• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Krylon Paint Help Please!

Koshy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2009
Canadia!
Hey,

I had to do some slight modifications to my BT28 AFAR Kit. It lead to some exposed steel. I have not worked with Krylon before, and I would like to get input on which is closest to mat black and will do the best job of preventing rust, while not being too thick.

Also application methods would be appreciated, should I apply it to a q-tip and then rub it onto the part that needs to be covered?

Thanks,
- Koshy

Re: Need Krylon Paint Help Please!

Paint is not the answer, it will come off with solvent or through normal wear, besides, Krylon is an aerosol paint.
You MIGHT try those little automotive touch ups they sell at wally-world, but they probably do not have anything matte.

Cold blue might be the best solution, if the spot is small or possibly parkerizing for a matte finish on a larger area (more difficult).

What is Cold Blue? Also it is a very small area...

And where can I go to get it blued?

Thanks,
- Koshy

Krylon will work. It will rub off of the corners and sharp edges but it's easy to touch up again. I use WD-40 as a cleaning solvent on my painted guns and it doesn't remove the paint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Solothurn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krylon will work. It will rub off of the corners and sharp edges but it's easy to touch up again. I use WD-40 as a cleaning solvent on my painted guns and it doesn't remove the paint. </div></div>

Is there a certain type of Krylon I should use?

Just needs to be painted black, also I don't see "camo" on their website =/

Thanks,
- Koshy

Awesome. Now I just gotta figure out if any stores I can get it from in Canada have it
smile.gif

Thanks,
- Koshy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CWCruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, same stuff.
Why not just coat all of the metal so it looks the same. </div></div>

Yea I guess I could do that, it is just some of it is already coated. And I want to keep it as thin as possible, since I had to file it down to fit
wink.gif

I guess I could always sand the whole thing and then respray it all
smile.gif

I bought the krylon camo kit at walmart (4 colors - flat black, flat OD green, flat dark earth, the fouth can is a sort of flat tan/sand color with a plastic stencil of twig and leaf shapes). I bought refills for the cans from walmart as single cans off the shelf.

Degrease with alcohol or other solvent, let dry and paint.

You might want to experiment on some cardboard first to see what combo's of colors and patterns give you the look you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have exposed metal, you should probably still splash some cold blue on it before you paint it.

The birchwood casey gel stuff has always worked best for me.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html </div></div>

Thank you kindly.

+1 for Krylon Camo. The "Camo" version of this paint holds up fairly well and is easy to work with. It coats well and is very "matte" in appearance.

I also agree that you might consider applying it to the entire surface for an even finish. The trick is to apply several light, thin coats, as opposed to one or two heavy coats.

+1 on the pre-treat with cold blue idea also.

Good luck.

I'd use Oxpho Blue to touch it up myself. Easy to apply, especially in gel form.

id get the nice leaf brown shade transparent type krylon and maybe some similar light yellow and orange and whip up a craptastic flek-tard type pattern. turd flage schemes are ideal.

You could try Rustoleum "High Heat" black spray paint. I used it to paint the headers on my fourwheeler. It lasted 2 years of hard use here in Alaska and was really thin yet durable.