• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help in Design.

THUNDERBOLT68

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2009
TEXAS
I am going to be offering Storm, Pelican Cases with custom foam cut outs.
I am also going to offer custom foam cut outs for guys with cases already.

Please give me pictures of your cases

I will need AI AW, AI AX, DTA, A5 Mcmillan, These will be the first models available.

Re: Need help in Design.

Sendero, I did not see any Rifles on that sight.

here is the DTA case.

What would you change ????

IMG_3372.jpg

here is the foam cut out for the Mcmillan A5 family guys.

IMG_3665.jpg

I was thinking that. Can someone with a TRG post some pictures of their case so I can get a good idea how to lay it out.

I'll try to get some ideas to you tonight, I've got a few.

Like #1 - you don't need 6 mag spots in the AX case, 4 is plenty.

For people who travel or got small cars an ae or aw cut for it stored folded. It would allow people to use the smaller cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Napsters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For people who travel or got small cars an ae or aw cut for it stored folded. It would allow people to use the smaller cases.</div></div>

This +100

I've been trying to figure out a case design for this kind of thing myself. A shorter, fatter case to allow the rifle to be stored folded. The problem is finding the case thick enough to allow for some padding on the top.

I'd buy one for sure, and I haven'd even bought my folder yet! Hell I'd buy the case and get a folder just to fit it.
smile.gif

This is such a great idea. I wish my cut outs looked that nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Napsters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For people who travel or got small cars an ae or aw cut for it stored folded. It would allow people to use the smaller cases. </div></div>

I have one already for that It works great. I am also interested in lay outs.

Just my 2 cents, not meant to be inflammatory,

Your cut work isn't clean enough, not tight enough, it just doesn't follow the lines close enough to be really something that I would consider any better than good quality "pick" foam capable. There are allot of us out there that have been cutting cases for years and after a while, with either a skilled blade cut or hot wire table, the goal isn't just getting "close" but getting it perfect. Lay out is important (optics), but that is just the beginning with true custom cut. Some example, 1) Your AI case..what is going to happen if that case was drapped on the barrel edge? Not good things as the forearm is slopped and you have cut the receiver and rear stock so sloppy that the barel will thrust forward on the muzzle. The most important "flat-to-flat" support was right infront of the bipod...and you missed it. 2) On your McM set-up, you have to flip your bolt over, as there should be no "points" (in this case you handle) that can run into your barrel, only "flats to flats." DTA case? No optics ever pointing down to the hinge side as you have loaded all the weight to the edge where all the impact is. I have even learned to chase the corners with a special temp set heat gun to "round out" the corners. Anyway, you asked and I am just one opinion.

One basically has a choice with custom interiors, kinda close, blocky and sloppy or laid out specifically for your own rig and all the "stuff." To my eyes, you are in the prior.

Search the web for pics and techniques. There are literally 1,000s of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my 2 cents, not meant to be inflammatory,

Your cut work isn't clean enough, not tight enough, it just doesn't follow the lines close enough to be really something that I would consider any better than good quality "pick" foam capable. There are allot of us out there that have been cutting cases for years and after a while, with either a skilled blade cut or hot wire table, the goal isn't just getting "close" but getting it perfect. Lay out is important (optics), but that is just the beginning with true custom cut. Some example, 1) Your AI case..what is going to happen if that case was drapped on the barrel edge? Not good things as the forearm is slopped and you have cut the receiver and rear stock so sloppy that the barel will thrust forward on the muzzle. The most important "flat-to-flat" support was right infront of the bipod...and you missed it. 2) On your McM set-up, you have to flip your bolt over, as there should be no "points" (in this case you handle) that can run into your barrel, only "flats to flats." DTA case? No optics ever pointing down to the hinge side as you have loaded all the weight to the edge where all the impact is. I have even learned to chase the corners with a special temp set heat gun to "round out" the corners. Anyway, you asked and I am just one opinion.

One basically has a choice with custom interiors, kinda close, blocky and sloppy or laid out specifically for your own rig and all the "stuff." To my eyes, you are in the prior.

</div></div>

Great comments thanks.

All these cases were done about 2 years ago. Except DTA ( this is their case no mods yet )

I am designing the cases on Monday. I will pay attention to your comments.

Please if anyone else has any comments let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just my 2 cents, not meant to be inflammatory,

Your cut work isn't clean enough, not tight enough, it just doesn't follow the lines close enough to be really something that I would consider any better than good quality "pick" foam capable. There are allot of us out there that have been cutting cases for years and after a while, with either a skilled blade cut or hot wire table, the goal isn't just getting "close" but getting it perfect. Lay out is important (optics), but that is just the beginning with true custom cut. Some example, 1) <span style="color: #CC0000">Your AI case..what is going to happen if that case was drapped on the barrel edge? Not good things as the forearm is slopped and you have cut the receiver and rear stock so sloppy that the barel will thrust forward on the muzzle</span>. The most important "flat-to-flat" support was right infront of the bipod...and you missed it. 2) <span style="color: #3333FF">On your McM set-up, you have to flip your bolt over, as there should be no "points" (in this case you handle) that can run into your barrel, only "flats to flats."</span> <span style="color: #009900">DTA case? No optics ever pointing down to the hinge side as you have loaded all the weight to the edge where all the impact is</span>. I have even learned to chase the corners with a special temp set heat gun to "round out" the corners. Anyway, you asked and I am just one opinion.

</div></div>

<span style="color: #CC0000">Look at the rear stock and the pistol grip. If I drop it on the barrel the gun will not slide forward at all. </span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">This foam is not the flimsy pick and pull foam. It is a High quality close cell foam. Remember the case is closed and the egg foam carries protection also. The bolt will never leave it's compartment when the case is closed.</span>

<span style="color: #009900">The DTA case is the factory offering by DTA. I noticed the same thing...</span>

First, please make sure it is available for us Europeans.
In my opinion the case shoul have a tight fit to the rifle. So you should make a tight contact to the forarm and stock. The scope should be sitting in the air, so that no impact forces from a drop could be transmittet from the rifle to the scope and shift your zero.
You should have as much foam as possible to the case walls. And I don´t see the need for pack everything inside the case.
Only the rifle should be in there. No mags binos or whatsoever to come loose and rattle around.
And a case should carry a foldable rifle folded, this makes the transport easier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might also suggest a run for TRG's. They seem to be very popular among our members. </div></div>

i need pictures

I now have 36" cases for folder ax. they look incredible.

Here you go.

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-size: 17pt">36" CASE ( THIS IS 20" 338 LAPUA )</span></span>
IMG_3715.jpg

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-size: 17pt">44" CASE ( THIS IS 20" 338 LAPUA )</span>
</span>

IMG_3716.jpg

<span style="font-size: 17pt">THIS IS NOT THE FINAL CASE. It is close, but we found some areas we made better once we cut the foam. Feel free to give suggestions...</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THUNDERBOLT68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go.

IMG_3715.jpg

</div></div>

That is how I carry mine, that interior looks useful

I actually think you're doing a pretty good job. The lines look crisp, clean and sharp. I have my AR-10 in a Pelican case that I just kinda "tossed" the rifle in. By that I'm saying that I didn't cut anything out, just put everything on top of the foam. This looks much better and more "professional" for lack of a better term.

I will have cases in about two weeks.

I am just tweaking the designs right now....

Those foam packs look like a <span style="font-style: italic">quality</span> job to me
wink.gif