• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need help!

Bud6mm

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2013
Maybee mi
3 out of 5 shots are 1/2 moa at 100 and The other 2 are 3/4 -1 1/2 moa. I'm shooting a .284 win with virgin Norma brass, rl-17 powder. Winchester lr primers on a new bartlein 26" 1-9 twist with 175 eld-x bullets. 120 rounds down the tube and broke in according to bartliens website. It's not consistently throwing the shots the same way either. I am using a Lyman m-5 scale to measure my charges .Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

If I understand you, your 5 shot groups is an inch and a half in size, counting all five shots. Ray

Yea, but not every group. It's only once in a while that it happens. 1 out 5 groups are that big. Most stay inside of 3/4 moa.

That could be anything. How did you develop the load you are shooting?

These are the items I would look at if it was me.

-Are you shooting a load that is in the node? Many times you can load rounds that are not in a node and get good 3 shot groups (1/2" or under) possibly even 5 shot groups but you will have a flyer, likely at least one or two in a 5 shot group.

-Chrono your round, this should be another indicator if you are in a mode or not.

-Is it you, are you pulling the shots?

-Check that everything is tight on scope mounts and the scope itself is not broke (what scope is on rifle?). Parallax adjusted correctly? Mirage?

-Make sure barrel is not touching anything on stock

-Is the barrel a thin contour? Are you getting a couple good 5 shoot groups then it opens up? If barrel is smaller contour and your shooting 15 rounds or so in a row, it might start heating up by those last couple shots causing flyers.

-Do you have consistent reloading practice. Are all you bullets sized, seated, trimmed, etc. all the same?

-Was the rifle chambered by someone reputable? Can the rifle shoot, have you shot any groups with factory loads?

Those are some things I would check. There are other thing but those are where I start. Many things in that list are obvious but since I don't know you and since all of us overlook simple stuff once in awhile I listed the obvious stuff as well. Not trying to degrade you or nothing because I am learning myself.

I'm shooting off bags, its a mpa chassis wth a Bartlien Mtu contour. Its a model 700 action that was tried and chambered by long rifles inc. i think the smith and the parts are ok. It has a seekins 20moa made and rings tourqued with a torque wrench and al the hardware has blue lock tight holding it. I have and sad of 7 across a magneto speed with 10 rds. They don't have factory loads for this cartridge anymore. I'm seating with a hornady die with a mic on it and i check every 4-5 rds for oal consistency off the ogive to base. It is a new Burris xtr ii 5-25. When i did load work up i found where my pressure signs started and backed it down a grain and stayed there for safety reasons. It was 32* when i did load development, I didn't want pressure issues when the temp when up. The bullets are seated .005 off the lands. I am using an rsbs fl sizing die on my brass. Its still the first firing for my brass. I wouldn't think that it would make that big of a difference. I am shooting again tomorrow or Wednesday. I could have pulled them but i was on bags after the first 2 groups because i noticed i was getting some hop off the concrete bench.

Well from the sound of it thee issue is not in the rifle or the reloading. If you have sd of 7 may not mean your still right in a node in itself but I don't think any issues will show up at 100.

So in my opinion that only leave a couple other things that could be the culprit.

Scope could still be broke, probably not the issue but scopes do break.

Shooter causing the problem. If your getting hop from shooting on a bipod your not loading properly or you're not controlling rifle on follow thru (could be from not being square behind rifle or influencing it with trigger hand). Shooting on a bag may disguise the issue but will not fix it.

The last cause could still be parallax or mirage. Are you shooting with scope zoomed all the way in? This will make both of these worst. Many times mentally for many people shooting groups with scope zoomed all the way in mess with them because they see the shots clearly and cause them unconsciously to start influencing the rifle.

Just my opinions and my thoughts. I have done all of the above and still struggle with most of them, at least from time to time.

Are you on the upper range of charge weight? RL 17 can do some funky shit when the load borders max.

I am a full grain under where i was getting pressure signs. It is probably me not getting square on the rifle. I need to tighten up on my fundamentals like a couple guys are saying probably. Thank you for the help everyone. I appreciate it. I will try another scope just to make sure but its probably me being lazy.