• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need better choices for vinyl stencils for camo paint

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
Ive tried bulldog and duracoat stencils and Im not happy with either. Either the pattern leave a lot to be desired or the cheap vinyl has a tough time sticking to textured stocks. Next step Im guessing is getting my own plotter. Maybe there are others places that sell them?

I know a lot of guys will scoff, but the only way to get a good line on a textured stock is a hand held stencil and a good airbrush.if your insistent on using those other methods maybe you should try to lightly airbrush from the covered side of your stencil so as your paint is not forced under it...This is not so easy but it is possible.also there is a product called spray mask where you mask the part you don't want paint on with the spray mask let dry spray your camo let dry then rinse off the mask ...it come off like soap.

I agree with above , I looked for stencils too then when I couldn't find them I drew and cut them myself with card stock.
I think the softer lines actually look better than perfect edges IMHO but to each his own. I attached a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Buy your wife a Silhouette Portrait cutter and use it to cut your own patterns out of vinyl. Your wife will be happy and you will have the camo you want.

If you will use higher end vinyl you can use a heat gun to get your stencil to form to the texture. 3m vinyl will do this

I know this isn't what you're asking about but you could always pick up a sea sponge and some krylon and have at it...

I bought airbrush frisket from a vendor on ebay and it didn't stick to my stock at all.
I ended up using 3" masking tape and hand cutting stencils with a X Acto on a pane of glass.

new phone phtos 1913.jpg

I agree with above , I looked for stencils too then when I couldn't find them I drew and cut them myself with card stock.
I think the softer lines actually look better than perfect edges IMHO but to each his own. I attached a pic

^Agree

I've used manilla file folders. Feather the edges by holding the stencil off of the item you're painting by a couple centimeters (more distance = more feathering).