• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need more velocity from my SPS-T (308 Winchester)

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    I really like the accuracy from my 20" SPS-T using 175g SMKs. I just did a round-robin today (32F weather) with Varget,and my optimum timing seems to be around 44.5 grains, and it achieves around 1/2 MOA accuracy.

I'm shooting Winchester brass, BR-2 primers, and the OAL is just under maximum magazine length (~2.82")

I'm disappointed however in the velocity from my shorter barrel. I'm averaging around 2550 fps, not enough to effectively clear 1000 meters. I chose Varget because I'm a big fan of Hodgdon's Extreme powders due to their single base formula and their claim of the best temp stability. They have proven their worth for me in my 6.5x47 Lapua (H4350) and 7mmRM (Retumbo).

If I wanted to play with more speed, what other powders are recommended? I hear RL-15 offers better speed, but it is double base, and I hear a lot bad things about their temp stability.

Does anyone think I could get away with H4895? How about Viht N140 or N135? Are single-based Viht powders as fast as RL-15?

Thank you

untitled.jpg

Re: Need more velocity from my SPS-T (308 Winchester)

I getting 2600 FPS with 42.7 grains of IMR 8208 XBR with room to spare.

You know the M118LR averages at 2600 fps. Takes 42 MOA to get to 1K.

44.0 gr of RL-15 gets me to 2650fps, and about 32 moa to 1k, but my barrel is a bit longer(24) but my partner shoots the same load from his 21 and gets almost the same vel/moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EdZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I getting 2600 FPS with 42.7 grains of IMR 8208 XBR with room to spare. </div></div>

Very interesting. Thanks.

Is this stuff readily available yet? Do you happen to know if it burns faster, or about the same as Varget?

2550fps wil do just fine with the 175's at 1000.
    Use wind constant of 11 for 1000 yards and fudge it just a little for 1000 meters.