• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need help with Kimber

charliel49

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2009
I have a Kimber SIS and it is locking back with 1 or two rounds left in magazine.I tried multiple mags with same result and used those mags in another 1911 with no problem. I striped the gun down but could not find any abnormalities. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need help with Kimber

Check the slide stop. Sometimes the nose of bullets hit where the slide stop is supposed to contact the magazine follower, and that will need to be filed down to avoid this. Don't go too far!

or a weak spring in the detent and possibly not enough of an indent in the slide stop. i had a 1911 that did the same thing. they make a drill bit that will fit in the detent tube and allow you to make enough of a indent for the detent pin to engage and keep the lever from locking the slide. id say a bad or mis-shapen detent pin, but its new right?

at least thats what i did to stop mine from doing what yours is doing

let us know what they say, I have a friend who has 2 sis and he hasnt had any problems

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check the slide stop. Sometimes the nose of bullets hit where the slide stop is supposed to contact the magazine follower, and that will need to be filed down to avoid this. Don't go too far! </div></div>

This is most likely your issue. Mine did this and I called Kimber. They sent me a new slide stop and it still did it. I'm not sure what was different about the new one, but I ended up just buying an EGW barstock slide stop and fitting it myself. You can probably just file down your existing one, however. Go slow and make sure to retain the same profile. Check your progress by nosing a round up the follower in the mag further and further and see if it contacts. There should be about a paper thin clearance between the nose of the bullet and the slide stop when the round is pushed forward. Polish the surface smooth when your done. What is happening is under recoil, the last few rounds in the mag are able to move around more freely since there is less spring pressure beneath them. This allows them to inch up and bump the slide stop with the nose of the bullet.