• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help on .22 selection

Anthony C

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2008
New York
I would like to get a bolt .22 to plink and even use in .22 tactical matches. Distances to 200yrds. I have narrowed to the following:
1. Savage dont know number its the heavy barrel with thumb hole
2. Savage skinny barrel no thumb whole

My preference is for a heavy barrel and NO thumbhole. Is there any significant accuracy difference in the 2 i mentioned. Can i rebarrel the skinny to a heavy if i want?

Any other rifel suggestions in the 200-350 price range. Actuallty the skinny barrel Savage is only 149.49.

Re: Need help on .22 selection

good selection with the savage. i like the idea of the heavy barrel for accuracy and stabilty. i have one on mine. although not mostly ideal for carrying for hunting or even off hand shooting, the heavy is a performance enhancement in most rifles, centerfire or rimfire.

the heavy barrel reduces the temporary "warp" and swelling on metal once heated, and reduces the amount of "whip" caused by recoil, or harmonic twisting. although the 22 doesn't have much of either, it doesn't hurt to have the benefits heavy barrel.

if the rifle your looking at doesn't have an accu trigger, doe yourself a favor and get one. i use a rifle basix.

also do yourself a favor before you mount a scope and get a egw or rimfire technologies 20 moa base, to ensure that you have enough verticle adjustment to reach 200 (the 22lr literally drops like a rock after 100 yards.

put good glass on it, there's alot of info here on the hide about that, do a search and you'll come to a conclusion on scopes. use decent quality rings.

if you don't plan to use a stationary base all the time, i suggest a harris 6"-9" bipod, or any of the knockoff's (rock mount / shooter's ridge / caldwell)

you can replace the barrel with a "skinny" barrel if you wish, but the upfront purchase with a heavy one is more economical.

My .22LR trainer is the basic barebones Mark IIF (the picture shows a heavy barrel and scope bases instead of the grooved receiver, post/notch irons, and slim barrel), with the black plastic stock and standard weight barrel. I bought it secondhand with a 6x fixed power scope roughly ten years ago and it has served yeoman duty for me and for many of our youth marksman program participants. Good enough for kids to shoot and earn NRA Smallbore Expert.

Don't waste your time/money on a .17 rimfire, the .22LR is best for this purpose.

I recently put an $80 Tasco VAR624X42M Varmint/Target MilDot scope onto it and it's good as gold for me. With some moderately decent standard velocity target ammo it's GTG at 50ft, 50Yd, and well beyond.

More than this is not needed.

Greg

I was skeptical of the thumbhole stock as I'd never had one and was somewhat put off by appearance. However, my Savage BTVS (I think the non-stainless version is simply the BTV) has really impressed me not only with its accuracy but with the comfort of the thumbhole stock. I'm still not wild about the cosmetics but it just plain works!

My serious match rifle is a Savage 10FP that's set up with a bunch of mods, primarily a McMillan A3 Tactical stock, and a 28" L-W .260 Rem barrel.

I am toying with the idea of cobbling together a relatively simple stock for my MKII, made from pine, that has ergonomics similar to my A3.

Nothing elegant or elaborate, just something that feels and functions reasonably similar to my .260 off the rest and rear bag.

They both already share identical Tasco 6-24 Mildot scopes.

Might give some thought to employing a barrel block or something functionally similar.

Greg

Guys,
Thank you for all the great info. I will most likley buy the Savage. The question is to buy the thin barrel (per Savage made for Dicks Sporting exclusivey) for $149.99 or buy the same rifle but heavy barrel as shown on the web site for 299.00. Decision time.

Another good & economical rifle is the Winchester Wildcat Target/Varmint model w/ the heavy barrel. I am going to try to get pics of mine posted tomorrow.

This is my Savage MKII FV. 1MOA groups @ 100 yds with CCI MiniMags with a flyer about 10% of the time. I haven't tried any good match ammo, but would like to whenever I can get my hands on some. I worked on the AccuTrigger & have a 2 lb pull now, & will do some more to try to get it down around 1 lb.

22target009jpg.jpg

22target008jpg.jpg

22target006jpg.jpg