• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need scope mount for AR-15 with carry handel

cuirc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2023
    Poughkeepsie n. y.
    I need to mount a quality scope for long range (1000) yds shooting on an AR 15 that has the carry handle. I see there is at least one, the SMITH ENTERPRISE, Carry Handle Scope Mount. Does any one know how good this mount is; will it hold its zero with say 500 rounds fired.

Nice of you to respond could you be a little more specific
    The Larue accarizer was built specifically for your use case. It uses the carry handle and front site tower as anchors for a picatinny rail. From there, you can use any scope mount that fits the purpose. From their website…

“We were approached with a request to modernize an existing surplus of Vietnam-era carbine style rifles with fixed carry handles and A2 front sight posts.

The solution needed functionality to mount modern accessories like lights, lasers, and optics while maintaining the existing receiver and leaving the barrel in place.

Made of aluminum used in advanced Jet Fighters and weighing in at just 8.2 ounces, our new LaRue AccARizer™ (Accessory AR Riser) is the result of this project.

The AccARizer™ allows for M-Lok accessories to be mounted on the 3 and 9 o’clock positions, as well as a full MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny Rail along the top.

With this rail, you can modernize older rifles that have a fixed carry handle receiver and carbine length gas system and A2 front sight post.

The provided hardware uses the existing mounting hole in the carry handle and replaces the front sight post, with no permanent modifications to the firearm required.

This also allows rifles on governmental and departmental loans to be modernized without significant changes to the rifle’s initially provided configuration – If you are an LE or Gov agency looking to modernize a portion of your armory, reach out to us directly for bulk sales.

The rail also ships with iron sights that can be mounted along the pre-threaded holes along the top. These 1911-style sights allow for rapid target acquisition and engagement if no optic is mounted.

We are offering our new LaRue AccARizer™ rail (with iron sights) and a LaRue QD mount of your choice to bring your carry-handle to the future for $199 and, for $100 more, snag an MBT Trigger to complete your setup.”

Reactions: simonp and cuirc
    Whow now that is specific thank you. My granddaughter and I are shooting in the 1000 yd match at camp Perry this June I am using my M-24 She was suppose to use my 40-x in 223 but yesterday the trigger broke and I have to find a new one. The AR-15 is a pre ban H bar match target model by Colt so it is worth a decent penny and I won’t modify it in any permanent manner.

Thanks for your info

You are one of the very very few people who have a non-meme use for such a product.

Be prepared for people talking shit though

I assume you live in a state like MA where ‘pre-ban’ still has a relevant meaning

Reactions: cuirc
    I thought the accarizer was just meme bait. But, I showed it to a hunting buddy that is a cop. He was all like “wow, there’s a ton of Leo carry handle guns that could benefit from this. It’s a great idea…”

I assume swapping out the upper with a flat top target upper for the match isn't allowed?

Get the Smith or an ARMS carry handle mount and some rings for the scope.

You will also want a cheek piece. Set it up like this if you’re limited to your Colt H-BAR ( I would want a National Match upper free-floated, not a typical 20” non-floated upper):

iu

Get the Smith or an ARMS carry handle mount and some rings for the scope.

You will also want a cheek piece. Set it up like this if you’re limited to your Colt H-BAR ( I would want a National Match upper free-floated, not a typical 20” non-floated upper):

iu
    Deets on the cheek rest?

Somewhere in my pile of old parts I actually have a weaver rail mount that fits into a harry handle and still lets you use the sights.
    I have no clue where it is however.

Whow now that is specific thank you. My granddaughter and I are shooting in the 1000 yd match at camp Perry this June I am using my M-24 She was suppose to use my 40-x in 223 but yesterday the trigger broke and I have to find a new one. The AR-15 is a pre ban H bar match target model by Colt so it is worth a decent penny and I won’t modify it in any permanent manner.

Thanks for your info
    IMHO it would be more effective to buy an aftermarket trigger for your 40X.
    Good Luck

Reactions: 6.5SH and LRRPF52
    Somewhere in my pile of old parts I actually have a weaver rail mount that fits into a harry handle and still lets you use the sights.
    I have no clue where it is however.

I plan to the Timoney is the one I hope to find I will start looking today. I only got this rifle recently. I didn't realize it had a 1-14 twist and when I tried 80 grain bullets they made beautiful key holes so I seriously thinking of having it re-barreled with a 1-7 twist.
    Do you have much experience with this mount arrangement? One bolt to hold the mount and scope in-place and get less than MOA shooting is I don't know! I may need to use it in a 1000 yd competition unless I can get my 40-X repaired in time.
    Thank you for tour input.

I plan to the Timoney is the one I hope to find I will start looking today. I only got this rifle recently. I didn't realize it had a 1-14 twist and when I tried 80 grain bullets they made beautiful key holes so I seriously thinking of having it re-barreled with a 1-7 twist.
    Do you have much experience with this mount arrangement? One bolt to hold the mount and scope in-place and get less than MOA shooting is I don't know! I may need to use it in a 1000 yd competition unless I can get my 40-X repaired in time.
    Thank you for tour input.

Here would be my advice.

The gun is worth a LOT more in collector value if it's left in it's original factory configuration.

You can easily swap out the entire upper without difficulty (usually) and set it aside and put a different upper on and then go back as needed.

Keep what you have as original
    The 1-14 twist would be for shooting light bullets which is what it was designed for.

The mount I had was solid enough but I was using it at 100 / 200 yards with one of the first red dot sights.
    This was on one of the rare preban green label Colt ARs that was ultralight with the adjustable stock & fast twist.

Rather than go through the expense of re barreling your AR and then getting a special cheek riser and a mount for the carry handle, just get a new upper, they probably run about $500 for a good one.

Pop the 2 pins, take off the old upper, put a new flat top upper with a target barrel on, put the pins in place, go shoot.

Then when you are done, put your rifle back to the original configuration.

Also at 1000 yards the trigger might be an issue if it's the gritty original heavy pull trigger.

That could also be swapped out for a drop in target trigger or a national match trigger group, and then be brought back to original trigger group so long as you understand how to put triggers in and out.

Reactions: simonp and cuirc
    Here would be my advice.

The gun is worth a LOT more in collector value if it's left in it's original factory configuration.

You can easily swap out the entire upper without difficulty (usually) and set it aside and put a different upper on and then go back as needed.

Keep what you have as original
    The 1-14 twist would be for shooting light bullets which is what it was designed for.

The mount I had was solid enough but I was using it at 100 / 200 yards with one of the first red dot sights.
    This was on one of the rare preban green label Colt ARs that was ultralight with the adjustable stock & fast twist.

Rather than go through the expense of re barreling your AR and then getting a special cheek riser and a mount for the carry handle, just get a new upper, they probably run about $500 for a good one.

Pop the 2 pins, take off the old upper, put a new flat top upper with a target barrel on, put the pins in place, go shoot.

Then when you are done, put your rifle back to the original configuration.

Also at 1000 yards the trigger might be an issue if it's the gritty original heavy pull trigger.

That could also be swapped out for a drop in target trigger or a national match trigger group, and then be brought back to original trigger group so long as you understand how to put triggers in and out.
    Thank you for your input it is well appreciated. But let me clarify something In the same reply I was talking about two guns the AR-15 and the Remington 40-X The AR i would not do anything to alter its value hence my interest in the handle mount.
    The Remington, also a 223 has been re-barrelled and it is a 1-14 twist. The AR is a 1-9 twist and will handle heavy bullets better than light ones. Since the 40-X is no longer original its collector value is low But its shooting value is high hence my thinking of re-barreling. Particularly since the "rifle ballx" trigger is inoperable and must be changed.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Thank you for your input it is well appreciated. But let me clarify something In the same reply I was talking about two guns the AR-15 and the Remington 40-X The AR i would not do anything to alter its value hence my interest in the handle mount.
    The Remington, also a 223 has been re-barrelled and it is a 1-14 twist. The AR is a 1-9 twist and will handle heavy bullets better than light ones. Since the 40-X is no longer original its collector value is low But its shooting value is high hence my thinking of re-barreling. Particularly since the "rifle ballx" trigger is inoperable and must be changed.

Yep, I misunderstood which rifle you were talking about.
    If it's already been changed around, then no harm putting a different barrel on it and getting a better trigger.
    Probably 1:8 or faster twist is what you'll want, but that depends on your exact intended bullet.

Right now t he 40-X is the one with the 1-14 twist and will shoot 55 gr and lighter bullets although the Barns calculator indicates that all the bullets 55 gr and less are close to unstable.
    When I first got the AR about 30 years ago it would not shoot the light bullets that were available at the time a bi-stander at the range, offered that it had 1-9 twist and needed heaver bullets. I don't remember what original bullet I was shooting but when I switched to the 55 grain it stopped key holing. I will measure the twist probably today. Since it is in the cleaning rack.