• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Build Advice - Remington 700

Knawx

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2014
Recently I fell in love with long range shooting. I drew a desert bighorn sheep tag here in the state of Utah a few months ago, but didn't own a gun I was comfortable hunting the animal with. I contacted the company "Gunwerks" out of Wyoming and they were kind enough to lend me one of their awesome rifles designed for long range hunting. I shot my ram while on the run at just over 450 yards. (Just to clarify, the ram was running, not me) ;)

Now 450 yards isn't exactly amazing by any means, but after the hunt was over I took the rifle out to a local range and was shooting targets at a 1000 yards. I'm hooked.

I own a couple AR-15's and a handful of shotguns, however I don't have anything designed for long range shooting. I've decided to just build my own, but I'm so new to the territory that I could really use some input from experts on the subject.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done some research on stocks and I really like the Whiskey 3 (Gen 4) chassis by KRG.(Welcome to KRG). It accepts the Remington model 700, but I'm not quite sure what caliber to choose? Right now i'm thinking .308 - Is this a good overall caliber in terms of accuracy? I would also like to keep it in a caliber where ammo won't be too terribly expensive.

Here's a list of parts I have compiled. Am I missing anything? Would you recommend switching anything out for something else?

Chassis -- KRG Whiskey 3 Folding Stock -- $1300.00 -- Welcome to KRG
Firing Pin Assembly -- PTG Speedlock Rem 700 -- $65.00 -- Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear ? MidwayUSA
Barrel -- Remington 700 .308 Barrel -- $360.00 -- World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells
Recoil Lug -- Stainless Steel -- $30.00 -- World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells
Receiver Assembly w/Trigger -- Standard 700 SA Receiver Stainless Steel -- $470.00 -- World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells
5rnd Magazine -- Wyatt's Outdoors .308 Mag -- $64.00 -- Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear ? MidwayUSA
Scope -- Not yet decided

Total Cost -- $2289

Are you planning on doing the gunsmithing or sending it out?

Whichever ends up being the smartest choice. I've built AR's before, but I've not put together a bolt action rifle of any kind before. Is it difficult? Could I learn from reading and watching videos online?

I don't think the Wyatt's mags will work with the whiskey 3...I know the W3 is designed for AICS mags and Wyatt's makes their own bottom metal for their mags...maybe someone who has used both can chime in but I think they are different designs

you will either have to invest in the tools for the build or budget for the gunsmith work.
When it comes to precision rifles I would certainly recommend a respected shop.
If you want to build something yourself, then start with a Savage as the barrels are much easier to install

you will either have to invest in the tools for the build or budget for the gunsmith work.
When it comes to precision rifles I would certainly recommend a respected shop.
If you want to build something yourself, then start with a Savage as the barrels are much easier to install

Thanks for the reply!
Any idea how much a respected shop would charge for such a build?

check out:
GA Precision
Short Actions Customs
Phoenix Custom Rifles
Accurate Ordnance
Long Rifles Inc.
RW Snyder Gunsmithing
There are plenty of others as well

Barrel chambering normally runs 250-350
Cerakoting is around 200
Bedding (if your using a stock) is somewhere around 300

any of these guys can set you up with a quote.
If you piece together the parts the build time will be reduced significantly

check out:
GA Precision
Short Actions Customs
Phoenix Custom Rifles
Accurate Ordnance
Long Rifles Inc.
RW Snyder Gunsmithing
There are plenty of others as well

Barrel chambering normally runs 250-350
Cerakoting is around 200
Bedding (if your using a stock) is somewhere around 300

any of these guys can set you up with a quote.
If you piece together the parts the build time will be reduced significantly

Okay, great to know! Thank you.

My first LR rifle, after I realized a Barrett MRAD was not practical, was the base RWS 308. Great rifle, but I would get a nice butt pad and go with the 260 caliber-better BC, so less affected by wind and has a greater range and great stopping power for game! Good Luck with whatever you decide.

My first LR rifle, after I realized a Barrett MRAD was not practical, was the base RWS 308. Great rifle, but I would get a nice butt pad and go with the 260 caliber-better BC, so less affected by wind and has a greater range and great stopping power for game! Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you. I was hoping to go with the Whiskey 3 chassis as I like it's form and function. I'm also trying to avoid buying a complete gun, just to spend more money to restock it.

you can buy just a barreled action from any of these guys,
or just buy the W3 and send it to them

Oh! That sounds like a great idea.

If I buy a barreled action will I be able to drop it into the W3 Chassis and be good to go, or will I still need a gunsmith?

Nope, Just drop it in, torque it down and go shoot

Okay, I'm really liking that idea. I'll have to check out how much a barreled action is going to run me.

Thanks everyone for all the input, especially you strike33.

Barreled action is the way to go, especially for your budget. If you had a limited budget and took your time buying a 700 adl and building as you go wouldn't be so bad but i would get the barreled action and drop it in a chasis so you dont have to spend the $300 for bedding, $300 for blue printing the action and $300 for barrel install. Those figures may be alittle high but now by much.

Barreled action is the way to go, especially for your budget. If you had a limited budget and took your time buying a 700 adl and building as you go wouldn't be so bad but i would get the barreled action and drop it in a chasis so you dont have to spend the $300 for bedding, $300 for blue printing the action and $300 for barrel install. Those figures may be alittle high but now by much.

Yeah, I'm actually checking the local gun listings and i'm finding Remington 700 .308's ranging from $650 to $1100 so perhaps I'll just get a complete gun and switch the stocks.