• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing need opinions

infamous-1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
So I am in the market for a new hunting rifle. I have two in mind, The two being the Savage American classic and the 700 cdl sf. Now I know rifles are very much a personal preference thing, I currently own a Remington and I do like it. But I was curious if anyone had any experience with either of these rifles? Are the Savages all they are cracked up to be for accuracy? I mean the cdl sf up here in Canada is around 1000 compared to the Savage at right around 700. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: need opinions

I can tell you this, I have owned both and the only ones that broke were the savages, now I've got mostly remington, with a splash of browning and cz for variety

Both are decent rifles, kind of a chevy/ford deal. I have seen both break.
I would prefer a Tikka over either, myself.

Really hard to go wrong with either, they're thoroughbreds.

Have you considered anything from the Weatherby lineup? I'm a big fan of the Mark V if it's in your budget, but otherwise the vanguard series are nice too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookturnr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can tell you this, I have owned both and the only ones that broke were the savages, now I've got mostly remington, with a splash of browning and cz for variety </div></div>

I am curious to know what broke? I have never broken a bolt gun. I'm not saying that they are unbreakable but, unless your swinging it like a club or shooting hot hand loads.

Savage is the only guns I will own & build on.
Never had a issue with them or "breaking" on me, ever.
When I hear that a Savage "broke" & no mention of exactly what that leaves me wondering as I have never seen one fail. Lots of "I heard" stuff out there though.
Accuracy these days are good for all the brands, but still Savages tend to be a tad better even with the barrel chatter looks. This all depends on the load being used in any gun.

never really looked into weatherby. Also never had the chance to play with one, I also will not really take into account of one man supposedly having a savage "break". Like someone said unless your using it to dig a hole it should be ok. Thanks for the input, I believe iam going to try out the savage american classic

To clarify, I had two savages break. First was a 204 ruger that shot very well, then the ejector broke into 3 pieces during a groundhog hunt. This was at about the 600 rd. mark and it was with factory hornady ammunition. The second was in 30/06 with the accutrigger and the trigger lever broke during a range day. Neither was subjected to hard use, but both failed. In contrast, a couple of my remingtons do see some realitively hard use and have never stopped working.

I own an M700 CDL SF in .308. I absolutely love it and it is my go to whitetail rifle. I am partial to Remington and own many M700s and this one is certainly on par. It is a great rifle, accurate, and deadly. It does exactly what I need it to, when I need it to, without failure. The looks and feel are also there!

I love mine and I do not plan to get rid of it. I would suggest you pick one up, but once again, I am partial. I don't own any Savage rifles, for no particular reason really. Remington has always worked for me and thus the reason they control over half my safe!

I would go with the Remington out of those 2. I have never been a Savage fan, but, if I were picking from all guns out there for the money I would get a Browning A-bolt.

I own an M700 CDL SF in .308. I absolutely love it and it is my go to whitetail rifle. I am partial to Remington and own many M700s and this one is certainly on par. It is a great rifle, accurate, and deadly. It does exactly what I need it to, when I need it to, without failure. The looks and feel are also there!

I love mine and I do not plan to get rid of it. I would suggest you pick one up, but once again, I am partial. I don't own any Savage rifles, for no particular reason really. Remington has always worked for me and thus the reason they control over half my safe!

I agree I love my Remington 700 it is a great rifle but I am wanting to make a long range gun and I am going to change the stock and do some mods to it. I have a buddy that shoots savages in a.270 and loves it. Savage is coming up in the world. If I was to buy anything other that a Rem 700 it would be a Savage.

I really like the savages. I shoot them in f-class and hunt with them. I have a few Remingtons also but the savages have alway shot better. I have had neither fail on me but u can work on savages without a lathe.