• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes NEED HELP CHOOSING RINGS! PLEASE!

TacticalPatriot86

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2018
So I recently purchase a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmor and want to do some long range shooting with it. Ranges will be from 300-500 and the occasional 1000 yd shots. I have already replaced the trigger with a Timney Calvin Elite 2 stage and love it and want to put the best components into I can find, I understand there are gonna be many opinions here but my budget is $200 for rings and am stuck between APA, Badger, Steiner and ARC M10 rings. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated! Current scope is a Vortex PST 6X24X50 with 30mm tube. Future plans are KRG bravo chassis, APA little Bastard brake and Magpul bipod. Thanks all for any help!!!! God Bless and have an awesome day!

Of the rings you listed, I only have experience with ARC and Badger, and they are both top notch. Nightforce isn't on your list, but they are also top shelf. When it comes to the top tier rings, pick a brand and don't stress about it.

Of the rings you listed, I only have experience with ARC and Badger, and they are both top notch. Nightforce isn't on your list, but they are also top shelf. When it comes to the top tier rings, pick a brand and don't stress about it.
Seems everyone is going ARC, which from what I read are top notch and nightforce ANYTHING are as well just didnt list for no reason. I just want the best product i can get if Im gonna spend that kind of money which im fine with. Thanks all and keep the opinions coming

I got Steiner rings. They are very nice, no lapping was needed. They are fairly low profile. They good for scopes with limited space.

But everything on your list is good to go.

Reactions: TacticalPatriot86
I have Seekins, Badger, Farrel, and ARC. They are all top quality rings but I'm going ARC from now on just for the ease of scope installation.

I had zero problems with Seekins or Badgers, but I do like my ARCs best.

Should probably say why, to be helpful. They are rock solid and look good, but I prefer the screw to lock them in. Much easier installing when you don’t have to do back and forth between 4-6 screws as the scope shifts ever so slightly every time. Not with the ARCs.

Last edited:
Just an update, with all the feedback and reviews I looked up prior to this post I went ahead and ordered the ARC M10. I cant wait for them to get here and huge thanks to everyone who gave me there feedback. Thanks so much !!!!!

i also recently went with ARCs on a SAC build i acquired. Seem to be high quality. i was and still am a seekins fan but i will mount up my scope tonight and see how it goes.

side note: anyone have a preference on which side to put the rail screw heads on? bolt side or left side?

I would suggest looking at Burris XTR Signature rings. Never scratch your scope, no lapping, the ability to get your scope very close to center left and right and the big one ... gain 20 moa with the inserts. For a long time I wasn't aware Signature series existed in 34 mm. I have used Burris Signature series in 1" and 30 mm for years. Another big plus is they cost $110 shipped from Amazon, may even find them cheaper. I currently use Badger, Seekins and Vortex (made by Seekins). The Burris quality is equal to the others I have plus I get all the benefits of what I mentioned above. Honestly, just for the gain of 20 moa I don't see why anyone would choose something else.

I would suggest looking at Burris XTR Signature rings. Never scratch your scope, no lapping, the ability to get your scope very close to center left and right and the big one ... gain 20 moa with the inserts. For a long time I wasn't aware Signature series existed in 34 mm. I have used Burris Signature series in 1" and 30 mm for years. Another big plus is they cost $110 shipped from Amazon, may even find them cheaper. I currently use Badger, Seekins and Vortex (made by Seekins). The Burris quality is equal to the others I have plus I get all the benefits of what I mentioned above. Honestly, just for the gain of 20 moa I don't see why anyone would choose something else.
Because a lot of rilfes come with 20MOA rails so unless you need 40MOA cant and want to use rings instead of a 20MOA mount there is no advantage to go with he XTR's.

Because a lot of rilfes come with 20MOA rails so unless you need 40MOA cant and want to use rings instead of a 20MOA mount there is no advantage to go with he XTR's.
Well unless can't use the extra 20 mm then you would be correct. Even so, the inserts also come in 10 and 5 moa. But I guess if someone is happy with losing some elevation adjustment then that's ok with me. Even if a person couldn't use any of the inserts for elevation, they could still get their scope closer windage wise. Plus, all the other benefits I mentioned above.

Here are two examples where the inserts have/will solve a problem for me.

1. My Keystone Precision Trainer 722 would run out of windage adjustment no matter what scope I tried. Keystone couldn't fix the problem and the barrel shot so good I didn't want them to replace it. I solved this problem using XTR 34 mm rings.

2. After mounting my S&B 12-50 x 56 on my Anschutz 1710 XLR I was half or more into my elevation. I bought a D.I.P. 25 moa base and saved 110 clicks in elevation. That is equal to 27.5" of elevation adjustment at 100 yards. I'm still in my 2nd turn so eventually I'll get another set of XTR rings and use their inserts and save even more elevation adjustment.

I'll be honest, I have owned about 5 HMR's and I can tell you my favorite mount for this weapon by far is this one (and I do have an ARC mount):
http://www.nightforceoptics.com/accessories/direct-mount
Why need two pieces to get there when you can use one? It has 20 MOA built in and an awesome recoil lug that lines up perfectly on the HMR. Its also lighter than any other option you will find.
Here is an old pic of one of my first HMR's with an LRHSi and the NF Direct Mount:
IMG_20180209_162247.jpg

Last edited:
Well unless can't use the extra 20 mm then you would be correct. Even so, the inserts also come in 10 and 5 moa. But I guess if someone is happy with losing some elevation adjustment then that's ok with me. Even if a person couldn't use any of the inserts for elevation, they could still get their scope closer windage wise. Plus, all the other benefits I mentioned above.

Here are two examples where the inserts have/will solve a problem for me.

1. My Keystone Precision Trainer 722 would run out of windage adjustment no matter what scope I tried. Keystone couldn't fix the problem and the barrel shot so good I didn't want them to replace it. I solved this problem using XTR 34 mm rings.

2. After mounting my S&B 12-50 x 56 on my Anschutz 1710 XLR I was half or more into my elevation. I bought a D.I.P. 25 moa base and saved 110 clicks in elevation. That is equal to 27.5" of elevation adjustment at 100 yards. I'm still in my 2nd turn so eventually I'll get another set of XTR rings and use their inserts and save even more elevation adjustment.
Yea no dump. I have at least 8 sets of these and they work great, no slip, no scars or marks of any kind and lots of adjustment for factory drilled actions that can be off center. You can also use the zero zero inserts and have no cant. I guess they are to cheap to be good.

So I recently purchase a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmor and want to do some long range shooting with it. Ranges will be from 300-500 and the occasional 1000 yd shots. I have already replaced the trigger with a Timney Calvin Elite 2 stage and love it and want to put the best components into I can find, I understand there are gonna be many opinions here but my budget is $200 for rings and am stuck between APA, Badger, Steiner and ARC M10 rings. Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated! Current scope is a Vortex PST 6X24X50 with 30mm tube. Future plans are KRG bravo chassis, APA little Bastard brake and Magpul bipod. Thanks all for any help!!!! God Bless and have an awesome day!
I've got Talley 30mm High Tactical 6-Screw rings on mine on a Talley Remington 700 SA 20 MOA base and I'm shooting the same distances you described with excellent results. I had talked to a Bergara customer service rep. to see what he personally would recommend and got what he told me - I couldn't be happier.

Wel they came in today and I got em mounted up, man these things are beefy as hell!!! Love em!!

Attachments

• EB7BDC22-FB51-4A7D-92BC-0530D11D4AC8.jpeg
    EB7BDC22-FB51-4A7D-92BC-0530D11D4AC8.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 70
  • 980D0368-DEF3-4613-BE51-6C634CB1E19D.jpeg
    980D0368-DEF3-4613-BE51-6C634CB1E19D.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DA0042DB-AECE-484B-8766-36396483C21A.jpeg
    DA0042DB-AECE-484B-8766-36396483C21A.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 72
  • BB516A0B-7D1E-49F9-9006-321E1AE5C33B.jpeg
    BB516A0B-7D1E-49F9-9006-321E1AE5C33B.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 951E617A-F5B5-44CC-8B11-D86E2030CA08.jpeg
    951E617A-F5B5-44CC-8B11-D86E2030CA08.jpeg
    623.8 KB · Views: 78
just mounted up my first set of ARC rings this weekend. Wow, what an easy way to get this done. single screw on the clamp was awesome and extremely fast. Though i like seekins stuff very much, the 6/4 screw rings are tedious with the cross-tightening to get even clamping pressure.

ARC was such a breeze, im sold on them here on out.

I have never handled or seen the ARC rings in person. What makes them so popular or any better than traditional style rings? Not trying to start an argument. I am genuinely curious as I am going to need a new set of rings for another rifle next year when it comes in. I have always used either Leopold, Badger, our Seekins rings.

Well, I don't even have the ARC rings and I can answer this question just based on observance.

1. You only have a grand total of two bolts per ring to deal with.
2. You don't have a top and bottom half to mess around with.

Now, for the big question...would these two unique features make me want those rings at their price over my Badger, Vortex/Seekins, Burris signature or even my cheap ass but very very nice UTG rings? NO, it wouldn't.

What would make me buy these rings over any other would be if they had the MOA inserts like the Burris Signature series has. This last feature would make them the ultimate scope rings. For me, the MOA insert features is highly important. If you do a +/- 20 in both rings you can get another 40 MOA adjustment...think about that.

This ^
I have a set of XTR signature rings and will never use anything else. Not only can you and anything from 0 to 40 MOA, they come in very handy when trying to get a scope as low as possible without touching the front rail or barrel. Bonus is there is no way to scratch a scope with them. Double bonus, $100.

Reactions: Kisssofdeath