• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need M1A scope mounting help

BigAndy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2011
MI, USA
Hey fellas, I am looking to do an EBR build. I have a forged Polytech receiver (I know; not my first choice either) and am acquiring a USO MR-10 1.8-10x37 scope from a fellow Hide member. I am also planning on a GDI G1-OSM mount. My question is which rings/ring system should I use? I talked to both USO (who recommended ADM Recon mounts) and ADM. ADM's tech told me to go with the AD-Recon-SW, but I kind of like the AD-Recon. I think the AD-Recon or the AD-Recon-H will help with the eye relief. Are any of you guys running an EBR with an ADM? I only want to buy once and would like some help with eye relief, but if the AD-Recon and/or AD-Recon-H mounts might present other problems, please let me know.
Thanks,
-BigAndy

I don't have the combo you are asking about, but I do have a SA with a SS 3x9 and if I was starting over today I'd sell the SA and build a 308 AR. I would want to get that optic mounted as low as possible; my understanding of the ADM mounts is they are rather tall. Maybe with the EBR the height is a non-issue however.

Stink,
Already have a 24" LR-260 that is ~20 lbs. The EBR is going to have an 18.5" barrel, and hopefully be a few pounds lighter. I know that using a Sage in a 'lighter' build is just about oxymoronic, but I just really dig the look of the M1A in a Sage. That said, I don't want a top-notch scope, being battered by all that recoil, in a 'cheap' or uncomfortable mount. I want proper eye relief AND stability.
-BigAndy

Get the Sage DCSB and some low BO or NF rings and you're set. That mount with the scope mount you mentioned will be stupidly high. Keep it as low as possible, the DCSB and low rings should keep it just over the rear sight.

Expert,
I like the way this: G1-OSM Gen 3 M/14 M/1A optical sight mount looked really rigid. I kind of committed to the GDI mount already (I got a decent deal over on LongRangeHunting). I guess you're saying to go with a really low set of rings/ring system on top of the GDI then? By the way, you tag line rifle is awesome.
-BigAndy

The GDI mounts are of exceptional quality, BUT...they are a fair bit HIGHER (~0.50" or more) than other options out there like the Sadlak, etc.

I agree with the other post above re: getting the lowest set of rings that will allow you to have appropriate clearances for your optic (bell and eyepiece/magnification controls/etc.) and be done with it. Putting an already high 1pc, QD mount designed for a flattop AR on top of an unnecessarily high M1A mount is just a recipe for problems, even with an adjustable cheek riser that can help get you positioned on the rifle at least somewhat better. Why anyone at ADM would recommend you putting a 1.47" tall (base to ring centerline) mount on top of an M1A with your GDI mount is beyond me, but if you are dead set on a QD mount, I'd be looking more at the lowest offering from ADM which is the AD-RECON-SL which is only 1.110" tall (even that is going to be WAY HIGH!!). You shouldn't need any forward cantilever with your optic of choice on an EBR setup to get proper positioning/eye relief/etc. on the rifle. Seekins Precision 30mm lows 4/4 and 6/4 rings) are 0.82" base to centerline and that SHOULD be more than enough to get that optic mounted up without putting it up high enough to provide aerial recon for you in addition to being an aiming device!! ;)

I have a Sadlak Ind. mount, badger ordnance (low) rings and a USO 1.5-6 sitting on my SA. There is about 1/8" clearance between the scope and rear sight, about as low as you can get without serious modification. It took a few bad purchases for me to justify spending the $$ but I have been very pleased with this set up.

I guess I am NOT set on the QD then. Thanks for the info Ord. K, you ought to post a few pictures of your rig. How does your objective lens size compare to the MR-10 (which I think is ~37 mm)? I also picked up a Bobro mount in the deal for the GDI. I guess I will flip that and pick up some low rings then. Thanks again for the help.

The GDI seems about 3/4" taller looking at pics and comparing to my setup (LRB M25 with 20MOA extended rail). You'll definitely want the lowest rings you can get. My USO 1.8-10x37 has no issues with the objective clearance, but the eyepiece is only about 1/16" off the rear sight with it fully lowered. Even with the lowest rings and the GDI mount you'll have plenty of clearance.

And thank you for the compliment on my rifle.

Last edited:
I have a Sadlak Ind. mount, badger ordnance (low) rings and a USO 1.5-6 sitting on my SA. There is about 1/8" clearance between the scope and rear sight, about as low as you can get without serious modification. It took a few bad purchases for me to justify spending the $$ but I have been very pleased with this set up.

I also use the Sadlak mount on my M1A. i have also tried the Bassett but prefer the Sadlak.

Good luck,

The Canadian made C.A.S.M mount I have is the most solid piece I could find, no chances of loosening or warping the action and I have had dead nuts zero since the day I threw it on. It also has a 200yd zeroed peep hole so you can use your irons in a pinch.

I guess I am NOT set on the QD then. Thanks for the info Ord. K, you ought to post a few pictures of your rig. How does your objective lens size compare to the MR-10 (which I think is ~37 mm)? I also picked up a Bobro mount in the deal for the GDI. I guess I will flip that and pick up some low rings then. Thanks again for the help.
Here is my rig, a standard SA M1A with bedded stock, though not exactly a precision rig; it more than exceeds my needs for a hunting rifle in terms of accuracy and reliability.
DSCN0959_zps8a1492f8.jpg.html

DSCN0957_zps237763c9.jpg.html

Last edited:
Sorry I can not for the life of me get my pics to work on this post

Thanks again for all of the help. I found a pair of Burris XTR lows in my junk drawer. If they are 30 mm I will give them a shot, and report the results.
-BigAndy

Just to throw it out there, lap those XTR rings before dropping your USO in them. Hate to see you damage your scope tube with so so rings.

Last edited:
Just to throw it out there, LSP those XTR rings before dropping your USO in them. Hate to see you damage your scope tube with so so rings.

+1 on this.

No sense mounting up a high quality optic (and a ~$2.2k one at that) in bargain-basement rings! You have spared no expense thus far given your choice of mounts, rifles, stocks, etc., and there is no reason to get cheap now mounting up your scope with "whatever you've got laying around in a drawer" rings (and you yourself DID refer to the drawer they were found in as the "junk drawer")! ;) Just saying...