• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help figuring out best way to work up a load for a brand new caliber in a brand new barrel

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
6.5x47 lapua load development for a brand new 26in barrel. Interested in small groups on paper mostly at 100-300 yards for now. I did ask the barrel manufacturer but they did not avail me of a preferable load.

I have already purchased all of the following.....new Lapua 6.5x47 brass, Varget powder, CCI BR-4 small rifle primers, Forster Full length die set, Lapua Scenar projectiles 123gn

I checked the Varget site and they list the following range of values for Varget when i reference the 123gn projectile. 32.6gn - 36.2gn Varget at a COAL of 2.685in

I would envision first starting all loads with a consistent C.O.A.L. of 2.685” to minimize too many variables at the get go.

Then, Is it reasonable/prudent/efficient to load 3 rounds of each of the following grains of Varget:

3 rounds of 32.6

3 rounds of 32.8

3 rounds of 33

3 rounds of 33.2

3 rounds of 33.4

3 rounds of 33.6

3 rounds of 33.8

3 rounds of 34

3 rounds of 34.2

3 rounds of 34.4

3 rounds of 34.6

3 rounds of 34.8

3 rounds of 35

3 rounds of 35.2

3 rounds of 35.4

3 rounds of 35.6

3 rounds of 35.8

3 rounds of 36

3 rounds of 36.2

For a total of 57 rounds....is this the best way to do this? is there a better way? thank you

Personally I would probably start with 0.3 gr intervals. Are you planning to shoot an OCW type test? chrono? You might also consider just loading one round at each load and going up until to see pressure... might save you pulling some bullets. One of our knowledgable members has observed that the most tunable load often sits around 98% of where pressure signs start.

i don't have a chronograph so will have to rely solely on results on paper target. 0.3 certainly would make it easier i would imagine...didn't really know how broad a span to allow

i don't have a chronograph so will have to rely solely on results on paper target. 0.3 certainly would make it easier i would imagine...didn't really know how broad a span to allow
No worries. Do the single round runup to find pressure, the do an OCW with loads around that 98% load. Then adjust seating depth and shoot for groups. Then shoot for groups at distance to see how they hold up. If you find a lot of vertical dispersion at distance there may be an issue with muzzle velocity variability. Otherwise... GTG!

yes sorry...it's a Sig Tango 6, 3-18x, FFP scope

does a single round runup mean starting at the heaviest weight loads and exclude any load that shows any signs of increased pressure...and then do an OCW test?

I just re-read the OCW test and if i'm understanding it this is the process:
start with the first 3 as sighters and to see if you have any pressure problems:

Sighter 33.7gn Varget x 1 (93% of 36.2)
Sighter 34.4gn Varget x1 (added 2% to above)
Sighter 35.08gn Varget x 1 (added another 2% to above)
Then start shooting groups of 3 if no pressure problems noted above
35.7gn Varget x 3
36.06gn Varget x 3
36.4gn Varget x 3

shoot round robin style...identify the groups that all congregate at a similar point of impact.

It just doesn't sound right to me...am i misunderstanding the process?

Last edited:
yes sorry...it's a Sig Tango 6, 3-18x, FFP scope

does a single round runup mean starting at the heaviest weight loads and exclude any load that shows any signs of increased pressure...and then do an OCW test?
Start at the low end and work up to pressure... carefully. Examine each case after firing it before going to the next one up. Stop when you see any pressure signs. If you have doubts about recognizing pressure get an experienced reloader to go to the range with you.

First, I would run 60 or more rounds down the barrel first.
Your barrel will speed up as you break it in and if it speeds up enough, what you thought was a
good load at 25 rounds will change,
Then run the test you want.
Just my 2

i understand...i only have 20 rounds through it so far. have been saving the brass. tough to get 6.5x47L locally. Regardless, will get it to 60 then will try the aforementioned.

Yeah sometimes it takes more than 60. My most recent barrel speeded up until it got to 150. A chrono helps here, but honestly out to 300 you might not notice too much of a change. As @Ranger188 said, if something seems not right early on after you think you have your load, might need to retry some of the (probably lesser) charge weights. Your understanding of the OCW procedure is correct, but load up an extra round of each charge just in case you pull one... no cheating though ?. If you know you pulled one mark its position in your log book so you know which one to disregard. Sometimes it helps to dry fire between rounds until you are comfortable that your technique is steady. You want three good shots. Taken your time. Let us see what you get.

Last edited:
Personally I would probably start with 0.3 gr intervals. Are you planning to shoot an OCW type test? chrono? You might also consider just loading one round at each load and going up until to see pressure... might save you pulling some bullets. One of our knowledgable members has observed that the most tunable load often sits around 98% of where pressure signs start.
I just finished my 6.5x47 Lapua 8twist 5 R Bartline bbl Rem 700 true Band C stock. I would first load some rounds to see where you get pressure. I am still working on mine but finding Berger 130 Hybrid AR tactical with 37.2 grains and Berger Hybrid target 140''s with 35.5 grains so far. The 130''s are much faster. I have 8lb Varney and I'm retired. Going to buy a lb of I'M 8208 XBR. OF course there's H4350 which seems to be most popular and best for temp sensativity.

So, after going through Hornady 130 ELD'S, and 140 gr. Berger 130 Hybrid AR and 140 Hybrid target . Powder used is Varget, H4350 , IMR8208 XBR.
looks like it likes the 130 bulltes. I live in Phoenix so Temp sensativity is big so H4350 probably best .

thank you....finally found Varget in stock at Powder Valley so i ordered some. appreciate the information. I ran out of the 123s but if i recall i have 139 Scenar and maybe Berger 130 VLDs to work with. I don't have a chronograph...perhaps next year.

You might want to research the Berger method. You pick a middle of the road powder charge and find the seating depth first. Their theory is that seating depth will remain about the same reguardless of the powder and load.

Bill

fascinating....thank you
it seems i'm jumping all over the place and now that i'm learning more i realize how important it is to more efficiently and effectively hone down the explorative experience.

probably should have just picked a single projectile first.

thank you...i'm reading (and shortly will re-read to try and best incorporate.

it's interesting, i managed to secure a very nice small group of just less that .2 MOA but unfortunately it was obtained with a significant jam (tough to close bolt). It was 34.8grains Varget, 139 grain Scenar projectile, COAL of 2.70 inch, no pressure changed noted on review....i was trying to reproduce the factory 139 scenar load....got to check those numbers again and especially the COTB.

I think if i could get an accurate measure of where the lands are i'd be in better state. I tried the commercially available tool but don't seem to get reproducible values despite trying several different techniques...I'm going to try the fire formed case system next.

thank you...i'm reading (and shortly will re-read to try and best incorporate.

it's interesting, i managed to secure a very nice small group of just less that .2 MOA but unfortunately it was obtained with a significant jam (tough to close bolt). It was 34.8grains Varget, 139 grain Scenar projectile, COAL of 2.70 inch, no pressure changed noted on review....i was trying to reproduce the factory 139 scenar load....got to check those numbers again and especially the COTB.

I think if i could get an accurate measure of where the lands are i'd be in better state. I tried the commercially available tool but don't seem to get reproducible values despite trying several different techniques...I'm going to try the fire formed case system next.