• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help Burris Xtr 2 4-20, Bushnell DMR gen2 3.5-21, PST gen 2 4-20.

showlow50

Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
AZ,navajo country
This is driving me crazy but it is a short trip LOL. I am going to buy one in the next week but can't decide which one. Tracking is the most important next retical and then glass my eyes are so old I don't think I can really appreciate the difference . Price is third because when you are spending over a grand what's 300.00. I need to hear from people who actually bought one of these and have some time behind them. Please help an old fart who is thired of looking at all the reviews and still can't make up his mind.

I had the Bushnell and have two of the burris's. I think the Burris is an overall better scope. Seems to be built a little better and looks just as good as the more expensive Steiner T5xi . All I can say is both of them are excellent scopes and you wouldn't be unhappy with either one. I like the scr reticle in the Burris. I have a viper pst in 1-4 so I can't compare. What I can say about the viper is that I really dislike the shim system in the 1st generation viper scopes.

I had 2 of the Burris XTR2 4-20 Scr. Tracked awesome. Reticle is really nice. Build was nice. Glass was terrible. It seems the more money one spends on a scope the less of a compromise must happen for the price point to be correct.

Especially with your 'experienced' eyes you will notice a difference in glass. With the Burris I found it hard to concentrate and stay in focus with my eyes. 40 rounds for practice was a grueling exercise. When I went with the Athlon Cronus BTR it was like a milk cloud was lifted from my eyes. Life was good again and could enjoy shooting and training. I even sent one of the Burris back to them to fix the cloudiness. No difference.

If if you want less of a compromise type of rifle. Spend ~1450 and go with the Cronus. To me. The Burris was like taking your glasses and having them fogged. The mind tries to see through it and it's exhausting.

Just my experience. On two scopes. Same experience. Just saying. And they say they fixed it. Just not good.

Bushnell for me. Tracking is dead on. Glass is beyond good enough for me. Haven't seen a second gen Vortex yet. Looked through a XTR a few times. Probably more value for the money than the Bushnell, glass seems maybe slightly less clear but still damned good. I really like the Gap reticle though.

You can eliminate the PST Gen2 in 4-20 since it doesn't exist. They do however make a 3-15 and 5-25.

I have been running a Burris XTR II on my comp rifle for the last two years. Earlier this year I bought a higher end scope and moved the Burris to backup. Well the other scope lost tracking after 6 months and I put this Burris back on for the last two matches. Still works, still holds zero, still has accurate tracking. I shot it yesterday at a BWRS match had stages 200yds to 1000yds had no trouble seeing the smaller targets (1-1/12 Moa) managed to hit the IPSC 6/7 at 1000yds in moderately heavy mirage and fish tailing wind with the G2B reticle. Glass is not perfect but Is worlds better than any other $850 scope I looked at. Yes you can buy them for that with that reticle if you look around. Having said that I just bought a 4.5-18 LRTS this week and so far I am impressed. I will need to spend more time with it though before I can recommend it. It tracks fine so far but I want to see how it holds up.

Last edited:
Thanks CavReconScout for your input , I shot a two rifle match last weekend and the sponsored shooter on my squad recommended the Burris for the price range.

Had a burris, and still have a bushnell 3.5-21, every time I got behind the bushnell I realized how soft the Burris image was, loved the turrets and reticle.

My Burris XTR II's , 4-20x and 5-25x, are finally gone! I went back to an old Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 and an old Weaver 3-15 tactical. I just could not get used to the glass. I wanted to like the scopes. Overall they were a very unsatisfying purchase.

The Burris is a solid performer. There are tons of these at the club level in PRS, and a few fellas in higher circles running them.

I shot the MGM Ironman PRS Gas Gun Series match last weekend. Savage had a display and a bunch of rifles for us to shoot. They had new DMRs on them and an XTR II on a bolt gun. It was nice to out them side by side. I do like the Bushnell, it's a nice scope. I think you would like how the Burris compares. I've looked through the Gen II PST, my jury is still out.

Good luck in your decision. Thanks for giving Burris a shot.

Thank you all for your imput it seems to be between the DMR and the XTR. Is there a improvement in glass in the next generation in eather of these two models?