• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need help with a Remington 597 issue

jlopez

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
I have been helping a buddy with his 597 and we are stumped as to what is causing this problem. When the barrel is cold the first two shots string about 2.25" apart. (See # 1 and #2 in pic). Third shot was in between. So far the first couple of cold bore shots are unpredictable. No pattern seems to appear. Continuous shots will start tightening up. This target is not indicative of continuous shots. As long as you continue shooting the groups stay consistent. As soon as you let the barrel cool you start all over with 2 or 3 three shot "flyers" and then it groups again.
597problem.jpg

Barrel was fouled but cleaning the barrel helped reduce the spread but did not eliminate the problem.
When changing ammo we cleaned the barrel still stringing.
Let barrel cool and no cleaning in between strings same results.
We have tried Federal, Winchester, CCI, Wolf, Eley, and two different Remington loads. All do the same thing.
This is a scoped rifle with whatever Remington put on it. Rings are tightened and torqued properly.

What else do I need to try to figure out the problem or should it just go back to Remington?

Thanks in advance,
J

Re: Need help with a Remington 597 issue

If I was your buddy get rid of it and get a ruger 10/22. Im a big remington fan with 4 700s never a issue.

My 597 was jamming so I took it apart for a good cleaning and the reciever is cracked it was below the stock were you would never know unless you removed it near were it attaches to the barrel lug.

Guess Ill give remington a call and hope for the best. As far as accuracy never been happy with this rifle just cant pass this POS on to some one else I wouldnt be able to sleep.

Good luck

My 597 had a bunch of pressure points all along the right side of the stock when I first got it - took forever to remove. Since then it still exhibits some dispersion when the barrel is cold - but it's really tight when it's warm (0.5"/50yd).

It's been a long time since I shot it, and I haven't completely ruled out any pressure points mid-channel - but next time I'm playing with it, after I check that, I'm going to apply a pressure pad at the front of the fore-end to see if that helps.

The 597 has had a lot of problems with no end in sight. Remington just doesn't seem to care about this one. Check with any of the rimfire boards. My impression is that they need a lot of work. I would agree with the earlier post and get a Ruger, or maybe a BRNO 611. -RN

Try rimfirecentral.com Tons of people there have the same gun with the same problems.