• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help on my optic mounts for my AR 15

Maxlab

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
TX , San Antonio
Hello, I just purchased my first AR an RRA ATH. I'm about to purchase a VX-R Patrol 3x9 for it but not sure which mount to use. I have decided on ADM Recon which is cantilever or the ADM Recon S which is no cantilever. I'm not sure which would be better for me. Is having a cantilever better or not. This AR will be used for pig hunting from 50 yards upto 300 max. Please help.

Thanks

Re: Need help on my optic mounts for my AR 15

Having cantilever is better if combined with BUIS. If the scope becomes inoperable, you can quickly and easily remove it, flip up your BUIS, and be back in the game.

The need for a cantilever is more related to the eye relief of the scope and how you like to mount your scopes on the rifle (what's your head position on the stock). 3x9 scopes seem to provide less eye relief than 1x4 for example and may not need the cantilever (in fact a cantilever mount may interfere with a BUIS because of its position on the rail.) You might talk with the guys at Primary Arms. They know this issue and can provide you with a good price on a mount.

Thanks Guys, I ordered my scope and mounts today. I went with the ADM Recon S and 3x9 Patrol from Scott at Liberty Optics.

Not to hijack and since the op has ordered his glass and mount I too was wondering the same question with ADM. I won't be running back ups but most pics (85%) have the cantilever style. The glass I have waiting is the Vortex Midway and it has generous eye relief. Maybe the S style will work but then again everything I see uses the cantilever style.

I agree with you also. Most of what I have seen on here are running cantilever mounts. I'm not running any back up sights either. From talking to Scott at Liberty Optics I went with the non cantilever Recon S. He convinced me I would be fine with that setup and save a few bucks. He said he uses those same mounts and hasn't had any problems.

The guys that aren't running cantilever scope mounts on long scopes like the 3-9 mentioned aren't getting a proper cheekweld far up enough on the stock.

With the straight mount, you're going to have to put the VXR all the way up to the turrets, and your cheek is still going to be too far back.

Cantilever mounts have NOTHING to do with iron sights, their purpose is to give proper eye relief.

It doesn't matter that your scope has "generous eye relief" because it's not a problem of being too far, it's being too close.

May be more than what you are looking for but I have had good luck with the American Rifle Co stuff. You can get their mounts in 0, 20, 30 moa.

They have top notch stuff.

Would having an adjustable stock make a difference? It would move you farther or closer to the scope. I think I will be fine, I will let you know by next week when the scope will be installed. If not I will buy the cantilever mount for it, and keep the Recon S for a 1x4x 32 for it.

KSwift said it best: you need cantilever mounts for just about any scope you mount to an AR. It's an eye-relief issue. With a proper cheek weld, your nose will be pretty close to the charging handle and your eye will be way too close to the scope with standard mounts. Even with a cantilever mount, most folks are pushing their scope forward in the rings to provide more eye relief.