• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help identifying R700 bolt for M40A5 build

Nate87

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2020
CA
Greeting! New guy here. Sorry if this is the wrong section. Been lurking for a long time and finally made an account. I'm in the process of gathering parts for an M40A5 and one of them being a new bolt I got off of ebay. Ad said it was a new bolt purchased in an estate sale. Once it came in I noticed differences from my current bolt. I've done hours of searching but can't pin down a specific time period or info on this kind of bolt. It looks newer than the 60-70's bolts but older than the current bolt I have. I'd like to figure out if it'll suit a clone A5 based on production date of my G prefix receiver and if not, offer it to someone who could use it for one of their builds. Here is what I have so far and photos of the bolt in question.

Parts
full

Replacement bolt is the new looking one and worn one is my factory bolt. A few things I noticed right away was the checkering of the ball end on the handle, the neck before the ball is more narrow, no stamp on the underside of the bolt handle. Some sort of relief cut on the underside of the bolt handle on the bolt body. And lastly, the last four of the SN are hand engraved and very faint. The bolt looks very new but unsure if it was every recoated.
full

full

full

full

full

Last 4 are 9972. Can't be seen unless you take a light to it.
full

Thanks in advance.

Nate

I’d say it’s probably from the mid 1980s or older. It looks like it was refinished because it’s parkerized. Remington used several different handles so it’ll be difficult to find when it was made. My r700 varmint synthetic is from 1994 and it’s last 4 are laser etched in the Parkerized jeweled bolt. My 89’ adl had a hand etched blued jeweled bolt. I’d definitely use it but I’d have the new actions last 4 etched over the old ones so it’ll never get mixed up or look like a parts gun. When you get the action clip slotted for the rail I’d get the bolt face and action squared up and lap the lugs too. Great start post pics when you get her done. Good Luck with your build 👍

I’d say it’s probably from the mid 1980s or older. It looks like it was refinished because it’s parkerized. Remington used several different handles so it’ll be difficult to find when it was made. My r700 varmint synthetic is from 1994 and it’s last 4 are laser etched in the Parkerized jeweled bolt. My 89’ adl had a hand etched blued jeweled bolt. I’d definitely use it but I’d have the new actions last 4 etched over the old ones so it’ll never get mixed up or look like a parts gun. When you get the action clip slotted for the rail I’d get the bolt face and action squared up and lap the lugs too. Great start post pics when you get her done. Good Luck with your build 👍
Thanks for the response. Do both of your 89 and 94 bolts have that relief cut under the bolt handle? Any idea what it’s for?

Thanks for the response. Do both of your 89 and 94 bolts have that relief cut under the bolt handle? Any idea what it’s for?

The extra cut under the bolt was for the older two armed safety levers that extended up through the receiver bottom to stop the bolt rotation when the safety was on.

The new (old) bolt has definitely been refinished and possibly has a newer model bolt shroud and cocking piece on it.
You didn't show the bolt face but some of the older bolts also had riveted extractors instead of the snap in style used on 0.473" bolt faces now.

./

I'm currently in the same boat having collected all of the parts necessary for a M40A5 clone build. The action I chose was from a E-series R700 ADL in .243 Winchester which I believe was produced sometime between 1999 and 2001 based on the lack of a barrel stamp code. The bolt it came with can be seen here and compared to a bolt from a new production "RR" receiver. I did however replace the old J-Lock Remington bolt with a new production firing pin assembly.

Does this look good to go for a spec-build M40A5 clone or would you find another bolt? New production on the top, old on the bottom.

1594762838375.png

New production on the top, old on the bottom. Note the enlarged and chamfered through hole (drain hole?) between the lugs.

1594762924270.png

New production on the top, old on the bottom. Note the different anti-bind cuts on the lug action rail guide.

1594763081741.png

New production on the top, old on the bottom. Bolt handle stampings:

1594763104094.png

I'm currently in the same boat having collected all of the parts necessary for a M40A5 clone build. The action I chose was from a E-series R700 ADL in .243 Winchester which I believe was produced sometime between 1999 and 2001 based on the lack of a barrel stamp code. The bolt it came with can be seen here and compared to a bolt from a new production "RR" receiver. I did however replace the old J-Lock Remington bolt with a new production firing pin assembly.

Does this look good to go for a spec-build M40A5 clone or would you find another bolt? New production on the top, old on the bottom.

View attachment 7374469

New production on the top, old on the bottom. Note the enlarged and chamfered through hole (drain hole?) between the lugs.

View attachment 7374470

New production on the top, old on the bottom. Note the different anti-bind cuts on the lug action rail guide.

View attachment 7374474

New production on the top, old on the bottom. Bolt handle stampings:

View attachment 7374475
Either of those look good to me. For mine, the old one has a different shape handle and ball which is different than what was used at the time. I ended up using the old bolt anyways for the build since it was much smoother when cycling. I'll swap the handle out down the line and get the last 4 re stamped on it.

Took it out for the first time on the Marine Corps birthday to sight in. This thing is a damn laser! So stoked to finally have an A5. Just need a few more minor details to make it 100% but it'll get there.

IMG_0991.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG

Took it out for the first time on the Marine Corps birthday to sight in. This thing is a damn laser! So stoked to finally have an A5. Just need a few more minor details to make it 100% but it'll get there.

View attachment 7472492View attachment 7472494View attachment 7472498
Looks amazing. If you find a source for the issued rear scope cap or ARD please let me know. Still need those for the deployment kit I'm building. Happy to share as well if I can locate them.

Looks amazing. If you find a source for the issued rear scope cap or ARD please let me know. Still need those for the deployment kit I'm building. Happy to share as well if I can locate them.
I have an ARD killFlash with an NSN I got 10+ years ago for the 50mm S&B. I don’t know if there were different ones issued but I’ll dig it up to see if it is the right one. If I remember correctly it was a standard item I found online.

Would you be able to post your deployment case photos? I need to get one going to.

@kydron
This is the one I have. Not sure if it's the kind you're looking for but I got it from US Tactical Supply about a decade ago. Might want to give them a try.
IMG_1305.JPG

Reactions: kydron
@kydron
This is the one I have. Not sure if it's the kind you're looking for but I got it from US Tactical Supply about a decade ago. Might want to give them a try.
View attachment 7591038
I was able to confirm that US Tactical Supply does not have this version any longer. The updated 50SBC0-ARD model is listed on the same NSN but the printed markings are different and they no longer have the knurled ring around the rear of the ARD.