• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Need dimensions on Savage

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
Does anyone have the dimensions on the barrel shank/threads/tenon area for a Savage Model 12? I'm rebarreling my 204 Ruger in 6-223 as soon as my 6mm blank shows up, I am trying to avoid pulling the 204 barrel off it until the blank gets here so I can continue to shoot the 204 for a few weeks.

Midway claims it will ship on 5/27 but that's hardly the case anymore.

Re: Need dimensions on Savage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Standard Savage shank is 1.060" x 20tpi </div></div>

Thanks.

I would wait till i have the barrel off first, so i could fit the barrel threads to the action.

+1 on waiting till the action is off the barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would wait till i have the barrel off first, so i could fit the barrel threads to the action. </div></div>

I am, I wanted to make sure it wasn't a strange thread pitch or tooth profile that I'd need a special tool insert for. Some of the old actions I have sitting around have strange tooth profiles that required a new threading insert, I want to avoid the additional frustration of not having it on hand.

Keep some HSS tool blanks around so you will always be able to grind your own in just a few minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keep some HSS tool blanks around so you will always be able to grind your own in just a few minutes. </div></div>

Good idea, I haven't ground a whole lot of tools, but I should learn that more.

While I am not a master of it, it really has come in handy more times than I can count.
I have built a collection of about 20 different tools that I ground for special purposes.

Dull? No problem, just take a few seconds to sharpen them.

Sharpening dull stuff I've done many many times, I've probably ground a total of 10 tools from scratch though. I haven't been making chips very long compared to most, only about 6-7 years and it's a hobby, not a profession anymore.

Thanks for the memory jog, I'm going to order a few blanks next time I place an MSC order.

Then you are waaaay ahead of me.
laugh.gif

My dumb ass keep chipping carbide tools, never had that problem with HSS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then you are waaaay ahead of me.
laugh.gif

My dumb ass keep chipping carbide tools, never had that problem with HSS.
</div></div>

I've chipped my fair share of carbide, usually when I do something that I know I shouldn't be but I decide to push it anyway...

Yeah, I need to learn to use them properly.
I started with HSS because I wanted to learn how and why the angles need to be what they are. Figured it was a good skill to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I need to learn to use them properly.
I started with HSS because I wanted to learn how and why the angles need to be what they are. Figured it was a good skill to know. </div></div>

Yep, certainly a good skill to know. I'm definitely lacking in that area because I got lazy. What do you want to know about carbide? I can probably help you out.