• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need headlamp advice

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
My 16yo son is attending a one week camp in Colorado in late july. It's actually part of a three week camp but the week in CO is hiking, rafting, climbing, fishing, etc.. I got a copy of the packing list for the week in CO and it calls for a flashlight. I talked with him and we both agree that a headlamp might be more useful than just a flashlight.

Went to Gander Mountain this afternoon to spend more money (the camp was just shy of $5K) and looked at the minimal selection they had. They seemed overpriced for the light output so I figured I'd ask before spending money on crap.

Looking for something that won't crap out on him, will provide a decent amount of light and won't break the bank. Anyone have any recommendations?

Re: Need headlamp advice

Look at Princeton Technologies LED lights. They make a variety of headlamps also. The LEDs seem to put out a decent light and the batteries last a long time.

Check out the Petzel Tikka series. great little ligts, durable and bright.

3b5c62fb-ce85-4555-bda9-af274f2aa61a.jpg

+ 1 on the Petzel on durability. I have one that's survived a couple dozen night jumps and three deployments. Still going strong. It's not the brightest light out there but plenty bright for most situations.

Any of the Petzels are good quality kit, I really like the ones with the red filter that flips up and down. It makes simple tasks like calls of nature nice with out blinding your buddies coming back to camp.

Petzel makes good quality gear. I have several of their older lights. But I haven't tried any of their LED lights. I just haven't beed exposed to any of their LEDs yet.

I do a lot of camping and tried a few of headlamps. I can say that the petzl, black diamond, princeton tec and even the energizer head lamps are all great options. It really comes down to how much output youre looking for and battery life. Battery life is pretty long on most LEDs nowadays.

Petzl Tikka is where it is. give him 2 changes of AAAs and he'll be set.

Let me know if I can help out on gear - I got plenty Cory. Got a good pack and bag he can use. Stove too if needed. Knives. Glock E-tool. More gear than I got time to use. You know the deal.

Walmart, engergizer brand LED works great, 2 aaa last long enough to fix planes on graves for two days, I perfer the one with two white LEDs and one red, I think there 10 bucks

Years of mountain climbing has led me to rely on Petzl for my headlamps. The $10 Energizer or cheap ones are what I use around the house for mechanic work, etc.

Get 2 lights - one light, unobtrusive one (like a Petzl Tikka) with basic LED's for reading, close-in work, etc, and one higher-output model for hiking etc. Preferably get LED's in both models, AA and AAA only for flexibility. That way he also has a backup if one goes missing.

I like wearing a baseball cap when shooting, so I use a Surefire Helmet light with a Z71 clipped onto the bill of my hat. You can till the light and change to intensity between 3 settings. Plus there is nightvision safe red light. You can also clip it onto you shirt or vest.

From the point of view of a professional hunter working in Africa the ONLY choice on the market is surefire...I managed to get a sample of their new model powered by AA batteries but they do a great one with the lithium batteries as well.

More light, longer run time by far than ANY other brand I have tried. Also, if you buy the best, you don't need to replace it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Petzl Tikka is where it is. give him 2 changes of AAAs and he'll be set.

Let me know if I can help out on gear - I got plenty Cory. Got a good pack and bag he can use. Stove too if needed. Knives. Glock E-tool. More gear than I got time to use. You know the deal. </div></div>

Thanks Leo. Fortunately the camp he is going to provides a pack and takes care of the cooking/eating equipment. The pack was what I was dreading but was pleasantly surprised to find out I didn't have to shell out the money for one.

I've ordered a Fenix headlamp in to check out. As much as I hate that they're made in China I have to admit that I have been extremely pleased with their P1D model which has been bouncing around in my pocket for the past two years and has been great. If my Son doesn't like it or it doesn't appear to be up to snuff I'll go for a Petzl. I didn't realize Surefire made a headlamp, I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again for the help gentlemen.

I would have to agree that Petzl is top notch and goes on every camping trip or outdoor adventure that i take. Dont overlook the Fenix though! I was looking for a super bright headlamp for caving and finally decided to purchase a Fenix HP-10 from ebay. I dont remember what i paid, but let me tell you that it was worth every penny! Now my petzl lights are used as backup lights, as this one id BRIGHT! I dont know how true the runtimes are, but i have had mine for almost 6 months now and have used it ALOT. I still havent put fresh batteries in it. Im still using the cheap crap that came with the headlamp.. Good luck with your search. I hope you find the right light, and try not to get addicted. Maybe its just me, but im almost as addicted to flashlights as i am to guns!

Petzel LED. Try REI or other high end mountaineering shops. You want the good stuff when you're days away from the trail head. I'd also take a small surefire LED.

In backpacking, like anything you get what you pay for.

I spent many many summers in Eldora growing up. What a great time. I'll always remember Longs Peak.

+ 1 for the petzl tikka, alot of my Marines use them, they abuse the hell out of em, and they pretty much take it. it was also in the Marine Corps Times for new gear a while back. I dont like the crap on my head but if i was younger id probably say it would def be a cool thing to have.

On a budget, then get any of the petzels. I started stocking the Surefire saint series and have had great feedback on those as well.

I like the idea of a tikka and a small hand held led light. Check out htis litle light. I sell alot of these to the soldiers. It throws 90' and is tiny and ruged. Dont confuse it with a cheap light you would find at the dollar store.
http://www.modarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_3&products_id=9

+1 on the petzl mines been hiking all over the south, long battery life and good beam.

I agree with the poster who suggested having an extra, smaller light as a backup.

Beware of the Princeton lights that claim to be waterproof. They're not. Not only that, but they'll only replace it with another light that's not waterproof.

The test that both Princeton lights failed was just being strapped into the back of my creek boat (kayak). I wear a skirt on the boat, so not much water gets in.

I don't use Princeton lights anymore, but in all fairness the UKvizion that I use now stays in the drybag.

Please be sure to have your son play with the light a little before using it, too. A courteous headlamp wearer will divert the light from his friends' eyes!

I know it's expensive, but your son's going to have a life changing experience! He'll be grateful.

Enjoy,
Bob

The best headlamp I have ever used is the Zebra light H60 220 lumens. It puts out a wall of light that lights up everything in a broad 90 degree path for 75 yards. I mean this thing made me retire all my other "great" headlamps. Dont even bother with any other headlamp. It runs on AW 18650 2200ma rechargeable batteries. The AW 2600ma's are too big to fit. The 18650 will run on medium for 4-5 days or on high for 2 days.
http://www.zebralight.com/H60-Headlamp-18650-Flood_p_10.html#

h60h60wmain.jpg

H60H60wAccessories.jpg

http://www.lighthound.com/AW-18650-Protected-2200-mAh-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_105.html

aw18650p.jpg
thumbnail.asp

http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-WF-1...er_p_2279.html#

ultrafire_wf-139_charger.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It puts out a wall of light that lights up everything in a broad 90 degree path for 75 yards. </div></div>

What? You should just go outdoors during daylight if you are that skeert...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It puts out a wall of light that lights up everything in a broad 90 degree path for 75 yards. </div></div>

What? You should just go outdoors during daylight if you are that skeert... </div></div>

You try to post useful info people can use and the clowns come out of the caves. Go back to working for code pink and Al Gore will ya?

Its amazing how some azzhole always has some stupid opinion here.

If I wanted your opinion I would had given it to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clowns live in caves? </div></div>
Only the real scary ones!

+1 for the INOVA, 3 years and still going strong. Plus the various light patterns help a lot in a small package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Don Heath D.Sc.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the point of view of a professional hunter working in Africa the ONLY choice on the market is surefire...I managed to get a sample of their new model powered by AA batteries but they do a great one with the lithium batteries as well.

More light, longer run time by far than ANY other brand I have tried. Also, if you buy the best, you don't need to replace it... </div></div>

Which Surefire model are you talking about? What sort of light source and what are you calling a long run time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Don Heath D.Sc.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the point of view of a professional hunter working in Africa the ONLY choice on the market is surefire...I managed to get a sample of their new model powered by AA batteries but they do a great one with the lithium batteries as well.

More light, longer run time by far than ANY other brand I have tried. Also, if you buy the best, you don't need to replace it... </div></div>

Which Surefire model are you talking about? What sort of light source and what are you calling a long run time? </div></div>

The surefire Saint runs on AA or 123 batteries. The Saint Minimus runs on 123 batteries only.

Surefire claims 6hr runtime at 100 lumins and 144hr at 1 lumin (on the Saint version). The output is infinatly adjustable from 1-100 lumins. I'll add that those are Surefire lumins which I think must be measured differently than the other manufacturers because 100 surefire lumins seems as bright as 450 brand x lumins. I think the run time is excellent because you will most likely use it near the lower power settings most of the time.