• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need optics for my AR

Phaseshift

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'll be building my AR soon and I'm having trouble deciding what optic to use. It will be used mostly for range time and the inevitable zombie apocalypse. I found my way here after much research on the many different types of scopes out there. What I want from a scope is the ability to do CQB and also do some long range shots. First and foremost before I even put on the optics I will be getting the hang of my sights.

My budget is 1000.

I have a few in mind already and would like to hear your opinions, the first is the Viper Vortex PST 1-4, Trijicon TR-24, Burris XTR, US Optics 1-4x, SWFA SS 1-4x

My top two choices are the SWFA SS 1-4x and the US Optics 1-4x(but this is 200 over my budet + mount)

I saw that SWFA was doing a 200 off on their new 1-6x scope and I was wondering if I should lean towards that since the price will be almost the same as the SS 1-4?

Re: Need optics for my AR

Does your budge include mounting hardware?
The XTR scopes are very good, they aren't the best out there but you. Wont be disapointed
If you can find one for a good price do a NF 1x4. Thats my dream setup. I think Leupold just came out with a 1x6 as well

So far I am pretty impressed with my bargain scope on my SCAR. Range report coming soon. I have a leupold VX-R 1.25x4 firedot on mine. So far I have been very impressed. Hopefully, my range report will be done this weekend. Good scope for 500.00 once piece mount took it to 600.00 and miney left for a docter optic on a canted mount

Looking for an optic that will do CQB and long range is like trying to find a high performance car that also gets good gas mileage.

My advise would be to pick which is more important to you now and get that, then save up for a second optic later.

I'd just get some flavor of Aimpoint in a LaRue, Bobro, ADM or whatever quick detach mount and then get something along the lines of a 2.5-10X later. For the price, I like the Nightforce 2.5-10X32.

This has been my experience, anyway. I've been there and done what you are considering. At 1X, it still isn't going to be as fast as a red dot, and at longer ranges you are likely going to be finding yourself often wishing for more magnification.

Getting something general purpose leaves you with something that excels at nothing.

You should prob check the reticles in person before you buy. The problem with the Vortex and the Meopta is that both reticles are somewhat faint without illumination--ie when yer batteries go dead you lose huge functionality with scope. I got rid of my Meopta after a very short period of use. The idea of the reticle was great--but I couldn't see it for shit when the illum wasn't turned on. The Vortexs are along the same lines, it seems to me.

Love the TR24. It is fast as nuts, the tube obscures very little of your vision, it is nearly like using a red dot. Sure you lose out on holdovers past 300 yards. But from 0-200 yards or 0-300 yards this thing is both the fastest of all the scopes you named and basically their equal in precision.

Love the SS scopes as well--particularly the ones with the donut of death or whatever it's called. Compared to a TR24 you lose a little bit of FOV at room distance, not sure if the tube is longer or if it's the big illum knob on the side. But it's noticeable. The SS reticle without a battery is awesome. The illum is just icing on the cake--the reticle is so easy and obvious to pick up you don't need it.

Those are the two scopes I've owned of the above that I've kept. Between the two, the TR24 is about 6 ounces lighter--my SS 1-4 comes in at 19.5 oz with butler creeks, my TR24 is 14 oz (no caps though). So maybe it's only a 4 oz difference. But it's noticeable. If I had to pick one for most of MY real use (which is room distance to 300 yards) the TR24 would be the winner. Prob clear winner. For dialing and shooting further, the SS is the clear winner. The 1-6 will be sweet, I'd guess. But again even a few ounces heavier yet again than the TR24.

The USO scope I have no personal experience with.

But if this is your Zombie scope then you might want to consider the reticle pretty carefully. What works for a 3 gunner who changes batteries once a month might not work for you. You will likely want a reticle that you can see fast and easy when your batteries are dead.