out and shooting as much as I can! Between buying all the reloading stuff, reading as much material as I can and buying more guns and optics I am going to have to get a second job!

Anyways: I am currently looking at purchasing a savage 111 long range hunter in a 7mm. I dont have any experience with savage and am in need of some advice. What do you guys think? Is this gun and caliber able to make long range shots. I want a weapon that can shoot out to 800 yards but with some work on my skills will be able to land a 1000 yard gong! I am not sure what optic I want just yet and may have to wait an month or so depending on the product and model I decide to go with. I am on a budget but I am not a tight ass either. I know that I would rather spend the money now on something worth while than have to replace and start all over a year from now. If you have any other suggestions on weapons or calibers please feel free to give me your .02!

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice! I really appreciate it!

Re: Need advice on savage 111 long range hunter 7mm

For an off the shelf rifle, the Savage Long Range Hunter is a good choice. Reasonably heavy barrel, accu-trigger, and accu-stock. There's some info on Savage's website about tweaking the torque on the action screws. Use a little trial and error to find what torque settings your rifle shoots best at.

Many here will suggest getting a .308 Win. Cheaper to shoot, more match ammo and components available, and less recoil. If all you're shooting is paper, these are good arguments. But if you're interested in putting deer and elk down at 800 yards (or something like that), then the 7mm Rem Mag ain't a bad choice.

Just my $0.02.

With practice, you can shoot out to 1000 yards with a 308win, but that is about the limit. The 7mm has a higher BC and will have less drop and more importantly less wind drift than a 308win, but at the cost of a shorter barrel life.

Do you reload? If not, and you are interested in a Savage, then I would suggest looking at the Model 11 Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor because of match grade reasonably priced loaded ammo by Hornady. It also recoils less than a 7mm, and has a longer barrel life.

7mm over the 300wm all day long...

7mm over the 300wm all day long...

I have a Savage LRH in 308 load it with Reloader 15 and I get .05. I often get out to 900 yards limits of my range. Great gun great price.

The Savage factory 7mm gun is a great one. Helped my Uncle with a Savage 7mm. Put a Holland muzzle break on it, Nighforce scope, and developed a good reload for it. 72G Retumbo, CCI-BR2 primers, Berger 168 Vlds 3150fps. Elk 998 yards was the first blood with the gun.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ&feature=plcp&context=C42141b3VDvjVQa1PpcFN94P8NIMdCd9hLlyQ-oB-BaEuxRVDfquI%3D"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ&feature=plcp&context=C42141b3VDvjVQa1PpcFN94P8NIMdCd9hLlyQ-oB-BaEuxRVDfquI%3D" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>