• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help picking the right scope!

toe42

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2012
I am new to this forum and this actually my first post. I need help choosing the right optic for my rifle.

I am currently having built a R700 short action .308 with a christensen Arms Carbon fiber barrel mounted on a Mcmillian M40-a1 Stock. I am having this gun trued Also.

My budget is $2k.... I know nightforce is a great optic but i have also heard the new Vortex Razor Hd is nice to. Besides S&B,
Are there any more scopes i am missing in this price range that you guys could recomend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need help picking the right scope!

@Outlawten5 Which USO do you recommend?

Toe, SN3. Contact Lazy21 here on the Hide. Tell him what you want and your budget and I'm sure he can come up with something for you!

The Razor is really nice and right at your price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Toe, SN3. Contact Lazy21 here on the Hide. Tell him what you want and your budget and I'm sure he can come up with something for you!

The Razor is really nice and right at your price point.</div></div>

Thanks Bro! Toe, I sent you a pm

IOR Valdada is worth a look as well, Fantastic Glass and pretty well priced!

With a budget of $2K, you actually have a lot to choose from, especially if you include the used market.

I'm a big fan of Nightforce. Very good glass and tough as nails. I'm pretty rough with my equipment and haven't been able to kill one yet. Of course, with Nightforce, you're pretty much committing yourself to a SFP scope, unless you can find an F1 in your price range. I have three Nightforce scopes right now. A 1-4X, a 2.5-10X and a 5.5-22X. I use the 5.5-22X on my .308 and it's the rig that I use the most.

A friend of mine recently sold his two Nightforce scopes in favor of Razors. He likes them better. He thinks the glass is better and I think that I have to agree. In side by sides between his and mine, I think that the Razors edge out my Nightforce scopes in clarity. I'm just not sold on the Razors being tougher, which is what I'm more worried about.

You should also check out the SS HD line as well. They don't have the bells and whistles of the Nightforce, but they do have FFP reticles.

The guys that I know that shoot primarily tactical types of shooting like the 3-15X (which would include the F1) range. Those that do primarily target/precision types of shooting prefer the 5.5-22X and higher magnification scopes.

From what I understand, the Super Sniper HD scopes are on sale. You could get into one of those that have money left over for ammo or a DBM setup.

Just remember to include a good mounting rig in your budget. Good bases and rings aren't cheap. If I remember right, I think my mounting setup cost me around $250 for the base and rings.

Thanks for the replys guys!!

You might want to consider a one-piece steel base (Mil. Std. 1913 spec.)with a recoil lug. I am new also and have had hell trying to get my new NF to stay in one position on my Savage 10 FCP. The learning curve can be expensive. Scraped the Nightforce base and went to a Badger Ordnance model. Nightforce calls for 25 in. lbs. torque on the 4-6/48 mounting screws. This much torque appears to have stretched the threads on my action. Per my gunsmith I installed the Badger Ordnance base, perfect fit no bedding required, per their instructions using Red Loctite and 15 inch lbs of torque. Problem solved after $250.00 worth of bases.

The Razor HD has great glass but it is a HUGE scope. Check out the length and weight before you commit because it really is a beast.

THanks for the heads up man...Ill def keep that in mind!!

I have heard that about them!! I am really leaning towards A USO Lazy..Had some really good advice for me the other day!

Under 2K my choice would be a Vortex Razor. They aren't that big. The same size as other scopes in their power range. The USO is longer and about the same weight. I have owned a few of each and I would rather have the Razor.