• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need info: Benelli M1 Super 90 Shotgun

Terry Cross

Dingleberry
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Alexandria, LA 71303
www.kmwlrs.com
Ok, I need some help from the scattergun whores. This is out of my lane so any help is appreciated.

RE: Benelli M1 Super 90 12 gauge. (original 1986 intro model)
Does anyone in this forum know if there are any shorter (18 to 20"'ish) barrels with choke tubes out there available for this model anymore?

I have not owned a shotgun in 15 or 20 yrs. The only shotgun I owned and ever really liked was a Benelli M1 Super 90 that I paid WAY too much for around 1987 to shoot the SOF International 3 gun comp. Previous trips there with an 870 left my already weak shotgun handling even further behind.

At one point when my son was young I sold off several guns I wish I could have kept including that one. My only rub with that gun was that it did not have choke tubes and the factory barrel was so thin at the front, they could not be installed. The factory barrel shot slugs and buck decent but anything #4 or smaller would pattern the size of a bus at 20 yards seemingly.

I miraculously have been approached by the owner of my original Super 90 and he is willing to part with it.

I may try to get it from him just for sentimental value but I might actually shoot it occasionally if I can get a new barrel per above.

Thanks in advance for the info assist.

./

Yes they do/did keep an eye on eBay they pop up from time to time. I have a super 90 with 18” that takes the choke tubes.
For my sbe1 took me about 10months of waiting to find a 26” high rib barrel. After going through that I would tell you

It is much easier just to get the m2 and new forearm.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Ok not to hijack but I also have an M1S90 question. I have an HK import 14" SBS entry gun and would like to put an rds on it, will the M2 (like the scalar base) base work? Mine doea have factory ghost ring sights.

Terry, if you can’t find one, the M2 barrels work on the M1, you just have to use the newer M2 fore end
Thanks Zak.
Appreciate that. At least I can try to get on a trail for an M2 barrel knowing this now.

I uncovered some ancient forum archive from some other that mentioned that and maybe being able to fairly easily modify the M1 forend to work.

I guess if I can find a dealer/distributor that carries M2 barrels, I can always get the M2 fore end if needed too.

Thanks again.
Be safe.

T.

Ok not to hijack but I also have an M1S90 question. I have an HK import 14" SBS entry gun and would like to put an rds on it, will the M2 (like the scalar base) base work? Mine doea have factory ghost ring sights.
The one I referenced above is an old HK too.

Not an expert on scattergun stuff thus me coming here for help on something so basic as barrels but.. You might look at AgencyArms. They do a shit ton of Benelli work and they do have bases they use on M1 and M2 guns with RDS.

./

Reactions: ACard
I believe that is correct, that the old fore-ends can be modified. I've gotten Benelli barrels from Midwest Gunworks, I believe they might be the distributor or the same warehouse as Benelli USA. If you don't care about keeping the classic esthetic, I kind of like the new fore-end. It's thinner and more grippy. I did buy a Field barrel to put on my old M1S90 and it works fine.

I believe that is correct, that the old fore-ends can be modified. I've gotten Benelli barrels from Midwest Gunworks, I believe they might be the distributor or the same warehouse as Benelli USA. If you don't care about keeping the classic esthetic, I kind of like the new fore-end. It's thinner and more grippy. I did buy a Field barrel to put on my old M1S90 and it works fine.
Perfect.
I might try to swing a new M2 barrel and M2 forend just to keep the original takeoff pieces un-molested. It will eventually go to my son and he might appreciate the original version.

Thanks Zak.
T.

./

Terry I have used a lot of the old 14” models but my old brain does not remember those having screw in chokes. My memory only remembers the screw in chokes on the 18” versions coming in early mid 1990’s on the Ghost Ring guns

I see 14” set ups on eBay once in awhile but not with chokes. I want to convert my old 18” to a 14” as well

Terry, just a thought shotgun ammo has improved a lot over the last 15 to 20 years and all brands are not created equal try some different types you will def get better groups than you did years ago. also with screw ins if you have a full choke tube in and you want to switch buck to slugs on the go you might not have a choke in when your done and stripped threads on your barrel. I have 2 benelli's a hk one the first year they were imported and a custom cut job it has around a 10 in barrel they have served me well over the years im retired now but i still would not sell them.

Briley is your best bet for doing choke work on barrels. They have a patented process for choking thin wall barrels. It’s worth a call

Attachments

• M1S90.jpg
    M1S90.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 474
Thanks Zak.
Appreciate that. At least I can try to get on a trail for an M2 barrel knowing this now.

I uncovered some ancient forum archive from some other that mentioned that and maybe being able to fairly easily modify the M1 forend to work.

I guess if I can find a dealer/distributor that carries M2 barrels, I can always get the M2 fore end if needed too.

Thanks again.
Be safe.

T.
Roth Performance might be able to set you up with an M2 barrel.

I have also used Midwest Gunworks for a benelli parts without issue.

Terry, my buddy was in your spot a year ago. He ended up with the M2. It actually runs even better than my M1. Even really light loads work in his I don’t think it will cycle door busters or gas but honestly we have not tried

Terry, it is possible to cut the M1 barrels for chokes, I had this done on mine ,18.5 barrel(love the gun!) using thin wall chokes I have used this for 3gun for years with no issues, just a thought. Good luck.

Terry, it is possible to cut the M1 barrels for chokes, I had this done on mine ,18.5 barrel(love the gun!) using thin wall chokes I have used this for 3gun for years with no issues, just a thought. Good luck.
Thanks Mike. I'm ignorant of most shotgun stuff but i remain skeptical.
This gun is a 1987 Hk import. Not sure if they had variations in the exact barrel specs or not.

I sent this barrel to 2 different shops that do a lot of choke jobs. Both said even the slimline chokes would leave the barrel wall uncomfortably thin. I differed to their judgment. That was around early 90's and am unaware of any newer processes in the choke world. I can certainly reach out again to see.

./

Thanks Mike. I'm ignorant of most shotgun stuff but i remain skeptical.
This gun is a 1987 Hk import. Not sure if they had variations in the exact barrel specs or not.

I sent this barrel to 2 different shops that do a lot of choke jobs. Both said even the slimline chokes would leave the barrel wall uncomfortably thin. I differed to their judgment. That was around early 90's and am unaware of any newer processes in the choke world. I can certainly reach out again to see.

./
Hmmm...just seeing this, so my apologies Terry.

I need to check with mine, but I seem to recall Stoeger M3000 barrels will swap into the Benelli M2 (the M3000 is a clone of the M2). If it does, it may be easier (and faster) just to buy one of those guns, and just either swap the barrel, or use the Stoeger.

I have both, so I'll check to see if they swap out between the two (if I can remember how to disassemble them). Like you, shotguns are a mild distraction that I've played around with over the years, but never really focused on.

Nope. Unfortunately, the barrels don't swap. Close, but not quite.

Still, it does beg the question. If the cost of a new barrel is like an SBE II ($660), and a new Stoeger M3500 is $650...

It doesn't answer your question, and I'm unsure if the there's a sentimental reason to keep using your M1, but it may be more cost effective to run a Stoeger. I can tell you, my Stoeger M3K (3 gun version of the M3000) runs every bit as well as my M2. Makes me cringe when I think back to how much I paid for the M2, only to get a M3K because I didn't want to grind the mag well on it (M3K comes with a lot of those mods already). There's no lack of irony that Stoeger and Benelli are owned by Beretta (as you probably already know).

Anyways, sorry for the false hope on the barrel swap....

Nope. Unfortunately, the barrels don't swap. Close, but not quite.

Still, it does beg the question. If the cost of a new barrel is like an SBE II ($660), and a new Stoeger M3500 is $650...

It doesn't answer your question, and I'm unsure if the there's a sentimental reason to keep using your M1, but it may be more cost effective to run a Stoeger. I can tell you, my Stoeger M3K (3 gun version of the M3000) runs every bit as well as my M2. Makes me cringe when I think back to how much I paid for the M2, only to get a M3K because I didn't want to grind the mag well on it (M3K comes with a lot of those mods already). There's no lack of irony that Stoeger and Benelli are owned by Beretta (as you probably already know).

Anyways, sorry for the false hope on the barrel swap....
No worries and Thank You for taking the time to check that out.

Yes sir, only reason I am in this lane is because of sentimental reasons. I have a short history with this particular shotgun and would like it back. Only way I can justify getting it back is to potentially shoot it once a decade (sure....good luck with that....) and I remember staying unhappy with the factory barrel with any sporting loads.. . . So, I am doing the American thing and will likely spend what a new Stoeger costs for just the barrel just so I can put it in the safe. Never said I was smart.

Thanks again.

./

Reactions: MarinePMI

Yes sir, only reason I am in this lane is because of sentimental reasons. I have a short history with this particular shotgun and would like it back. Only way I can justify getting it back is to potentially shoot it once a decade (sure....good luck with that....) and I remember staying unhappy with the factory barrel with any sporting loads.. . . So, I am doing the American thing and will likely spend what a new Stoeger costs for just the barrel just so I can put it in the safe. Never said I was smart.

Thanks again.

./
LOL! I can completely understand. I've got a few of those in my safe as well.

b/r
Tim

Thanks again.

./

You know where you can get one for a good price. 😉