• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Advice - Orlando Area Housing

G

My son has just accepted a job in Orlando and needs to get down there and find decent housing in the vicinity of his new workplace.
He'll be working at AMD, which is just West of the UCF campus on the East side of Orlando.
Oviedo is close.

He'll drive down next week and get a suite at one of the Candlewood Suites locations, then begin looking for permanent housing.

Any tips on areas to prefer and the ones to avoid would be appreciated very much.

And if anyone wants to rent a house or apartment to a well-mannered and quiet 22 yr old (he really is), then shoot me PM with some details.

Re: Need Advice - Orlando Area Housing

I am from Va i moved to Winter park not far from Oviedo. It is not too bad in oviedo. I would stay away from UCF. Lots of stupid S&^% happens there. I would stay on the northern side of Orlando. Lake Mary is not a bad area. but dont go into Sanford. A little North of lake Mary.
I am sure he will be fine with any place he goes. He may even want to try Maitland. Maitland is a nice city not too far from Oviedo probibly 30 min, but make sure you are not on the outscurts of Eatonville. Pm me if you have any more questions.

Kirk

Thanks, Kirk.
That gives us some starting points!
He'll probably be staying in Altamonte Springs for a few weeks while he gets settled in a begins his search. That's near Maitland, so I'll tell him to look around down that way.

Good to know about UCF as well.

What about the Union Park area?

My brother has been in Apopka for the last 19 years, Altamonte Springs for 5 years prior to that. It's very suburban out that way to down right rural depending on how much driving your son wants to do.

My brother's place is 12 miles from UCF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a well-mannered and quiet 22 yr old (he really is), then shoot me PM with some details. </div></div>

Hmmmmm sometimes the fruit does roll away from the tree.
grin.gif

Good luck to your son.

Thanks to all for the replies.
We're still looking online and trying to narrow it down a bit.
The online reviews of these places are a hoot to read.
One will make you think the place isn't worth burning down and the next will make you think it's Taj Majal.

My favorite so far is the college kid who said something like, "Beware! They expect you to pay your rent on time!"
smirk.gif

altamonte is not too bad of a area. I am just partial to Lake Mary. It is out of the way. close to Orlando and yet far enough away from orlando.

Oviedo is a great little town to live. In fact it was just voted into the top 100 cities in the US to live. That would be my first choice.

As stated I would stay out of the UCF area if possible. Like with any other large college alot of petty crime. Nothing major just more of a headache then anything.

Winter Park, if you can find a house. Lived in Waterbridge, dad built one of the first houses there when it was all orange groves. Anywhere near Lakemont Ave or Brookshire Drive or Palmer Ave is nice. Somewhere near Park Ave if you have big $. Used to be decent priced houses near the Pines golf course. I'm sure housing prices are way up since I lived there even with the economy the way its been. All my old short cuts are traffic jams now. Winter Park is fairly quiet compared to all the surrounding cities near Orlando. Some areas in College Park are really nice too, near Dubsdread golf course.

Some areas in Maitland are nice, someone mentioned that also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kstraughen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah Alafaya is not a great place IMO
</div></div>Haha true ^ there are some decent neighborhoods there though too, but not many

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kstraughen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah Alafaya is not a great place IMO
</div></div>Haha true ^ there are some decent neighborhoods there though too, but not many </div></div>

Depends on what part of Alafaya your talking about. Anything south of Lk Underhill is GTG

I would not want to live too far from the job site. Traffic in the Orlando area is some of the worst. Going to work everyday in it would not be too cool IMO

I don't know Orlando well but I get to this area several times a year. My youngest daughter is a rower who competes at several events held at Turkey lake. Lots of nice apartments and a decent mix of homes from what I have seen.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Turkey-Lake-Orlando-FL.html

And not far from Tiger's old place if your son wants to meet hot babes!

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/08/exclusive-tiger-woods-gives-orlando-home-wife-divorce

Tucker,

If he has trouble finding a place to stay, you might suggest him looking at an extended stay hotel. My wife stays in one 2-4 nights a week being as she works a job that is a 2hr drive one way, so she stays their. Its cheap ($40/night), you get basic cable, once a week house cleaning, etc. Not a great way to survive, but is an option. I know if he is planning on 30+days, they will give him an even better break.

The area around Rollins College used to be real nice. Haven't seen it in a while though, probably expensive now.

3 to stay away from:

Eatonville

Crime Hills (Pine Hills)

O.B.T (Orange Blossom Trail)

Rollins College is in Winter Park and it is very nice. Its also very expensive.

Another area to look into is the Lake Nona area. Its a very up and coming area with some brand new appartments and houses. Its about 12 miles from the UCF area but its a straight shot up the highway.

And best of all there is a great shooting range about 3 miles from Lake Nona.

I lived in that area(Maitland) about 12 years ago, its a nice area. Like redirt78 said stay away from pine hills and OBT. Looks like there are several Tijuana Flats close by they have the best burritos and killer hot sauce. Tijuana Flats alone is worth a trip to Florida.

Yeah Tijuana Flats is good, almost forgot its been so long.

The Harbor apartments on Lake Howell are nice. Its in Casselberry. If he likes to fish you can wade fish or kayak from the apts and catch giant bass with big lures. The Pines golf course has good fish in it, so does Interlachen Country Club. Walk up to the golf cart building and act like you are a member with your rod/reel and tackle box (on Monday I believe) and they will give you a cart hahaha... Plastic worms, a small spinner bait and a small suspending Rapala
smirk.gif

P.S. Say hey to the abundance of cool, good looking women for me

He's leaving tomorrow.
We've looked at a lot of places online, but it's difficult to judge them that way.
He'll stay in a suite near Altamonte Springs for a month while he searches for a good place.
Co-workers may also be helpful in making suggestions once he's on the job.
Thanks to all who gave feedback!

He arrived in Orlando Thursday night at midnight. By 10 AM Friday, he had signed a lease on a nice 2 BR townhouse in a gated community in Winter Springs, just 15 minutes from work.

Now I have to make a trip down there this weekend and haul the rest of his stuff to him, plus some furniture we're donating to the cause.

The kid don't mess around!