• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need info for custom kydex sheath.

ArmaHeavy

General of the Army
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2008
I'm looking to get some custom kydex work done. I have an Emerson folding knife and I'm looking to try and get a sheath to let me carry it in the open position.

Anyone know of any makers who could help me out?

Re: Need info for custom kydex sheath.

Thanks a bunch boone.

Thanks Zebra. You just made it harder! LOL!

Do I get it made or make my own? HARD choice.

Thanks a bunch for the info guys. You've been a big help.

Kydex is a very forgiving material to work with. Knifekits and Texas knife are great places to start.

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=49

Plenty of online tutorials to get you started:
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j7CsuKqRjeo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j7CsuKqRjeo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I posted a similar question awhile back, and on several recommendations, I ended up making my own. It's actually a lot easier than you would think and you can make exactly what you want. Here's a couple I ended up making for a couple Benchmades I like to carry.

A belt sheath for a Griptillian fixed blade
2emk27o.jpg

akejpj.jpg

20a9ws1.jpg

And here's a neck sheath I made for a Bone Collector.
With the original sheath:
23h2cn5.jpg

And with the homemade neck sheath:
346uqrs.jpg

I would highly recommend making your own if you're at all handy. As long as you're ordering the material, buy some extra to keep on hand for future projects. I made both sheats from a 12" x 12" sheet of Kydex that cost about $7. For 2 sheets of Kydex, eyelets, a piece of 1" molding foam, screws, Tek-locks, an eyelet setting tool, and shipping, I probably spent about $35 total. Probably much cheaper than shipping your knife to a maker, material, labor, and return shipping, not to mention you'll be without your knife for awhile.

Thanks to the guys who talked me intogiving it a try.

I own a small outfit that makes sheaths and holster (trotac.com), and I'd be glad to help you out if you wanted.

With that said though, I'd recommend that you make it yourself, if that is still something you're considering... It is pretty easy and enjoyable to do. (Who knows, you might even start a company!!! that's what happened to me)

Emerson actually makes, or at least used to, make a sheath exactly as you describe for his folders. I bought one several years back. Haven't looked at his website in a long time though.

Thanks for all of your help guys. It might take awhile, but this will happen eventually. Schedule permitting!