• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need Help, Horus Reticle Question

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    I am trying to decide which Horus Reticle I want, and I am not sure what the lines mean ?

So I was hoping someone could give me some insight, the holds, the wind calls, seem easy enough but I want to be sure, can I range with these ?

antiaircraft-machine-gun-sights-thumb15137048.jpg

The Tremor is really confusing hoping I can get the specs

HK_AntiAircraftSights.jpg

This model, I think it is H34, I think will really help improve my shooting, so anything you can tell me about it would be great.

34spider-030316.jpg

I'm Not much for practicing and I can't get to the range, but i figure with this, how can I miss, right, just hold in the correct place, and I am good. I know I won't get confused at all because it is laid out so well. Eventually I'll read what is out there, and I bought the DVD, still I would like to know more.

Question, has anyone ever held the wrong line ? Nah, never mind couldn't happen too easy. But what will happen if I can't see where my bullet went ?

Thanks

Re: Need Help, Horus Reticle Question

I don't know about those reticles, but I really hope Horus produces the reticle I designed for those situations where you have to hold your rifle sideways like I saw in the Magpul video. This is without question the most versatile reticle ever conceived.

H25_Huge-600x600.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">None of them work unless you sight in 1 moa left. And that's at the target, not at the scope. Big difference ! </div></div>

1 moa left if you have the mil reticle, but 1 mil left if you have the moa reticle.

I'm working on my own reticle design that will eliminate all of these issues, it also catches bugs and when illuminated will work as a bug zapper. Very Snipery.

sf1005-spiderweb.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about those reticles, but I really hope Horus produces the reticle I designed for those situations where you have to hold your rifle sideways like I saw in the Magpul video. This is without question the most versatile reticle ever conceived.

H25_Huge-600x600.jpg
    </div></div>

I think this reticle design is not all it could be. I think there is a little space being wasted in about the 1 o'clock area. Back to the drawing board boys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about those reticles, but I really hope Horus produces the reticle I designed for those situations where you have to hold your rifle sideways like I saw in the Magpul video. This is without question the most versatile reticle ever conceived.

H25_Huge-600x600.jpg
    </div></div>
    I'm in love! But does it come in an MOA/MOA version?

Hello new guy,

Use the custom search function to find what you are looking for. You will find the answers there.

The third pic H34, each ring is one furlong from the center. Make sure it's furlong/fulong so you won't get confused.

I'm not sure about the first pic it looks like furlong and chain measurments. The squiggle thingy under the middle hole looks like hand measurements. Those pointy things are for angle shooting.

Pretty much like a sfp scope with moa turrets and mil ret.
    Hope this helps.
    grin.gif

I'm sure someone with more know how will chime in.

Market Garden, your proprietary reticle reminds me A LITTLE of the CounterSniper one in the picture where that rapper is saying "Yo Dawg, now you can range, while you range!" Great concept dude, I love it.

H25_Huge-600x600.jpg
    </div></div>

It could be a game changer, but what if you have to shoot a perp at 1,000m while rappeling upside down off a building? Might want to fix that flaw in your design.

Well, without a Horus type reticle you have two options when correcting for wind and elevation. Try to hold out in "space" where there are no reference lines or adjust your elevation and or windage knobs to compensate for distance and wind. Has anyone ever input the wrong amount of adjustment? Has anyone in fact ever put in the opposite adjustment?

No matter what reticle you use, the apptitude of the shooter ultimately decides where the bullet impacts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxShooter63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, without a Horus type reticle you have two options when correcting for wind and elevation. Try to hold out in "space" where there are no reference lines or adjust your elevation and or windage knobs to compensate for distance and wind. Has anyone ever input the wrong amount of adjustment? Has anyone in fact ever put in the opposite adjustment?

No matter what reticle you use, the apptitude of the shooter ultimately decides where the bullet impacts. </div></div>

Good post. I thing there is something to this Horus reticles. You just need to pick the right one for you. While there is some truth to them being busy and the post above are pretty good. I think people tend to immediately discount something that requires out of the box thinking. I know I do, I really like to keep my thinking confined to a very small box... Very small... Like the size of the box I have my wife her engagement ring in. Super small... The ring that is. Well and the box it came in too.

I haven't seen the video, and while I hear that its full of hockey crap, I am seeing some good things come out of it when read a lot of posts on various boards. It is actually helping a lot of people to understand FFP in general, to understand the concept of using the reticle to measure misses or using it to hold for wind, elevation or target lead. Its opening their eyes to the the idea that you don't have to think about inches or centimeters when you use an FFP scope.

Seeing how something is done sometimes is often easier to register than reading about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxShooter63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, without a Horus type reticle you have two options when correcting for wind and elevation. Try to hold out in "space" where there are no reference lines or adjust your elevation and or windage knobs to compensate for distance and wind. Has anyone ever input the wrong amount of adjustment? Has anyone in fact ever put in the opposite adjustment?

No matter what reticle you use, the apptitude of the shooter ultimately decides where the bullet impacts. </div></div>

Try holding out in space ? seriously, people do it every single day, even with a P3 reticle, the values extend down, & across, you simply visualize it. They are hitting sub moa targets, multiple targets, including a moving target with a standard mil dot reticle all the time. The Horus is hardly necessary and this discussion was debated back in the early 2000s, its a repeat bringing it up again simply because more people are being introduced to it. The tactical competitions of the time, 2001-2004 had "team horus" shooters doing and guys, following with a standard reticle.

the idea it is space around a mil dot reticle without "dots, or lines" is simply a training issue. If you haven't; been shown how, then you can't possibly know. But the value extends, how you use it, is simply a matter of brain power I suppose, if you need your hand held, I suppose the Horus great, I suppose if you can't line un the "space" under the 1 mil mark and the "space" across from a .5 of mil of elevation training wheels are the answer. But its really not that far away, most can see whether or not they are lined up.

I am happy to demonstrate using a standard reticle and doing everything a person with a horus can do. I hold wind, without dialing, I hold elevation, I hold combinations of both. Hold wind, elevation and engaging a mover... been there done that, got the t shirt in spades. If your on top of a mountain splashing the round into the ground the Horus is great, but put some vegetation around the target and you'll soon find it gets in the way and does very little good.

It's about training and not about lines... the aptitude of the shooter part is the only thing you got right. That said, anyone can be shown how to do it without a grid in their scope, in fact it is down every single week. The smart ones soon find the Horus is unnecessary and quickly opt for less reticle and a clearer field of view.

But I like the ATRAG and LaRue Mount. It's uber elite stuff!

H25_Huge-600x600.jpg
    </div></div>

I'd be willing to bet a a pound of pig shit to a pile of boubloons that you could market that reticle to a certain segment of the shooting population. Tell them that it's what the famous WW2 sniper used, or it's the reticle that the Navy SEALS use, or the one that Delta Force uses and you'd be good to go.

On another board we have new guys join up and the first question they ask is, "What kind of <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">flippers</span></span> do the Navy SEALS wear?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Market Garden, your proprietary reticle reminds me A LITTLE of the CounterSniper one in the picture where that rapper is saying "Yo Dawg, now you can range, while you range!" Great concept dude, I love it. </div></div>

tdrm1.jpg

Rifles, reticles, bi-pods, sand bags, ballistic computers, and I suppose those damn IPhones. All just tools designed to make long range shooting easier. There will never be a tool that trumps having good fundamentals and a thorough knowledge of your rifle and ammunition. We are lucky in this day and age to have allot of tools that theoretically make hitting your target easier.
    There is no one "best" anything as everyone's needs are different. If there were we wouldn't have an excuse to own so many different rifles, scopes, and the assortment of kit that goes with them.
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about those reticles, but I really hope Horus produces the reticle I designed for those situations where you have to hold your rifle sideways like I saw in the Magpul video. This is without question the most versatile reticle ever conceived.

H25_Huge-600x600.jpg
    </div></div>

I think this reticle design is not all it could be. I think there is a little space being wasted in about the 1 o'clock area. Back to the drawing board boys.</div></div>

I totally agree. I mean, seriously, they completely forgot to take into account when you have to shoot with the gun turned completely upsidedown. People these days....

Thanks SWFA, that's the one. I've got it saved on my computer at home, but here at work, I must defer to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spaceman_Spiff</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know about those reticles, but I really hope Horus produces the reticle I designed for those situations where you have to hold your rifle sideways like I saw in the Magpul video. This is without question the most versatile reticle ever conceived.

H25_Huge-600x600.jpg
    </div></div>

I think this reticle design is not all it could be. I think there is a little space being wasted in about the 1 o'clock area. Back to the drawing board boys.</div></div>

I totally agree. I mean, seriously, they completely forgot to take into account when you have to shoot with the gun turned completely upsidedown. People these days.... </div></div>

Lord help, Spaceman . . .
    Don't give any of those cyber ceals any ammo for new videos!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would think people would just see the humor in this post, chuckle, and move on.</div></div>

I'd be more inclined to see the bullshit in it
    laugh.gif
    and perhaps, just a tad bit of professional jealousy, but, hey, I'm not so smart
    smile.gif
    so I don't know what the "illuminati" in this discipline know.

that said, there ain't nuthin' to be learned on this thread, that's for sure.

I'm too afraid to post here about Horus reticles. The last time I said something negative about a Horus reticle my secretary received a call from someone saying he was 'from SOTG'. He told her to give me the message that I better watch my mouth on the internet because he is watching me.

...true story (except for the being afraid part).

BTW - I 'hold out in space' all the time and it works just fine. I even did it with my Horus because my misses were not always below the crosshair.

The Horus allows you to shoot thru grass, brush, and tree lines......

Horrus reminds me of the VFW Bingo Night when I was still a Knee hugger.

B4...... any Body got,,,,, B4 ?

<span style="font-size: 20pt">BINGO!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would think people would just see the humor in this post, chuckle, and move on.</div></div>

laugh.gif
    and perhaps, just a tad bit of professional jealousy, but, hey, I'm not so smart
    smile.gif

that said, there ain't nuthin' to be learned on this thread, that's for sure. </div></div>

It's something, lowlight has been hating on the Horus for what seems like years... definitely some bad blood somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... definitely some bad blood somewhere. </div></div>Frank built this site, and his reputation, from humble beginnings so he's chafing a bit. Part of it is likely a personality conflict in the wake of the new Magpul video: Steal a man's ideas and you eat for a day; but adopt them as your own and you eat forever.

... that is, after you have secured a rich benefactor.
    grin.gif

So the information contained in the "MP" videos was stolen from the owner of SH. I did not know that....Frank has every right to be chafed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... definitely some bad blood somewhere. </div></div>Frank built this site, and his reputation, from humble beginnings so he's chafing a bit. Part of it is likely a personality conflict in the wake of the new Magpul video: Steal a man's ideas and you eat for a day; but adopt them as your own and you eat forever.

... that is, after you have secured a rich benefactor.
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would think people would just see the humor in this post, chuckle, and move on.</div></div>

laugh.gif
    smile.gif

that said, there ain't nuthin' to be learned on this thread, that's for sure. </div></div>

It's something, lowlight has been hating on the Horus for what seems like years... definitely some bad blood somewhere. </div></div>

I don't blame LL for being pissed with Horus. IIRC they never sent back a item he sent in for repair. I'd be livid about it myself as well. Apparently there's a long list of folks that have a had a bad experience with Horus CS. If I wasn't addicted to their reticle system I'd be buying else ware because of their rep alone.

Although I agree that anyone can use a modern mil reticle to holdover/holdoff with success. I definitely prefer Horus reticles to do so. I can personally attest that a match can be won holding over/off with a Horus reticle.

Well, that's excellent background info I didn't know about and it helps me to understand what's going on. I can only speak for myself, however, and that is I've had nothing but good experience with HV's CS. Of course, I've never had to send anything back to them either
    laugh.gif
    I've shot really well with the H-37 on an M40A3, and equally well on an IOR scope with an MP-8 reticle w/o BDC as I recall.

I've gotten the MP videos - I'm part of the way through the second CD right now. When I've got a break over the weekend - I'm on it now for another 10' before I gotta go back to work - I'll continue to watch the MP videos to see if they are worth it to me from an instructional point of view. I know that Frank has what appears to be an exceptionally comprehensive listing of instructional materials, so getting to those will be my next step. Back now to work
    frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColoWyo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would think people would just see the humor in this post, chuckle, and move on.</div></div>

laugh.gif
    smile.gif

It's something, lowlight has been hating on the Horus for what seems like years... definitely some bad blood somewhere.</div></div>

I dont think its bad blood. More like a company trying to replace experience with gimmick. Someone said its like looking through flyscreen and thats just what it is. There is so much more to focus on besides what grid you missed your shot in. You can accomplish the exact same thing with a mil/mil scope and actually see the rest of the target environment. The only thing missing after hitting a target with a Horus reticle is someone on the target side yelling out "you sunk my battleship".

Time out,

Nothing was "stolen" from me in the videos... the Magpul stuff stands on it's own and I have zero issue with anyone from Magpul. This has nothing to do with the videos at all. Zero. So let's get that straight from the start.

It is true I have been very consistent in my dislike for the horus reticle. I was introduced to Horus back in 2002 by John Sr, of US Optics. I was not a fan of it then and i am not a fan of it now. Back then, the model was to use "Team Horus" shooters to go around to competitions and offer cash prize money from Horus. Heck I even won $1000 of their money. Certain events had side matches that were designed to highlight the horus reticle and in 9 out of 10 side matches the horus guys won. But it was designed that way, and they practiced.

At the time Rifles Only was the training group used by Horus. When I started working at Rifles Only I tempered any criticism of the system because they still had a personal relationship with Horus. At Rifles Only I was introduced to their early software program and for many years I used it religiously. Until programs like FFS came around the Horus ATRAG as my go to program. Today there are a lot of ballistic calculators on the market and each one has it's pros and cons, I have since stopped using the Horus.

It is also True that i had a defective ATRAG MX chip and they basically ignored every plea to fix or replace it. I called, left messages, wrote, and not once did I get a return call. The chip is here worthless in my desk drawer. Tales of poor CS are littered all over the internet. To the individual, their CS is considered by many the worst in the business.

Along with that, I was also present at one of the last classes taught by RO for Horus. There were issues with that, and I suggest people look at who works there if they want to know where some of the distrust comes from. Ask McMillan about the Horus employee, troubling especially in a small industry.

Over the years, from about 2005 to 2009 most of the discussion about the reticle was off the radar. The tactical competition circuit did not embrace it and Horus went in another direction hiring a salesman to focus on the military. The push was in a word, relentless.

It is said of some people, "He can sell ice to an eskimo" and in my mind that sums up what you see today. Because really that is all that changed, the face selling the product, not so much the product itself. Saying a person can sell ice to an eskimo, in my opinion underlines a certain quality, and I don't want to go as far as saying dishonest, but ask yourself what would you have to say to convince an eskimo he needs ice ? Certainly you'll be friendly, but i suspect it goes much deeper. But keep this in mind, the ice to an eskimo visual.

Are there other things, sure, the lawsuits presented by Horus don't sit well. They were smart patenting it, and unfortunately nobody was on the ball enough to cite prior art... like the spider web reticles you see above. Or the fact any mil based reticle is a hold over reticle. if people knew the pressure they put on companies in the industry I would suspect a few of your opinions would change. Many industry players look at it as making a deal with the devil. A necessary evil because the horus machine has managed to position itself in place where they have to include the reticle. They don't' like it, but would never say it out loud, especially in mixed company.

There are lot of elements that have been "borrowed" and there are lot of common sense things coveted as IP, but hey if you can sell it, who am I to say otherwise. But it goes to the point of everyone knowing that 2 + 2 = 4, however if you claim "4" as IP because you showed group that 3+1=4, well I think that is a bit dishonest.

But nobody took anything from me, and my history with them goes back quite a way, much of which may never be spoken about again. For years out of respect for others I said very little, and when things like this pop up, I caught a certain amount of flak for speaking of the past out loud. Today I don't have those attachments, so I am less concerned.

Use whatever system you like, support any company you want. We have freedom of choice an I am not one to question your choice, unless of course if you try to "sell" me on it, or you extol the exploits that were designed to promote and sell the product. Your choice, but don't piss on my leg and say, you heard the golden water was the best thing out there, it's bright, warm and magical. Sorry, piss on your own leg, and expect me too tell you so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxShooter63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the information contained in the "MP" videos was stolen from the owner of SH. I did not know that....Frank has every right to be chafed.</div></div>That's not what I meant. Although for the video Todd did borrow some of what Frank and Jacob (at Rifles Only) teach, but to me it looks like he is presenting it either improperly or as incomplete.

80 - 40 - 20

The instructor can successfully deliver 80% of the material to the student. The student will absorb 40% of what is being taught and after can relate 20% of the information successfully to others.

The "borrowed" part, which was perfected by Jacob at Rifles Only is only about 20% correct, and if you follow the instruction as presented in the video you will definitely fall short.

But that was not borrowed from me. I was a student of that, like many others.

I'm not into the Horus debate, but when it comes to the sales staff, keep this in mind. There is good salesmen, that beleave in the product, understand it and like it. These ones are the true prevayors of ice. Then there is the guys who just like the sale and the making of a bucks. Im in the sales field and I love the product line I move. The hard part as a customer or a client is, what kind of salesman do I have in front of me.

As to Horus, it's never been explained to me how to use it, but I would think there is easier ways to "skin the cat"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not into the Horus debate, but when it comes to the sales staff, keep this in mind. There is good salesmen, that beleave in the product, understand it and like it. These ones are the true prevayors of ice. Then there is the guys who just like the sale and the making of a bucks. Im in the sales field and I love the product line I move. The hard part as a customer or a client is, what kind of salesman do I have in front of me.

As to Horus, it's never been explained to me how to use it, but I would think there is easier ways to "skin the cat" </div></div>

I can give you a perfect example in that, actually there are more than one examples, but I was asked to not repeat the latest from SHOT, so here is different but similar example.

<span style="font-style: italic">The FDAC vs the A1 Whiz Wheel </span>

Former Marines created the FDAC using Density Altitude, a simple slide rule type design very similar to the Mil Dot Master most of us are familiar with.

sliderulepic2.jpg

Shortly after, A1st came out with the Whiz Wheel which uses a similar DA method to get a ballistic solution. Now forget the fact a lot of people use DA from pilots to shooters, and actually the one to promote it sooner than most commercially was David Tubb. For a while he was producing custom DA cards, to include being used by SEALs. DA is pretty simple and combines Barometric Pressure, Temp, and Humidity to give you one number instead of having to use all 3.

A 1st Model
    P5300002.jpg

Now the sales pitch is the Whiz Wheel, being propriety, read: Intellectual property that is unique, etc, etc. That's great, except years before we saw this product on the line from the UK:
    image007.jpg

http://www.globalsecuritymarketing.com/tas_system

it pre-dates the whiz wheel, but since it's overseas, no patent issues to contend with, so the only real competition here in the US, the FDAC. How does this team address this:

You can go head to head with them, or you can simply use the network of influence you developed to tell people in the military they (FDAC) are infringing on your idea and in order to not by sued, you made them use "the wrong math" and trust me I have heard this first hand, and will not drop names. This is the type of business practices that bother me.

The wrong math... So like wild fire though the military establishment thanks to friends in high places, the assault against the FDAC starts based on this idea that the trajectory of a bullet based off of DA is propriety information, with ownership going back to A1st.

Hence my further dislike ...

I've heard that Adaptive used the "wrong math" to develop their cards too and yet I can still get first round hits using only their cards. Just a couple weeks ago I got a first round hit at 730 yards with 175's going 2700 fps using the 2700 fps slide and calculated my DA using their chart. When I ran out that ammo I started using some ammo I had loaded up that had a MV of 2600 fps so I switched to the 2600 fps slide and wouldn't you know it...a first round hit again at 730. I've wanted to try out the Whiz Wheel and compare it to the FDAC but I just can't bring myself to do it. Taylor and the guys at Adaptive are solid, no BS dudes and I'll continue to use their products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard that Adaptive used the "wrong math" to develop their cards too and yet I can still get first round hits using only their cards. Just a couple weeks ago I got a first round hit at 730 yards with 175's going 2700 fps using the 2700 fps slide and calculated my DA using their chart. When I ran out that ammo I started using some ammo I had loaded up that had a MV of 2600 fps so I switched to the 2600 fps slide and wouldn't you know it...a first round hit again at 730. I've wanted to try out the Whiz Wheel and compare it to the FDAC but I just can't bring myself to do it. Taylor and the guys at Adaptive are solid, no BS dudes and I'll continue to use their products.
    </div></div>

I know amazing isn't it, I had that same phenomenon with the 170gn lapua loads, maybe they had a pure stroke of luck with the load compatability matrix.... Or maybe not. Believe the bullet, the bullet is the truth... Haha

JJ

After reading this page, i placed a order for a FDAC from adaptive. Really looking forward to getting it. Simple and accurate. Can not get any better than that

H25_Huge-600x600.jpg
    </div></div>

Holy shit! can I get one of those in a 4-49x50?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not into the Horus debate, but when it comes to the sales staff, keep this in mind. There is good salesmen, that beleave in the product, understand it and like it. These ones are the true prevayors of ice. Then there is the guys who just like the sale and the making of a bucks. Im in the sales field and I love the product line I move. The hard part as a customer or a client is, what kind of salesman do I have in front of me.

As to Horus, it's never been explained to me how to use it, but I would think there is easier ways to "skin the cat" </div></div>

I can give you a perfect example in that, actually there are more than one examples, but I was asked to not repeat the latest from SHOT, so here is different but similar example.

<span style="font-style: italic">The FDAC vs the A1 Whiz Wheel </span>

Former Marines created the FDAC using Density Altitude, a simple slide rule type design very similar to the Mil Dot Master most of us are familiar with.

sliderulepic2.jpg

Shortly after, A1st came out with the Whiz Wheel which uses a similar DA method to get a ballistic solution. Now forget the fact a lot of people use DA from pilots to shooters, and actually the one to promote it sooner than most commercially was David Tubb. For a while he was producing custom DA cards, to include being used by SEALs. DA is pretty simple and combines Barometric Pressure, Temp, and Humidity to give you one number instead of having to use all 3.

A 1st Model
    P5300002.jpg

Now the sales pitch is the Whiz Wheel, being propriety, read: Intellectual property that is unique, etc, etc. That's great, except years before we saw this product on the line from the UK:
    image007.jpg

http://www.globalsecuritymarketing.com/tas_system

it pre-dates the whiz wheel, but since it's overseas, no patent issues to contend with, so the only real competition here in the US, the FDAC. How does this team address this:

You can go head to head with them, or you can simply use the network of influence you developed to tell people in the military they (FDAC) are infringing on your idea and in order to not by sued, you made them use "the wrong math" and trust me I have heard this first hand, and will not drop names. This is the type of business practices that bother me.

The wrong math... So like wild fire though the military establishment thanks to friends in high places, the assault against the FDAC starts based on this idea that the trajectory of a bullet based off of DA is propriety information, with ownership going back to A1st.

Hence my further dislike ... </div></div>

Um, so if the "math" is not accurate, how does the bullet um, like...hit the target and stuff?

The first time that I heard we stole, copied, ect the "math" used in the FDAC I knew we had hit a home run. We came up with the FDAC on a dry erase board one morning while drinking coffee at our office. I then made a cheesy one out of paper and plastic and we kept screwing around with it until we had it just the way we wanted it. Then I found a manufacturer, and had a prototype made. This was in early 2009.

Once it was released the drama started, and EVERY BIT OF IT was priceless comedy. The notion that two former Marine Scout Snipers would blatantly compromise their honor, credibility, etc by ripping off something from someone else is laughable. It truly points to the fact that there exists a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means to have been a Marine and carried the bolt gun in battle.

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Here's to those that fight for a living:</span></span>

If you're in a Scout Sniper platoon, or a sniper unit, etc, contact us via a .mil email address and we'll outfit your unit with (1) FDAC per precision rifle in your platoon/unit/team <span style="font-weight: bold">FOR FREE.</span> This applies to actual military snipers that are currently serving in a sniper/designated marksman billet.

Oh and the invitation to sit down and talk with Todd has been open for about two years. Sit down, have a beer, and just talk about it. Todd, stop and talk to us next time you're in Northern Virginia. We're not thieves, liars, or cheaters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm too afraid to post here about Horus reticles. The last time I said something negative about a Horus reticle my secretary received a call from someone saying he was 'from SOTG'. He told her to give me the message that I better watch my mouth on the internet because he is watching me.

...true story (except for the being afraid part).

BTW - I 'hold out in space' all the time and it works just fine. I even did it with my Horus because my misses were not always below the crosshair. </div></div>

I got jumped on for saying something about a Horus reticle on facebook by a guy that calls himself "danger" because I said they were busy, hard to focus on any hold, and covers up too much FOV. I've never heard a chest thumped so hard.