• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need New Kicks, Help me out.

Awag1000

Interstellar Weapon Systems
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2020
Eastern South Carolina
Im in need of new shoes. I plan on wearing these year round (100F to -10F)
Things I want:
C1omfortable
Waterproof or Quick drying
Light(er) weight
Semi-Aggressive tread
Bland Coloring

things that I DONT want:
Any form of reflector.
Bright colors
High shaft boots
>$200 per pair
trying to keep it simple. let me know what you would recommend. thanks for your time.

If you're into cowboy boots, the georgia work ones are the most comfortable I've found. I used them for work/home in similar temps and requirments. Held up better than ariats and justins.

:whistle::ROFLMAO:
10A9E012-CA93-45E9-A319-9291CF252D7A.jpeg

LOWA Zephyr or Innox.
With GorTex for wet and cold. Without for hot.

Be sure to rotate out and let them dry on the inside. You won't have to by again for the next 5 years.

Different colors and heights. Several production locations, all in Europe. I have never seen any de-laminate or have sewing blow out.
Best thing for my feet I have ever come across.

./

For that kind of $ the best your gonna do is Thorogood Boots. Made in USA and very comfortable. Check out Midwest Boots

Reactions: XP1K
I bought a pair of Salomon Speedcross 5's to use as shooting shoes but they are so comfortable I wear them all the time. They would fit your requirements nicely.

Depends on your foot.

I have a low volume girly width foot.
I love La Sportiva boots and shoes. I have 3 different pairs of boots, 2 shoes.

Figure out what you are doing, go to a GOOD shoe/boot shop where they know how to fit you.

And cheap isnt the way I choose footwear.

Keens are alright. The soles start to come unglued around the 2 year mark. Their "Built in America" line tend to hold up better.

I got some Thorogood boots last week and I'm impressed. Damn fine boots but they are a little pricey and a little heavy.

Given your preferences above, I would suggest the Soloman Quest 4D 3GTX. I have this boot also. They are lightweight, waterproof, and provide a lot of ankle support. The insoles are tailored for a flatter arch, but that's my only complaint.

Reactions: Changed
I like the Adidas Terrex line. They have GTX versions that have goretex waterproofing.

ok, put a neighbors house fire out tonight barefoot and got glass in me foots. not bright

I buy Danner made in USA line. Think they're quarry?

I don't wear shoes unless it's just around the house. 10" boots with safety toes and shanks.

Why not protect your feet when you're out and about? A bit of heat and weight are nothing when you realize how much life sucks when you smash a foot.

I'll add +1 on the Salomon lines. Check out their lower cut stuff for more everyday style wear.

That said, I've had this pair for a year or so and wear to work around the house and to matches. Again you probably want more along the shoe vs hiking boot height but I'm happy with the durability, comfort, and water resistance.

Reactions: Bakwa
Im in need of new shoes. I plan on wearing these year round (100F to -10F)
Things I want:
C1omfortable
Waterproof or Quick drying
Light(er) weight
Semi-Aggressive tread
Bland Coloring

things that I DONT want:
Any form of reflector.
Bright colors
High shaft boots
>$200 per pair
trying to keep it simple. let me know what you would recommend. thanks for your time.

Salomon XA Pro GTX
Salomon X Ultra GTX

Go to REI or whatever place within an hour of you has a wide selection and go through the Salomon models. Find the style that fits you the best and you won’t regret em.

Keens are alright. The soles start to come unglued around the 2 year mark. Their "Built in America" line tend to hold up better.

I got some Thorogood boots last week and I'm impressed. Damn fine boots but they are a little pricey and a little heavy.

Given your preferences above, I would suggest the Soloman Quest 4D 3GTX. I have this boot also. They are lightweight, waterproof, and provide a lot of ankle support. The insoles are tailored for a flatter arch, but that's my only complaint.

Damn! 2 years. I get maybe a year out of any brand. Keens or salomons are the way to go.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Mine leaked too.
I’ve owned seven or eight pairs of Moabs over the last 15-20 years. They were my go to low top hiker and casual shoe for a long time. The last two pairs I bought weren’t nearly as good quality as my earlier Merrells.

Check out Oboz, they are comfortable and durable.

There really aren't any options that will be good at both 100F and -10F...How much time are you spending in those temps?

I spend a lot of time outside professionally. If its hot out, GoreTex is an absolute no-go. Unless you like sweaty, soggy feet. I'd rather have something light, breathable, and quick to dry. Solomons are a great place to start. Merrell, LaSportiva, and other respected brands are solid as well. And they usually have decent military discounts through ExpertVoice. For cold/wet, it really depends. For just general outdoor chores/go to the store/get the mail, I'd get some beefier GTX Solomons like have already been recommended.

Most of the shoes out today are only going to last a year or two of daily use. I don't mind, because the tech is always improving anyway.

Check out Oboz, they are comfortable and durable.

I bought a pair of Oboz earlier this summer. I forget which model (non-gortex). They are soooo comfy. My new favorites. I have Salomon Ultra 3 Gtx as well and I do like those quite a bit too. However, they suck ass in the summer because my feet get soooo hot because of the gortex.

I just got a pair of the Danner Fullbores and they are awesome. Definitely going to be my new go-to.

Reactions: jda2631
1597081844744.png

you can make em your self just need a pet store and a will to skin a cat lol . At least you know they weren't made in a Chinese sweat shop
1597081990237.png

or moose very soft and comfortable and warm add a heal and you can have really nice arch support .
sorry lost the pic with the seal skin ones man they looked comfortable + you could drive snowflakes to tears with them .

Last edited:
I like Salomon, Merrell, and Rocky in warm weather. Danners are my cold weather boots

Danner, Keen, and Merrell in that order!!! The Danner (2 pair in 15 years) are more heavy and better for cold weather. The Keen (2 pair in 5 years) are pretty durable and good for everyday use. I love Merrell but almost every pair(5 in 8 years) I have had the sole come unglued.

I’m in for Oboz as well. Light very comfortable and cool. Water proof and don’t leak. Had mine going on two year and wear them 3-4 days a week. Still look fairly new

Reactions: D_TROS
For that kind of $ the best your gonna do is Thorogood Boots. Made in USA and very comfortable. Check out Midwest Boots
Thorogood are excellent work and woods cruising boots. I’ve been wearing mine a couple years. They’re holding up well. I paid slightly more than the OP $200 limit but I didn’t wait for a sale either.
Red Wing also makes a great boot. I’ve had mine 10 years and 2 sets of soles. They’re back up boots now.

I don’t care for gore Tex in warm weather. My boots are unlined leather. Just seal them well with your preferred boot grease.

Reactions: PAYDIRT
I agree with the Merrill Moab recommendations. I've had four or five pairs in a row. My last purchase was the version that is water resistant/GoreTex. I got those last year and they seem to be stiffer, heavier and still dont feel quite as broke in. I will go back to the regular Moabs next time. After I wear a pair for a couple years, I rotate them into my yard lawnmower work shoes.

I upgraded a few years ago from the Merrell Moabs to a pair of Asolo Neutrons from Sierra Trading Post online and haven't looked back. I also have some Salomon Quests, and they're nice too, but they're made in China. That site sells several brands that are either made or designed in Italy or nearby such as Asolo, Alico, Zamberlan, Lowa, Hanwag, etc. Italians figured out hiking boots a long time ago.

If your feet are even slightly prone to sweat, I suggest staying away from proprietary waterproofing systems such as those by Danner, Keen, etc. Goretex is the way to go for waterproofing and moisture control.

If you haven't tried Altras, you should take a look. They do run a little small (example: I wear a 9-9 1/2 in most shoes and buy a 10 Altra). Have run multiple Ultras in them and use them day to day. They are made in the correct shape of your foot - amazing to me how most other shoes aren't.

They have 2 versions of the Lone Peak but here is a link to the weatherproof version:

• Love
Reactions: superde
So I've been meaning to put my Altama Maritime Assaults through their paces. They come with rubber insoles to wear them without socks as they are meant to be worn wet and dry. (You purchase foam insoles separately) (I did not) I've been wearing them at work for about two months now with socks using the rubber insoles and they've been great. Comfy but ridged enough for hard work 11+ hours a day.

Well just this weekend I took them out on an outdoor adventure in the Olympic National Park in WA. Wore them swimming in lake Crescent, changed clothes, wore them in the car driving to the Hoh Rainforest trailhead, they were nearly dry by then (an advertised feature is the fast dry time) and then I hiked ten miles in them with no blisters. They felt great. My feet were a little sore but I literally jogged the five miles back to the car with a 20 pound bag on my back.

I thought the barefoot wet shoe thing was BS because I've gotten so royally screwed by worthless water shoes and wet chaffs in the past. Not here, Altama Maritimes are the real deal.

If you haven't tried Altras, you should take a look. They do run a little small (example: I wear a 9-9 1/2 in most shoes and buy a 10 Altra). Have run multiple Ultras in them and use them day to day. They are made in the correct shape of your foot - amazing to me how most other shoes aren't.

They have 2 versions of the Lone Peak but here is a link to the weatherproof version:

I didn't know what I'd been missing. I've been running Atlra Lone Peak 4's for a couple months for matches and a trip in the Colorado mountains. They are the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. The toe box is huge and your toes never feel crowded or rub against the side. I have read mixed reviews about their waterproof shoes (membrane not lasting long), so I have shied away from them. I now have 3 pairs of Altra's.