• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need advice regarding new 260 barrel

A5M

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2013
Friends,
I would appreciate any advice or any thoughts...

I have a Rem 700 .308 on an AICS 1.5 chassis.... The barrel is about 12 years old, I have shot the heck out of it, and lately has started to shoot all over the place...(or so I told the wife while begging for a new barrel)! In addition, I have an FN SPR .308 to satisfy my .308 cravings. It's a real tack driver, so now I could use a little variety.

Since I already have the chassis, the 700 action, and a bunch of one time shot .308 brass (several hundred empties), I thought about replacing the barrel with a 260 Rem barrel. I understand there may be better or worse calibers out there to replace it with, but the 260 makes sense to me given what I already have vs what I don't have.

After talking to my gunsmith this afternoon, he told me he has been able to obtain Shillen and Douglas barrels within a few weeks after ordering. Hart and others have taken many months as they are back logged. To be honest, I don't want to wait months for a new barrel so I'll probably go with either a Shillen or a Douglas.

My question to you is...which one (Shillen or Douglas) would you prefer and why?

Many thanks in advance.

Get a Bartlein from Bullets.com or Grizzly. 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist will work great with anything the 260 will shoot.

Last edited:
Check out Southern Precision Rifles. They have a couple Rock, Brux and quite a few Kriegers in stock. What contour are you wanting?

Thanks Barney...I'll check those sites. Prices seem to be in the same neighborhood between all 3. Why do you prefer Bartlein?

Kingzero... Thanks. Will be shooting paper with occasional tactical competitions (would like to compete so I can learn from others around me) from time to time. What would you suggest and why?

bugholes.com has the top barrel names in stock, no wait and enough choices to satify the pickiest shooter. get someting in an 8 twist and you are good to go, the only problem is you wont shoot your 308 much after getting a 260.
cheers.

Bartlein has several barrels in stock ready to ship. They have a selection of contours, but all 1:10 twist. Not sure what you were looking for, but they are ready to go. I just bought a new .308 barrel from their stock last week, had it fluted and it shipped out in two days. Couldn't be happier about the turnaround time. They quoted two weeks got shipping notice in two days. Should have the gun assembled in a couple of weeks. Quick, quick custom when you have all the parts in hand. Can't wait! (Forgive my digression, but I'm pumped!)

PS- bug holes has the 8 twist in stock in several contours. They are pretty quick too. I picked up the my action from them for this build.

Last edited:
I ordered a 7mm Barlein blank from Bugholes last week and it shipped the next day. There really isn't any reason to wait months for a blank if you can make a tiny compromise on the contours you desire. And most of the time you can find the right contour in stock at either Grizzly or Bugholes.

And why Bartlein you ask? Because they are regarded as the best out there for the time being.

Thanks for all your answers, leadbullet, Elite, skkeeter.
It seems that I was making more of a big deal than this really was and good barrels are easier to get than I thought.
I will follow your advice and look at Bartlein barrels.
I have been told by more than one person that once I have the 260, the .308 will become a safe queen.....
What a horrible problem to have, huh?

Again, I appreciate everyone's input. I'll get started with this project and will post some pictures when done.