• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need New Kicks, Help me out.

I have a pair of the regular lone peak with the waterproofing and they have worked well. Just ordered a pair of the mid-top.

You are correct though... the toe box is amazing. Especially when you are doing long distance and your feet swell. Combine with injinji socks and there's nothing like them!

Reactions: superde
Take a look at the LL Bean 200 gram thinsulate kangaroo boots . I wear the non insulated ones from 100-about 25-30 degrees. I wear them with a liner sock in summer and thicker Marino wool sock in colder temps . It works .
At -10 though 200/400 gram thinsulate won’t cut it .

Keens are alright. The soles start to come unglued around the 2 year mark. Their "Built in America" line tend to hold up better.

I got some Thorogood boots last week and I'm impressed. Damn fine boots but they are a little pricey and a little heavy.

Given your preferences above, I would suggest the Soloman Quest 4D 3GTX. I have this boot also. They are lightweight, waterproof, and provide a lot of ankle support. The insoles are tailored for a flatter arch, but that's my only complaint.
Keens have been my everyday shoe for years now. Is the Built in America line easier to track down online or do they make a big deal about it on store displays? I'm a little embarrassed to say I've never noticed..

It is to my great dismay that my feet have, at this stage in my life, transitioned to WIDE. I just spent a year of hell wearing my old size and suffering the consequences.

Another vote for Solomon's.
I wasn't a believer until I started wearing them myself. Now with the exception of certain duty boots, Solomon is my go to.

Last edited:
I like to blend in to my surroundings. I live in the burbs and work in the city. I've found a comfortable medium in the Vans SK8-Hi MTE line of shoes. I have these. Comfort is off the charts, look great with jeans or TD Carlos Ray pants and a button down. They have a ton of different colors. Its 100+ here in Texas and I wear them daily. The other day we caught a torrential downpour. I stepped off the curb into a river of water running down the street.. Feet stayed dry. I love them so much i bought a second pair for when these wear out.

Agree with the Keen suggestions. Bought a pair off the clearance rack at Cabela's like 8yrs ago and they're still going.

Not everyday wear, but I almost always wear em to the range, matches, etc.

Keens have been my everyday shoe for years now. Is the Built in America line easier to track down online or do they make a big deal about it on store displays? I'm a little embarrassed to say I've never noticed..

You can find them on their website. Store availability is hit or miss.

Reactions: sjoliat
Love my Danner mountain 600s. Comfortable, lightweight, water resistant, and below $200. Checked all my boxes. In fact, good enough to buy for my entire family.