• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need Hunting Scope Rec’s?

Black Ice

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2017
Looking for a hunting scope for a 6.5 PRC APR build.

$2500 budget but I can go a little higher for exactly what I want.

Lighter weight
High quality glass
Great in Low Light
16 power plus
Illuminated preferred but not a deal breaker.

Was looking hard at the Swaro Z6 illuminated in 5-30 but want to make sure that’s the best choice for what I want.

Nightforce shv 5x20x56 or for 2500 I would buy Nightforce atacr 5x25x56

I’ve always stayed away from Vortex because it seems like the lower models always get to use the great warranty they have. Not to mention aren’t the AMG scopes heavy?

28.8 ounces is pretty damn good actually.

Last edited:
I second the Henny if you can tolerate the weight. Great FOV, incredible glass, especially at twilight. but heavy (~31oz) compared to the Z6 (~22oz), so it’s not “lighter weight”.

Reactions: BCX
ZCO 420

B725FE13-C25F-4836-9534-1587C59DE342.jpeg

Think about used. You can get a $3500 optic for $2500 if you are patient.

S&B PMII 3-20×50US
S&B PMII 5-20×50US
Tangent Theta TT315M 3-15×50 (plenty for hunting out to 1200+)
ZCO 4-20×50 (but I doubt you will find a used one yet)
Minox ZP5 3-15×50

How light do you need?

Leupold VX6hd TMOA would be worth consideration if SFP and MOA is acceptable.

How light do you need?

Leupold VX6hd TMOA would be worth consideration if SFP and MOA is acceptable.

This is going to be for hunting so SFP is fine and I only own MOA scopes as of now.

It’s got a proof research barrel and carbon fiber stock.

Attachments

• 26A14E35-B963-492B-836C-BFA3D8CD44D1.jpeg
    26A14E35-B963-492B-836C-BFA3D8CD44D1.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 53
I second the Henny if you can tolerate the weight. Great FOV, incredible glass, especially at twilight. but heavy (~31oz) compared to the Z6 (~22oz), so it’s not “lighter weight”.
That Henny is gonna be my next scope as a gift to myself after I finish my first year of my next job. Period. End of story. After that.... The bigger brother 3.5-26x56.

The AMG is a very nice scope, I’m very happy with mine. But it’s not comparable to a higher end Swarovski.

I have a z8i 2.3-18x56 on one of my rifles, and it’s on a different level completely. With their ballistic turret flex added on, it makes a top notch hunting scope.

I like/use the AMG for a hunting scope, but I’d love to try out a ZCO 4-20.
As much as I love the AMG, the ZCO is on a different level (better) and while it is shorter it is also heavier if that matters.

Reactions: Wyzrd
Took my blaser 300n 230 out to 1289 prone a few days ago with the zco420 on 20x. Fabulous clarity - so easy to get behind. Cold bore 3/3 deer heart/lung cavity hits on the steel. Wife enjoyed watching the vapor trail on all 3 impacts with the btx85 setup. Should get my 527 MPCT2 soon!

As much as I love the AMG, the ZCO is on a different level (better) and while it is shorter it is also heavier if that matters.

That better/different level is exactly why I’d love to get my paws on one? As for the weight, I’d be willing to compromise and haul a little extra weight for a superior optic.?

That better/different level is exactly why I’d love to get my paws on one? As for the weight, I’d be willing to compromise and haul a little extra weight for a superior optic.?
That's exactly what I did with the Minox ZP5 5-25, it was worth the extra weight for the amazing IQ and reticle, but I still love the AMG for what it is and the prices you can get them now

Lightweight and great zoom range at the expense of depth of field. I really like depth of field on my hunting rifles.
It seems as soon as someone raises March, depth of field is the next comment. I've got two 3-24 FFP, and haven't noticed the lack. Before I bought them I'd heard a lot of DOF remarks but decided that the combination of light weight and great glass were an acceptable trade off for some loss of DOF, but in reality I think it is hardly noticeable (if at all) in a hunting situation.

I've got one on a .280 that gets used mainly for deer, and another on a .223 that gets the living arse shot out of it, nearly all at live targets - deer, goats, varmints. $$ is the only reason they aren't on all of my rifles. YMMV, but those two scopes have sold a lot more to people who have used them.

I probably should have mentioned I have $1500 in Cabela’s points so it’s going to be really hard for me to pull the trigger on something $3500 that I can’t get at Cabela’s or bass pro.

I also hunt from a Box blind in South Texas with a 300 yard shot most of the time. I prefer the higher magnification scopes so I don’t have to have a spotting scope because I have a few setups with 750 yard lanes.

I have seen a lot of AMG mentions but how does that compare to the swaro z6 for low light and glass quality?

The swaro Z8 would probably be my choice but Cabela’s doesn't have them on their website so I settled for the Z6 thinking that was my best option for what they have.

I probably should have mentioned I have $1500 in Cabela’s points so it’s going to be really hard for me to pull the trigger on something $3500 that I can’t get at Cabela’s or bass pro.

I also hunt from a Box blind in South Texas with a 300 yard shot most of the time. I prefer the higher magnification scopes so I don’t have to have a spotting scope because I have a few setups with 750 yard lanes.

I have seen a lot of AMG mentions but how does that compare to the swaro z6 for low light and glass quality?

The swaro Z8 would probably be my choice but Cabela’s doesn't have them on their website so I settled for the Z6 thinking that was my best option for what they have.
The Leupold VX-5/6HD series are as good (if not better) than the Swaro Z series. Plus a majority of their scopes are available at Cabelas and under the $1500 mark. The AMG is a nice scope, but the VX5/6HD's are better in almost every sense. More adjustment, lighter in weight, better performance in low light and glare, etc.

Here is a video comparing the VX5HD to the Swaro Z5. This helped solidify my decision to go with the Leupold.

The Leupold VX-5/6HD series are as good (if not better) than the Swaro Z series. Plus a majority of their scopes are available at Cabelas and under the $1500 mark. The AMG is a nice scope, but the VX5/6HD's are better in almost every sense. More adjustment, lighter in weight, better performance in low light and glare, etc.

Here is a video comparing the VX5HD to the Swaro Z5. This helped solidify my decision to go with the Leupold.

I find it hard to put much value in a review done by a business that carries, sells and promotes one of the products, but not the other...it’s hardly subjective.

And during that review, I heard “just as good” stated, and the cost difference used as a detractor for the Swarovski.

In my experience, when somebody is pushing a cheaper product and make the “jUsT aS GoOd” argument, its usually not. I see this stated all the time when it comes to budget rifles (AR’s in particular), rifle components and optics. Again, in my experience...you get what you pay for.

Now I’ve owned and spent a lot of time behind a vx5hd. No complaints. I’ve never owned or shot with a z5, so I can’t speak for that scope. But I do own and shoot with a z8i (which according to that review somehow makes it a lesser or at least harder to be as good of a scope because of its 8x zoom ratio compared to those two’s 5x ratio). It’s much better in every aspect of clarity, contrast and low light performance compared to the Leupold.

Now for the AMG, I would put that above my Vx5HD also, it’s all around better.

That’s just my experience with scopes that I own...I have optics from most manufacturers, so I’m not brand loyal to any.

Last edited:
Take it a step further and look into the 3 X 18 Kahles or old school 624i. That my friend is were you can separate the what is capable at or after S/S.

If you want a free rifle you can get a tier 1 minox for under your budget?

That minox deal is so damn tempting...I’ve had the itch for a new .243 for a while, and the thoughts of getting a zp5 50% off for buying the rifle is almost too good to be true.

Just went through this and went with Leupold VH-6HD. Superior low light performance and quick CDS dial system did it for me. For a hunting scope I didn’t want the Complexity of a tactical scope. Found a hell of a deal on it too.

Ended up going with the Swaro Z6 5-30x50.

What rings do y’all recommend? Thinking seekins in maybe a low or medium.

Reactions: Langford
The meat in my freezer and antlers on the wall say different. :p
But we all are here to post our opinions and yours is just as important as mine.

The meat in my freezer and antlers on the wall say different. :p
But we all are here to post our opinions and yours is just as important as mine.

For the price NXS's sell for, I wouldn't touch them now a days. If you want a nightforce for that price why would you not get one of the new NX8's? They are roughly the same price but have better mag ranges, smaller foot print, are FFP, have better reticles, and have much better glass. NXS are outdated, so many better scopes can be had for the same price or less.

If you already have one they are still solid, if you are looking to buy, there is zero reason to buy one over other options that are available now.