• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help picking first optic.....

amedeo1227

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
Thibodaux, LA
I finally convinced my buddy to buy a AR15 (Colt), and now he is having trouble picking an optic. He is looking for a good 2.5-10 or 3-9 for a max of $650. Nightforce and S&B are out of his price range, but he is looking real hard at the Nikon m223. I was looking for some input from the hide for a point in the right direction. I know there are a bunch of options in his budget that will give great results. He bought a NCstar (yeah i know), and it doesnt hold zero or have good glass, so now he is ready to make a better purchase. I told him the rule - buy once, cry once - but now he learned. Can anybody tell me their experiences or what you have learned. He is just looking to buy one, and I think $650 will be a good budget for a nice scope.

please help!

Re: Need help picking first optic.....

I have a Nikon M-223 on an AR and I like it. It is duplex reticle, and I have found it to be consistent and reliable.

I do not bang around and drop my rifles, I am very careful with them. I expect to come home with no more orifices than I left with, same goes for everyone I am with. I have no experience with dropping a rifle with this scope on it.

I do understand "Buy once Cry once", but unless he is beating the crap out of his rifle, it should serve him well enough.

You should have your buddy call Scott at Liberty optics. He is very helpful and I am sure he can answer any questions they may have

I bought the leupold vx-r patrol for my AR about a week ago. I havent had time to mount it and play with it, but i did try to suggest it. He seems kinda stuck on the nikon, i dont have any experience with them myself, but i know the leupold and the vortexs come highly recommended.

Tell your buddy to ditch the Nikon. Their selling point is on the BDC reticle. Unless he has the time and money to figure out the dope on any other load other than the one the BDC was designed for, good luck. The reticle design offers little for range estimation to boot.

For a great entry level optic and mount, my suggestion would be a Weaver Tactical 3-10x40 Mil/Mil(on sale at Midway for $299. SH has an extremely favorable review of them) and ADM Recon mount($165).

Your buddy can use the leftover $185 to buy a lot of match grade ammo.