• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help with Fixed zoom optic

04cobra

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
California
I feel bad asking this question but I have spent way too many hours researching a scope for my new gun with out finding what I want. It is a r700 chambered in 300 WSM. It is going to be a strictly long range shooting rifle. 800+ yards. I am basicly wanting a fixed zoom scope that will handle the recoil and track properly. Something with 20x or more and at least 50mm objective. It has to be something that works. ie. does what its supposed to do, hold zero and 1 moa on the knob equals 1 moa on poi. I see weaver has some but the objective is only 40mm. I can't imagine them getting enough light for good clarity. Something with target turrets and also has that nice tactical look to it. I would like something that has a lot of adjustment so I don't have to use canted rings, but that is not a main priority. I would like to keep it under $1000, but if there is a $400 scope that works, then I would enjoy the savings. Thanks in advance for the input.

Re: Need help with Fixed zoom optic

Liberty Optics has an IOR 16x42 30mm SF Tactical Scope for $799. It may not fit what you listed but it would serve you well. It's very bright and it works.
http://libertyoptics.com/

Thanks for the advise. That looks like a good way to go. Anybody else have any recomendations?

Fixed zoom scope?? You mean as in fixed power?
SWFA sell their own brand SS tactical scopes and offer a 16x42mm http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P501.aspx

However, I personally I think a high mag fixed power scope lacks versitility. For example there will be times when as the light fades, its a definate advanage to be able to reduce the power to say x8 or x10 and still be able to shoot long range with it..So I would think long and hard before going down a fixed x16 route..

Regards,

Peter

Yeah I meant fixed power. I was trying to save money while still getting a durable quality scope. I found the vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST. That looks like a scope I would be happy with. I am not familiar with the vortex brand, but from what I see it seems to be a quality brand. Is this a correct assumtion???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 04cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I meant fixed power. I was trying to save money while still getting a durable quality scope. I found the vortex 6-24x50 Viper PST. That looks like a scope I would be happy with. I am not familiar with the vortex brand, but from what I see it seems to be a quality brand. Is this a correct assumtion???</div></div>

Vortex is a great company, family owned here in the US since 1986 I believe, their customer service is second to none!!

Higher powered scopes also mean MIRAGE is worse. You may want to go with a basic 10x scope and a good Spotting scope for the extra mag to see the hits. Then again, if your rifle will only see range duty a 20x and a mirage tape on the barrel will be good too