• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need advice on suppressor

TAKDRIVEN

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2009
DALLAS, TX
Was thinking about getting a suppressor for my Rem SPS 700 in 223.Is there brake/quick detach suppressor on the market that would be best for this gun?

Re: Need advice on suppressor

If you're not so concerned about the quick-detach feature (especially for a bolt action rifle), then contact Jon David Whitson, dba JDW Manufacturing Company, Inc, also dba Shark Suppressors, which happens to be local to you in the Dallas area (he's in Plano); I'd suggest you seriously consider his proprietary design Hammerhead .223 suppressor, despite it not being quick-detachable...

just thread the barrel and buy a threaded suppressor.

If I were to do it again, I would probably go with a YHM .308 can and their flash hiders. That way if you ever got a .308, you could just snap them back and forth without fussing with the threads. I had to buy a thread adapter from a member here.

I have an SPR/M4 from AAC I run on Ar's. I dislike the "tuning fork" sound from the flash hider after every shot.

I prefer thread on for bolt guns and well Ar's. You might wanna check those out.

If you ever plan on running your can on a 308, go with the AAC 7.62 SD.

nothing wrong with running a 308 can on a 223

I have the AAC 762SD and use the brake for the 223 and 308 bolt guns.

AAC M4-2000 or 762SD Or Consider SureFire FA762SS, Fa556AR, fa556-212

There are a number of quality precision cans out there also. Shark, Thunderbeast. IMO it also Depends on what else is in your safe - can you share the can etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arevalosocom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best .223 bolt gun can is a 308 can IMHO.</div></div> ...and how is it that you figure this?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAKEDA54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was thinking about getting a suppressor for my Rem SPS 700 in 223.Is there brake/quick detach suppressor on the market that would be best for this gun? </div></div> If the SPS is going to be your host platform for the can, any reason you are looking for a "QD" vs. a thread on?

Never the less, I own several 5.56 cans and would recommend the Ops Inc 12th MBS hands down.
34143228.png

the one issue you have to look at before running a 308 can on a 223 is the weight. If I am running a SPR and on the ground their is no issue but if I am running a M4 then it becomes an issue. For quite sometime I was using my Gemtech HVT on my DPMS Mini-SASS but I was on the ground with it and then I got a M4 and tried it; it became too heavy and especially front heavy. And, that is what I got a AAC M4/2000 for the M4. Much lighter and does not make it front heavy. Just my two cents.

Unless you have a specific need for a fast attach suppressor, there is no reason not to go with a thread on. You easily save 2-3 ounces of weight, sometimes more, and also save some expense. If you do end up moving cans around, spinning them off and on is really not that difficult.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...and how is it that you figure this?</div></div>

I've metered both .223 cans and .308 cans on .223.

308 cans can often match and exceed dedicated .223 cans from the testing I have done.

In addition, it can also be used on 308s.

So IMHO..........it's a no brainer.

It's kinda like that 45 Osprey thread from the other day.....the 45 can can be used on 3 different calibers and the can does 95% of what a dedicated 9mm can will do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arevalosocom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...and how is it that you figure this?</div></div>

I've metered both .223 cans and .308 cans on .223.

308 cans can often match and exceed dedicated .223 cans from the testing I have done.

In addition, it can also be used on 308s.

So IMHO..........it's a no brainer.

It's kinda like that 45 Osprey thread from the other day.....the 45 can can be used on 3 different calibers and the can does 95% of what a dedicated 9mm can will do.</div></div>
What .308 cans have you tested....I'm curious now the difference between my AAC Cyclone's db reduction shooting 5.56 vs. my AAC, Surefire & Ops 5.56 cans.

I see the benefit of being able to shoot smaller calibers out of larger caliber cans (like the Osprey), but performing better with a significantly larger diameter hole running the baffles and muzzle-end of the can would surprise me a bit.

the larger volume of the 308 cans ran on 223 guns takes care of the larger bore hole "problem".

if you need qd then get the dedicated 223 m42000 or go 762sd to be versatile.

Have the barrel threaded and check out AWC's Raider. I have 3 different 5.56/.223 units and the Raider seems to out perform all of them.

I went with the YHM Phantom 5.56 with the QD. I use it on my 700 sps and my SBR AR. Great price on the Yankee and it includes the QD mount. Extra mounts run about $75. Have shot it side by side with AAC. Both work very well. Hard to tell the difference.

I would go with Ops. The 12th model is perfect for bolt guns.

They will meter within 1 DB of AAC's unit most likely. The Ops should meter approximately 133DB on the bolt gun.

The Ops cans have less impact on bullet flight than suppressors with alternate baffle systems. The Ops cans also have a really sweet sound- all the baffles and porting creates a nice consonant tone to human ears.