• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Need info on tents

db_17_85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
NW North Dakota
All,

I'm looking at picking up a new tent. My current packing tent is a Eureka Solitare. It's been a good tent, but I need more room and a lot less "bling". Can anyone recommend a good 2-person tent with more subdued colors? I don't need uber-mall ninja-camo of the week, but atleast earth tones would be appreciated. I've been looking at some of the Catoma offerings, but it's not easy to find tents like this. Thanks in advance!

db

Tents are offered in bright colors for two reasons: easier to find in the natural word but most important to be cheery. Finding a natural color tent in the trees or brush is harder than a yellow tent. Hang some reflective fabric on the tent and as some manufactures sew it into the tent will help find tents in dusk or dark. Dark or subdued colors effect the mind when you are in tents by their color and its effect on the mind and allow more light in both to see and make the mind feel better. Try sitting out a 3 day storm in a dark tent. Hard to see inside and its gloomy.

I prefer Todd Bibler designed tents, Black Diamond bought him out. Single wall tents are lighter, easier to set up, offer the most room for a given floor space, smaller to pack.

Ahwahnee Tent - Black Diamond Mountain Gear

MK 1 Mountain tent | FELLFAB Military

Thanks for the reply 45. Understood on the colors. There's just something about the neon tents that bothers me to no end. Anyone ever tried dying a tent?

Get a natural colored rain fly and you'll have the best of both worlds.

we've put hilleberg tents to some really good use. we were still sleeping while 50% of the other tends around us turned into flapping bivvy bags as a sand-storm entered the area

maybe get the nallo gt in green?

JPEG10-NalloGTGrn-cv-08-1138-NoCMYKtag_1.jpg

Last edited:
Try Nemo, I have some of their kit and it's very well made. Here's a tent that caught my eye, a review can be had on military morons.

Losi Combat 2P SE

Last edited:
I've been using a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 for a few months now. It packs out to around 3.5 lbs and is real fast to set up. The colors are gray a pale green. The seams are sealed/taped. Overall its been a good backpacking/1-2 person tent.

My wife and I packed the Sierra Nevada 3 summers in a row, using an Adventure 16. It was supposed to be a 4 person tent, but it only weighed 8 lbs. with poles. Had plenty of room for two packs, long arms, and both beds. Came in brown and green colors. I don't know if they are still around, but I love that tent. I put it up for the grandkids now, and it is still in perfect shape.
It looked a lot like the one above, but wider.

I currently use Bibler and Marmot for backpacking/mountaineering/even car camping- have withstood some insane high alpine storms and torrential PNW rain and kept me dry. Marmot has a few darker green options currently, their older models were also kind of a "sand" color rainfly.

I stay away from any "general" sporting goods manufacturers' tents...you do get what you pay for, and considering a simple motel rate anymore is at the very least $100 pretty much anywhere I go, spending 4-900 on a tent is easy to justify for as much as I use them. Keeping me and my wife dry-and enjoying our precious time off...priceless.
I have used and enjoyed Hilleberg, Moss(now MSR?), TNF, Sierra Designs, Wild Things, Rab,and Mtn Hardware plus a few others I forget... my favorite 2p tent is the Bibler/BD Awahnee with the vestibule...i know of no other tent that can do K2 AND Kauai exceedingly well.

Thanks for the reply 45. Understood on the colors. There's just something about the neon tents that bothers me to no end. Anyone ever tried dying a tent?

I am not sure it is a good idea to dye a tent due to the coatings.

Bright colors bother you how, standing out in the natural world or from inside.

Here is another option that can be requested in earth tones Warmlite Climbers Two Person Tent | Stephenson's Warmlite

Craig has an idea to use a fly or a subdued siltarp covering like Siltarp 2 ? 8? x 10? | FELLFAB Military that would subdue you from the outside view.

Catoma tents I know little about but goggling their name, two person tents are dark and their listed weight is too much for my use. Using pole clip design is better than threading poles through sleeves but still waists time, energy and adds weight. Their dome design eats up internal space for their floor size and weight.

I used one of these too, lot of room for less weight, smaller pack, will take abuse.
Tempest Tent - Black Diamond Gear

I currently use Bibler and Marmot for backpacking/mountaineering/even car camping- have withstood some insane high alpine storms and torrential PNW rain and kept me dry. Marmot has a few darker green options currently, their older models were also kind of a "sand" color rainfly.

I stay away from any "general" sporting goods manufacturers' tents...you do get what you pay for, and considering a simple motel rate anymore is at the very least $100 pretty much anywhere I go, spending 4-900 on a tent is easy to justify for as much as I use them. Keeping me and my wife dry-and enjoying our precious time off...priceless.
I have used and enjoyed Hilleberg, Moss(now MSR?), TNF, Sierra Designs, Wild Things, Rab,and Mtn Hardware plus a few others I forget... my favorite 2p tent is the Bibler/BD Awahnee with the vestibule...i know of no other tent that can do K2 AND Kauai exceedingly well.

Sound advice from my experience. Shelter failure is not an option in my experience and I have seen good quality tents shred in a blow, digging and diving to bolt holes in the middle of the night. I have slept a few nights in tents all year round, down low, up high and have seen many tents just not hold up well in bad weather or even rain. I have had 5 Bibler Tents that have went through some insane weather and abuse without failure. The vertical walls allow more internal usable space for the floor size, a smaller tent that gives more room for changing clothes and such Vs a larger dome tent, less weight to pack plus smaller stuff sack to pack too. Erecting from the inside means; pull out the tent from the pack by the zipper, slide the tent over your head, pull tent poles from the pack, erect the tent from the inside and over time, can be erected in 30-45 seconds.

The only other tents that I can say that I never seen or had fail is the The North Face VE24 but the weight and packed size is just too much. Original Marmot Mountain Works tents out of Durrango CO was also an extreme tent.

ive had my rei tent for several years now and its survived high mountain winter camping, and hot summer texas camping. i also spent several weeks in an older north face 3 man tent that was like being in a freakin resort. but for the money, rei makes good products.

night eagle

I'm really glad I started this thread now. I've never heard of a lot of these companies! Looks like I've got a good bit of reading ahead of me.

45.308--- The bright colors only bother me on the outside. It could be a tie-dyed hippie fest on the inside so long as the outside blends into the surroundings and it's a good, solid tent.

So thanks to everyone and keep them coming!

I have been using a MSR hubba hubba tent for going on 7 years now they come in a green color now and I think it is one of the best 3 season tents ever made. It packs to under 4 lbs, has excelent floor space and headroom, has a full fly with 2 doors and vestibules, and can be set up in several configurations without the rain fly or using just the footprint and fly without the tent body if you want to pack it lighter and aren't worried about bugs.

Oh and since we got a dog we also got the add on Gear Shed and it basically doubles the size of the tent, actually it makes one of the vestibules about the size of the tent body and ot only adds like 1.5 lbs

MSR® Hubba Hubba? 2-person Backpacking Tent

Hubba? Gear Shed?

Last edited:
I really like my hilleberg tent. Roomy, bright on the inside and green on the outside. A bit pricey though.

Randal

Just picked up a Norwegian Nanok -25C Endurance sleeping bag. Seems decent but I will tell you once I've spent a cold few nights in it.

I am on my second Marmot tent. It is a Racer X which is most like a Earlylight 2p in the current offerings. It is not the smallest or lightest, but is comfortable and will handle a storm with no problems. The wife and I woke up to literally 2-3 inches of water around the tent but we were perfectly dry. wouldn't do an extended trip though.

I would agree with Powder_Burns. Have had a Flashlight on the AT many a night. Easy to set up(done it in the dark many a time) and light weight. When I was looking for a new tent a read the reviews they said if you are going to share it with someone, you had better know them pretty well. I can vouch for that statement.

I would highly recommend the Nemo Losi 2 or 3 man tent. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing mine and could not be happier with the tent. Just got back from 3 days in in this weekend at Potholes reservior. Great tent

I can fully recommend a Turbo tent. Specifically the Turbolite 4 tent.This isn't a back packing tent @ 25lbs,but it's a true 4 season tent.It's a heavy duty tent that sets up fast and has taken all of what mother nature has sent my way while deer hunting in the Adirondacks and the North Maine woods for the last seven years.6'3" center height,so you don't have to crawl around in it either.

Kelty makes quality products too. Wont break the bank, holds up well, and has fairly subdued colors. Might be worth a look.

+1 big Agnes seedhouse sl2
Got a lot of miles on mine. When I did finally break the poles, they sent me replacements for free. After 5 years or so