• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need more consistent powder measuring

I use a Harrels and a Scott Parker tuned beam scale. Throw a charge .2gr low and pick up a pinch of powder with my fingies. Then I go "instinctive" and go by feel letting go of the powder, I go quick when I get in a rhythm and much faster than using a trickler, that's to the kernel for precision rifle.

For the rifles and cartridges that I don't plan on using for precision I go even faster and am happy with .1gr which is faster still.

Throwing charges in the Dillon 550 for plinking ammo, could be .2gr off, eh who cares.

For a while Scott Parker scales seemed to be a year turn around. I have 1010 I was going to send in. I think i figured out that my V3 is only going to be $600 after I sell off some scales and tricklers.

For a while Scott Parker scales seemed to be a year turn around. I have 1010 I was going to send in. I think i figured out that my V3 is only going to be $600 after I sell off some scales and tricklers.

I was lucky and got my SP scale back in 3 weeks but I don't know if I'd chance it again.

If I was young and shot more I'd make the investment in a V3 too. US FS is closed in my area so no firearms or long range til whenever. Normally I'm lucky if I put 100 rounds a month through my centerfires so....

RCBS Chargemaster Lite. I have it. I use it a lot, and I like it a lot. Currently selling for $329 .

The number/control pad is a glass touch screen. It stands up to heavy usage without deteriorating like the membrane switches on several other affordable measures.

In between measures; I have time to seat a bullet and not a lot else.

Greg

Last edited:
You could do a old trick I learn is to count each kernel. Make a small pile of powder then take your used credit card and chop it up in .1gr. 4 kernels to a .1gr. No Battery power not needed for this trick.
You sure we are talking about the same kind powder?🤔

I’ve been running a lynmen Gen5 powder scale for the last two years and it works well enough but the consistently of the throws is never spot on either a little light or a little over. Now I’m looking to step into something a little more precise with out breaking the bank, any suggestions?
I have been running the A&D 120 FXi with Autoloader and Autotrickler since first version. No running the V3 with the Area 419 enhanced tray, powder drop tube and powder cup. Having the Bluetooth ability to change loads is a huge time saver when doing OCW or ladders.
Always drops within .02 grain (1 kernel) in 8-9 seconds. It takes longer to remove the pan, dump the powder and return the pan. It previously took 1 1/2 - 2 hours to do 50 rounds from Seating primers to In the Box. Now I do it in 35-40 minutes. And I always get low single digit SDs. Last week I was experimenting with my new .224 Valkyrie and ran 40 rounds over the MagnetoSpeed with an SD - 8.9 fps.
The set up will cost you more than $1000, but it is worth every penny.

obviously my question isn't clear, so let me attempt this again? it is on. with weight sitting on the scale while it's turned on the entire time. I've also noticed drift while actually using............. Is anybody experiencing float, or has anybody tested their scale for float?

I'm so sorry to be the technical term nazi here, as you were very close, but it's referred to as balance drift. 🤓

As others have mentioned balances run better when powered on 24/7/365. Temperature and humidity swings will affect your balance zero, as will dust, drafts, & static.

For those recommending the Autotrickler V3 are you meaning the full system with Autotrickler and Autothrow or just the trickler w/balance? I realize the naming convention has always been a bit dubious, just looking for clarity, thanks! I have the V2 Trickler and A&D FX-120i and it is awesome!

For those recommending the Autotrickler V3 are you meaning the full system with Autotrickler and Autothrow or just the trickler w/balance? I realize the naming convention has always been a bit dubious, just looking for clarity, thanks! I have the V2 Trickler and A&D FX-120i and it is awesome!

Since they're referencing the speed aspect, I'm sure they're referring to the Autotrickler and Autothrow combo. Nothing fast about dumping a bulk charge and then swapping over and having the scale trickle it up.

I run a chargemaster lite these days and it does fine for most stuff. I've only caught it drifting once and it was because there was a kernel of powder up under the platen. I will say, throwing really large extruded powders (RL33, N570, etc) it is slow and prone to over-throwing (maybe 10%-15%). And sometimes when i watch it during the final trickling and see what effect one kernel has on charge weight, I become a little suspicious of its accuracy. Sometimes 1 kernel gives a 0.1 gr bump, sometimes 3-4 kernels for that same .1gr bump, sometimes it seems like 2-3 kernels gets me .3-.4 grains over. No obvious 1 kernel = .07 gr math or anything like that, that i can see anyways.

So i agree, It's tough to play in a world of consistency where .1 gr is the standard resolution and the most common scales we use can just barely achieve it. I'm leaning more and more towards pulling the trigger on the V3 as well.