• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Need advice on thermal unit w/ $4k budget

dcoil

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2012
I am somewhat familiar with IR night vision equipment, but not thermal. I am in the market for a thermal unit and would like some input. From most of what I’ve read the best bang for the buck is to use thermal for scanning and then IR for identification and targeting. My use is for hogs and coyotes at a distance out to 300 yd w/ a 5.56. I don’t really think I have the accuracy necessary to go any further out so my IR doesn’t need to go any further. On the other hand it would be nice to have a thermal with a slightly longer range to spot them past my targeting range and then stalk or position for them to come in closer. My budget for the thermal is max $4,000. I don’t want to spend more than I have to but I also understand that I will probably get a better experience with a unit close to my max budget. The price range and options for the thermal units is rather large and I have no experience about what would work well for my purposes. I don’t mind buying used if I know the people selling them. I have several friends that are military/contractors that have used units i.e. an insight MTM pas-23 and a BAE pas13-c v1 (which is weapon mountable – don’t know if I need that) that are at the top of my budget. I’ve read a lot of good things about FLIR, and their new hand held units start at just over $2K and go to over $4K. They also have hand held units that are also weapon mountable such as a T14X that is also under the $4k budget. I assume, but maybe incorrectly, that a weapon mountable will have a more limited field of view. From what I’ve read I think it should be at least 30Hz. I don’t know if I need 60Hz or if you can ‘see’ any difference between to 30Hz and the 60Hz units. Suggestions on what would be good value for my purposes would be appreciated.

Kind of went through the same thing myself. Ended up going hog-wild and getting an M18 HD but looked very closely at LS64s.

For your budget one option to consider is a PS32. No affiliation with them but Dawn at Tequipment.net had incredible pricing, also, FLIR has refurbished and demo model PS24 and 32s for sale for good prices as well. FLIR's customer service is very good so I'd have no issue buying used from them at all.

I wish I could give more info as far as resolution, but my experience is limited to the M18 and ultra-high end cooled units . Try going to youtube and searching all the units you are interested in, it should give you a better idea what you are looking for as far as frame rate and resolution is concerned.

LS64 for several bucks more, but a PS 32 will do every thing you need and more and is a jump over the 24. I have a 64 and have no problem spotting coyotes at 500 or hogs way beyond 500, my 32 I could spot hogs at 600 in a open field, just takes a little time behind it

Check out the Pulsar quantum series. They have 160 or 384 cores. They are not FLIR cores, but they come with a 3 year warranty and are comparable to the TS24/32 pro model with 2x extender. I use the LD38 model and its pretty nice for the price. 2x 50mm lens. Video out, AA batteries. All cool features

Thanks all. That gives me some good direction. I think one of these will improve my effectivness in keeping the critters down.

You guys know of any tax breaks, say if your farm/business buys the device for livestock management and location purposes? :)

CHRIS