• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need help refining 22lr choice

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
I want to upgrade my 22lr collection to include a very accurate shooter. I have looked at the Annies, Kidd offerings, and the Vudoo rifles. I have shot several Annies and Kidds - just looking to get the best of the best. What do you all think? I suspect that there isn't much difference in the top tier guns. My interest is in peer and steel out to 250 yards - perhaps an occasional small varmint hunt. Any reason to settle on one of the guns mentioned?

The reason to settle on Anschutz is that they have forgotten more about accurate rimfires than just about any other company on the planet ever knew. No joke. They are LITERALLY behind a lot of the development of the original technology, and closely associated with the development of all that best-of-the-best ammunition that shoots so well in their rifles.

If you want better than a match rifle built on an Anschutz 54, 54.30, or Fortner action, then you are either looking at a full-custom benchgun, or you are looking at dropping off a $5,000 check at Grunig & Elmiger or Bleiker and buckling down for the wait.

The 5018 Anschutz trigger is also one of the best in the world on any firearm, ever.

If you really want "best", anything 10/22 is not even a consideration.

-Nate

Reactions: ZG47A and PRDRIVER
I can't comment on the Annie, never even held one but I think their reputation is enough. I can comment on the Vudoo. Finest firearm I own. Shoots rediculously well. Customer service is top notch. Feels like a "big boy" rifle in every aspect. Magazines are perfect. Did I mention it flat out shoots?

Don't discount a highly tuned 10/22 though. Not a Walmart special with a GM barrel dropped on it but a Kidd SG or a full custom from CPC. I'm sure there are plenty of 10/22 magicians not known to me. A well set up 10/22 will probably not match the Vudoo or Annie but it'll probably shock you how close it'll get. I vote for the Vudoo though-Norcal911

Reactions: Afkirby
Do you need a repeater? Will you ever want to shoot any 3P or 50M prone with irons and a sling? Are you left handed?

The Vudoo gives you some things, besides excellent accuracy, like easily being able to use any chassis or stock that can take a Rem 700 by just dropping it in. Same with triggers. Also the larger AICS sized magazines are easier for reloads. No issues with working the bolt hard and fast like any centerfire as well. It's a custom so you can get it set up however you like in just a barreled action or a full rifle. Can't really go wrong with a Vudoo. Yes they are a newer company but the owners and designer/engineer are not knew to the sport or firearms so don't let that worry you.

I was in your shoes a few weeks back. I went with Vudoo. I own a custom single shot bolt action built by R. Gorham and I had a Kidd supergrade, which I liked but sold as in the end I prefer bolt action.

I went with Vudoo and hope to review it when it comes next week.

If you want "different", along with super reliability, accuracy, ergo's, trigger and superb craftsmanship, look no farther than a 1827 or 1727 Anschutz.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Vudoo sitting in my same go-to chassis!

Sexy as can be isn't it!
86IxCfK.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Frankly and Rover31
The only problem with the Fortners, to me, is the delicacy of the stocks. You can literally break one in half without much effort.

For that reason, I think for the kind of usage guys around here intend, an 1827 or 54.18 MS R in a Manners or McMillan are about the ultimate in factory stuff.

-Nate

The only problem with the Fortners, to me, is the delicacy of the stocks. You can literally break one in half without much effort.

For that reason, I think for the kind of usage guys around here intend, an 1827 or 54.18 MS R in a Manners or McMillan are about the ultimate in factory stuff.

-Nate

I hadn't heard of that yet.

But it's been five years of tactical 22 and hunting with no problems. Is anybody really that rough with their 22's? I suppose if someone were skiing downhill at 30 mph and crashed horribly landing on the rifle, then maybe.

Last edited:
If a guy is off the range with it, yes, one can entirely conceive of 10s of ways to trip, slip, slide, etc. enough to break one of those lovely walnut Fortner stocks. I also am strongly--and correctly--of the opinion that those stocks (and ANY of their match Walnut stocks) do not do well in drenching rain, yet I shoot mine in the rain at will (hint: the stock was made in Arizona).

Course, if you did break it, you could just have Marc at Altius make you a custom stock for it.

But I think everybody should know that they DO get broken from time to time, and yes, it often involves skiing, but I've heard of runners breaking theirs in summer biathlon as well.

Just because you haven't, doesn't mean you can't. If they can, you can.

-Nate

I have 2 stocks for Anschutz biathlon rifles cracked in the wrist, its unfortunately easy to do. Steve I love that rifle, I have had a thing for it ever since your 1st post of it years ago.

I was hell bent on an Annie until I got to handle the Vudoo. If I was needing a single shot or biathlon gun I may still have bought one. But, I wanted a PRS style gun. I have a V22 in lefty on the way

I have a Vudoo and and Anschutz. Both are great. I love that the Vudoo will fit into a 700SA stock or chassis. Anschutz has been behind the curve when it came to making a tactical style .22 rifle. Their 1416 Manners stocked gun was a step in the right direction. They have been listening to shooters as of late and how have the Kelbly's stocked 54 Action rifle along with an XLR chassis for the 54 action rifles.

Like I said above, the Vudoo is great for the chassis/stock options that you have. The actions are nice, mags are a bit bulky, but necessary to fit in a 700 chassis/stock. If you compare it to an Anschutz 54 action, there are some notable differences. The 54 is smoother and has half the bolt lift of the Vudoo, the factory trigger on the Anschutz is fantastic as well. The 54 action has been refined over a couple decades and it shows.

If you are a lefty, and want a tactical type .22 bolt rifle, the Vudoo is the hands down best option, unless you want a custom left handed Fortner, but it will run $4.5k. If you are a right handed shooter, Anschutz now has some interesting offerings for tactical rimfire that are worth considering.
1710 Basic.jpg

I have 2 stocks for Anschutz biathlon rifles cracked in the wrist, its unfortunately easy to do. Steve I love that rifle, I have had a thing for it ever since your 1st post of it years ago.

Thanks, I do love this thing! I suppose I better continue to be careful, I had just not known about any stock problems before!

One thing I will point out to all, that is the Fortner system is so fast and easy to cock that I don't ever have to break position no matter how funky the position is off the obstacle I've had to shoot off of. Also the system is faster than any bolt rifle could ever be ran, this means more time building positions, staying tuned into the stage and watching what the wind is doing. I've literally won matches just because of the speed and easy manipulation of the system. Another is this system is almost as fast as a semi but just about as accurate as a 22 can be.

Reactions: Rover31
Rumor is, if you want a Fortner action Anschutz, but were worried about the stock, there will be an offering in their new Kelbly's stock come summer time.

I want to upgrade my 22lr collection to include a very accurate shooter. I have looked at the Annies, Kidd offerings, and the Vudoo rifles. I have shot several Annies and Kidds - just looking to get the best of the best. What do you all think? I suspect that there isn't much difference in the top tier guns. My interest is in peer and steel out to 250 yards - perhaps an occasional small varmint hunt. Any reason to settle on one of the guns mentioned?

I have a Kidd Supergrade, in a Titan stock with Titan's rear anchor, that shoots very well. I have almost as much in the Kidd as a Annie I also have a CZ 455 Varmint that shoots good also. I have 2 custom action centerfire 1000 yds benchrest gun, a Bat "B" and a Stiller Diamondback. Once you have a custom action you can't go back. Vudoo has done it right, every is set for stocks. Like BAT action say " Buy the best and cry once". If I were starting over I would get the Vudoo!

Mark

Sounds like you are willing, able and have rationalized the higher price point of the Annie/Voodo guns. That's great. They are great guns. I have a 40X conversion and a 455VPT and there is a difference, but not that great. The Voodo/40X is better, has more options on trigger and stocks/chassis, but I am amazed at how well the CZ keeps with it.

If you want "different", along with super reliability, accuracy, ergo's, trigger and superb craftsmanship, look no farther than a 1827 for 1727 Anschutz.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Vudoo sitting in my same go-to chassis!

Sexy as can be isn't it!
86IxCfK.jpg

I forgot about this thread, but since it got bumped I thought I would mention that I won our High Desert Southwest Regional NRL22 match with this rifle in March.

What was weird or interesting at least, is that I had a POI shift of .3 mil when sighting in, I adjusted the scope then it was .3 mil the other direction, and by then the match was starting so I left it alone and added .3 to everything for the rest of the day, then as the match proceeded the clicks became mute and I couldn't feel the detents anymore. Somehow the scope kept tracking decent, lucky me, lol??? The scope is at the service center now and I have a Athlon Cronus BTR mounted in place of.

The same attributes of the Fortner action I already made mention of definitely helped. Especially on a stage when one was rewarded by both cleaning the stage and getting extra points for each round that wasn't used -I used 8 rounds but 2 left in the mag when finished, that is if completed within a certain time limit, which I did.

I own a couple of Annies, a Vudoo, a couple of 40x's, a Win 52D, a Tactical Solution, and several others of lesser quality. The most accurate are my Annies, followed closely by the Vudoo and the 40x's. My favorite right now is the Vudoo. It shoots close enough with the Annies but my Annies are both single shots. For F-class I will shoot Anschutz, for anything else except hunting, Vudoo. For hunting, Tactical Solution gets the nod.

Reactions: Frankly
I've been down this path sooooo many times.....First, i built a very custom 10/22 and it was fantastic. Easily sub 1/2” at 50. But.....wanted to push it further. Then came the Annie 54:30. OMG.....talk about accurate. But honestly, not the most fun to shoot as its “work”. Then....the Annie 54 Action in a GSR stock. NOW we were cooking with gas. However, it was a bit light and small compared to my PRS rifle and didn't function like the trainer I hoped it would be. THEN....came the Vudoo....Now, Im happy and have what I need. Note, the 54:30 is the most accurate, buts its a toss up between the Annie 54 and the Vudoo. The 10/22 is honestly a lot of fun and will never get sold....and is often the better choice for some NRL events.....but the Vudoo remains, by far, the sexiest.

Update....a year later, and 6000 rounds of ammunition, Ive bought another Annie....a modified 1927 fortner action from the Annie Custom Shop. If the Vudoo was cooking with gas, now we are burning nitro methane....

Last edited:
Don't write off SAKO. The P94S (Finnfire), PO4R (Quad), and new Finnfire II are accurate and quality 22lr choices.

https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com nice guys, they have some pretty guns in their custom shop for sale listings.

I think it's more about defining what you want to do and also setting a budget and then working within those parameters. Otherwise the sky is the limit and you'll chase your tail forever.

You do realize once you get to a certain elevated level you also need an identical spare? haha

Last edited:
...and at that point, does it really make sense to skimp on a scope.

I try not to do the math on my converted 40X with a Premier scope.

Take a look at the stickied 6x5 thread. JBell has put up a lot of the info. from the old hide as well as current info. What you will see is that there are a lot .22s that will perform at a very high level. At some point what is the best becomes a combination of environmentals, a sweet lot of ammo and how much coffee you had that morning (or how much tequila you had the night before).

Reactions: Geno C.