• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help picking my first 7mm PRC rifle... Browning, Ruger, Bergara, other?

cunnerman

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2023
Black Hills, SD
I've got the long range itch and have really locked on to the 7mm PRC cartridge. I don't have any other long range rifles, aside from the AR308 some of you fine folks recently helped me troubleshoot. I somehow missed the 6.5 Creedmore rage as it was happening.

Based on my limited research, I've kind of narrowed it down to:
  • Browning Xbolt Speed
  • Ruger American Gen II (not yet released, coming Q1 2024)
  • Bergara Ridge B14

I'd like to stay below $1,000, which I know the Browning exceeds. But if it's really worth the added price, I'd consider it.

Are these good options for 7mm PRC?
My main goal is long range target shooting and the occassional hunt.
Should I be looking at other options?

Why 7 PRC?

Not an ideal long range steel target cartridge due to higher ammo cost and higher recoil. Less recoil is better for spotting impacts.

A 6 mm is probably ideal to 1,000 yds and 6.5 Creedmoor has been proven effective beyond 1,000 yds and is good for most big game hunting situations.

Reactions: cunnerman
Add tikka to the list as I believe they are going to chamber it soon. BUT..

I agree with newbie2020 that a 7prc isn't a great choice for target shooting. If you get something smaller/cheaper to shoot like a creedmoor, you WILL shoot it more and be a better shooter for it.

You can always get a 6.5prc/saum/wsm switch barrel for hunting later on down the road if you feel you need more stopping powah

If long-range means 1000-1760 yards I think it's a good option. I have a 6.5 creedmoor and it's decent out around the 1000, I have bought a 6.5prc which should give another couple of hundred yards but the 7 looks like a real sweet spot of flat shooting and best wind cutting for barrel life compared to the 6.5 with more mass and a lot more energy to kick up dirt further out, although many here will say go straight to 300 wm/PRC for that.

If you are serious about shooting that far I'd be tempted to skip the "factory long range" gun and just buy action, chassis and heavy longer barrel than what OEMs usually offer.

Yep, buy a Creedmoor that does the same thing and you’ll actually shoot. None of those rifles are going to be fun to shoot for much of a range session and if you’re looking at budget rifles you’re going to shit when it comes to feeding a 7 PRC.

For a shelf Rifle, I'd wait on a Tikka.

Brownings are wildly inconsistent, and the best aren't spectacular. Bergara quality is all over the place. New Ruger probably meh, but I'd still wait for Tikka.

Tikka in 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, or 7 PRC.

Personally I think you may be going about this the wrong way if this is your first long range rifle and your main purpose is long distance target shooting.
First, I think the 6.5 creed is a better choice unless you are planning to be consistently shooting over 1300+ yards...The 6.5creed will come with less recoil which will help you build proper shooting technique, makes it more enjoyable to shoot, makes it much easier for spotting impacts and LASTLY also allows for cheaper ammo.
If you're dead set on a 7PRC for long range I personally wouldn't go Browning, Bergara or Ruger...I hate to sound like a custom snob here, but I'd build a custom gun so you know that you're getting a solid build that will provide you consistent accuracy (as long as you do your part). I just feel like a production gun like the ones you listed and saying you want to shoot long range kind of contradict each other. In long range you want to eliminate variables and you need consistency. If you get a production gun that isn't performing you'll be chasing your tail wondering if it's you or the gun that isn't performing. If you buy custom, 99% of the time it will be the shooter that's causing the problem. For long distance you want something that you know will perform the way it's supposed to. If that's not something you're willing to do then a Tikka would be my choice above the ones you listed.

great questions cunnerman!

I too am in the market for 7PRC. My 6.5CM is good to 1400-1500 yds and have done 1 mile several times but it is not optimal. If you are going to be 1500yds are less, a 6.5CM can be optimal.

The challenge with 7PRC is its targeted towards the hunting crowd, thus in mostly light rifles. I’m going the opposite direction: heavy target rifle.

The rifles you list are all fairly light, thin barreled and hunting style stocks. The recoil is going to get your attention compared to a 6.5CM. First question would be do you want a hunting style stock or target style stock? Do you want a heavy target barrel or light hunting barrel?

I have shoot numerous times my buddies Browning Max LR in 7 PRC. Appears to be very accurate. I don’t care for the browning trigger and unfortunately aftermarket 2 stages are not available. The barrel also is a fluted sporter. The brake is excellent and he added a Gracoil recoil reduction system to further tame the recoil.

if Tikka released a 7 PRC I would be highly interested in one in a UPR.

Other good options are Bergara HMR or Wilderness Terrain (I have a 22-250 and 6.5CM, both are very accurate) and of course a Ruger Precision (if offered) if you dig AR style rifles.

My first 6.5CM was a Ruger American Predator. Those rifles flat out can shoot.

Another option that is Howa (which are excellent rifles) is releasing mid year a 7 PRC heavy barreled action then add a MDT Oryx or wait for B&C to offer the Target/Comp in Howa Long Action. Total setup around $1000.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: cunnerman
Why 7 PRC?

No reason in particular... just got sucked into the hype of it somewhat, and the guys at my local gun shop sold me on the idea that "it's designed for guys who really want to reach out long distance but can't be bothered with handloading; a box of factory 7PRC ammo and a half-decent optic will get you hitting steel out past a half-mile, no problem."

That really piqued my interested. Although I hadn't really considered the recoil component.

No reason in particular... just got sucked into the hype of it somewhat, and the guys at my local gun shop sold me on the idea that "it's designed for guys who really want to reach out long distance but can't be bothered with handloading; a box of factory 7PRC ammo and a half-decent optic will get you hitting steel out past a half-mile, no problem."

That really piqued my interested. Although I hadn't really considered the recoil component.

Of course the local gun shop that makes money off of selling guns and ammo and probably aren’t long range shooters are going to talk you into a rifle that shoots more expensive ammo and you’ll most likely end up replacing with another rifle or buying a second when you realize how terrible of a choice it is for a general LR round.

It’s a LR hunting rounds and an ELR round. Unless you’re regularly shooting beyond 1200 yards. You can shoot effectively at a half mile with a 223, 308, 6 ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6 creed, or 6.5 creed without issues all of which have factory ammo. I’d even doubt with a comment like that they’ve ever shot past 100 yards. I would ignore anything they have to say.

Reactions: R_A_W
great questions cunnerman!

I too am in the market for 7PRC. My 6.5CM is good to 1400-1500 yds and have done 1 mile several times but it is not optimal. If you are going to be 1500yds are less, a 6.5CM can be optimal.

The challenge with 7PRC is its targeted towards the hunting crowd, thus in mostly light rifles. I’m going the opposite direction: heavy target rifle.

The rifles you list are all fairly light, thin barreled and hunting style stocks. The recoil is going to get your attention compared to a 6.5CM. First question would be do you want a hunting style stock or target style stock? Do you want a heavy target barrel or light hunting barrel?

I have shoot numerous times my buddies Browning Max LR in 7 PRC. Appears to be very accurate. I don’t care for the browning trigger and unfortunately aftermarket 2 stages are not available. The barrel also is a fluted sporter. The brake is excellent and he added a Gracoil recoil reduction system to further tame the recoil.

if Tikka released a 7 PRC I would be highly interested in one in a UPR.

Other good options are Bergara HMR or Wilderness Terrain (I have a 22-250 and 6.5CM, both are very accurate) and of course a Ruger Precision (if offered) if you dig AR style rifles.

Another option that is Howa (which are excellent rifles) is releasing mid year a 7 PRC heavy barreled action then add a MDT Oryx or wait for B&C to offer the Target/Comp in Howa Long Action. Total setup around $1000.

Hope this helps

Thanks for this detailed response.

Based on the comments in here I'm now reconsidering the 6.5CM... and the Ruger American was the line that had really caught my eye before I was swayed by the 7PRC. I think I need to revisit it... and perhaps hold out for the Gen II in 6.5!

Reactions: LReece

Bingo Bango… look what followed me home!

Ruger American Predator FDE in 6.5CM…

CCE5922A-1ECF-4B2D-B8AA-46D82D97C290.jpeg

Now for some optics, sling, a new bolt shroud, M Carbo trigger spring, and bipod!

Might throw a Boyd’s stock and AICS kit on it down the road, but unlikely given the price point (not worth throwing much more money at it).

Reactions: Heretic
I've got the long range itch and have really locked on to the 7mm PRC cartridge. I don't have any other long range rifles, aside from the AR308 some of you fine folks recently helped me troubleshoot. I somehow missed the 6.5 Creedmore rage as it was happening.

Based on my limited research, I've kind of narrowed it down to:
  • Browning Xbolt Speed
  • Ruger American Gen II (not yet released, coming Q1 2024)
  • Bergara Ridge B14

I'd like to stay below $1,000, which I know the Browning exceeds. But if it's really worth the added price, I'd consider it.

Are these good options for 7mm PRC?
Should I be looking at other options?
Sportsman's Warehouse has X-bolt rifles on sale for $850 right now